View Poll Results: Which will be the top 5 movies at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

26 96.30%
  • Fast X

10 37.04%
  • Little Mermaid

10 37.04%
  • Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

6 22.22%
  • Elemental

4 14.81%
  • The Flash

6 22.22%
  • Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

23 85.19%
  • Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

18 66.67%
  • Barbie

2 7.41%
  • Oppenheimer

3 11.11%
  • Blue Beetle

1 3.70%
  • Field (any other film)

2 7.41%
  • Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse

18 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I sorta can't believe that only 37% of us took The Little Mermaid. Early word is that it is going to do about a $105 mil 3-day weekend, rising to north of $125 mil with the Monday holiday. Family films like this typically have long legs. I'm sorry but there's no way this film earns less than $300 mil (and it probably easily surpasses that figure).

A couple good comps -- Aladdin opened to $91 mil and made $355 mil. Jungle Book opened to $103 mil and ended up making $364 mil.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I sorta can't believe that only 37% of us took The Little Mermaid. Early word is that it is going to do about a $105 mil 3-day weekend, rising to north of $125 mil with the Monday holiday. Family films like this typically have long legs. I'm sorry but there's no way this film earns less than $300 mil (and it probably easily surpasses that figure).

A couple good comps -- Aladdin opened to $91 mil and made $355 mil. Jungle Book opened to $103 mil and ended up making $364 mil.
    Newer estimate I heard today was for $118 million. Still strong enough for our Top 5.

Across The Spiderverse is a glorious work of art and an incredible film.

John wick 4 has about 428 million world wide. 186 in North America. It's about to get 20 more from me in digital download dollars.

I’m out…

I foolishly did not vote for Spiderverse and it is killing it at the box office. The opening weekend is going to at least come close to hitting $120 mil. This film is going to make $300 mil, for sure. It is so packed full of art and clever character turns that die hard fans are going to see it 3+ times.

Amazing movie and a huge box office smash.

I am starting to think it may take $300 mil to make the top 5. Wow, what a summer!!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ok, here are the movies I think are going to make $300+ mil

Guardians
    Mermaid
    Spiderverse
    Flash
    Indy 5
    MI: DR1
    and maybe Oppenheimer or Barbie

Stunning summer…

I’m out…

I foolishly did not vote for Spiderverse and it is killing it at the box office.
    I blame it on where it was listed in the poll?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I blame it on where it was listed in the poll?
    Yeah, that is my fault too... I accidentally missed it when making the poll initially and had a small window in which I could add it. The most expedient thing was to add it at the bottom.

Spiderverse has now scored the biggest opening weekend thus far this summer. It is a stunningly good film, in the conversation for the best superhero movie of all time. The art work in the animation is unlike anything I have ever seen on film. The characters are full of emotion and humanity. The plot holds your attention for the entire 2:20 run time (not an easy feat). I am certain this movie is going to do lots of repeat business. I never see movies twice in theaters and am strongly considering taking a second dip into the Spiderverse. That is how good it is.

Mortal lock to be in our top 5 and a strong chance to be the #1 movie of the season.

Spiderverse was just amazing. Absolutely amazing. In the top 5 best superhero movies ever.

Yeah, that is my fault too... I accidentally missed it when making the poll initially and had a small window in which I could add it. The most expedient thing was to add it at the bottom.

Spiderverse has now scored the biggest opening weekend thus far this summer. It is a stunningly good film, in the conversation for the best superhero movie of all time. The art work in the animation is unlike anything I have ever seen on film. The characters are full of emotion and humanity. The plot holds your attention for the entire 2:20 run time (not an easy feat). I am certain this movie is going to do lots of repeat business. I never see movies twice in theaters and am strongly considering taking a second dip into the Spiderverse. That is how good it is.

Mortal lock to be in our top 5 and a strong chance to be the #1 movie of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    Across The Spiderverse is a glorious work of art and an incredible film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Spiderverse was just amazing. Absolutely amazing. In the top 5 best superhero movies ever.
    Wow! I absolutely loved the first one but was going to pass on this one at the theater thinking "Eh, it'll never be as good." But now you guys are making me re-think things.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Wow! I absolutely loved the first one but was going to pass on this one at the theater thinking "Eh, it'll never be as good." But now you guys are making me re-think things.
    We went today and absolutely loved it. It is visually gorgeous. The decision to promote Spider-Gwen to a co-main character was fantastic - her backstory and the way it is animated very much match the Ghost Spider/Spider-Gwen comics. There are wonderful emotional moments. There are awesome fight scenes. And the animation is just so, so creative. It’s one I’m so eager to watch at home with a pause button to fully explore everything they did (but also so ecstatic we saw on the big screen to experience the full visual picture in all its glory). It’s 100% as good as the first one, if not better.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Weekend BO report...

The new film, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, is going to win the weekend with just over $60 mil. That's a decent start for this flick from a franchise that lost a lot of its appeal a long time ago, but it seems quite unlikely to make it to even $200 mil. I don't think Beasts is going to be a player in our contest.

Spiderverse earns $55.4 mil, a drop of just 54% from its opening weekend. Not surprising that this flick is showing strong legs. It is already at $225.5 mil at the domestic boxoffice and is going to end up somewhere around $350 mil. MORTAL LOCK for our top 5.

Little Mermaid is still chugging along with $22.5 mil this weekend. It is at $228.8 mil and is probably going to earn something in the neighborhood of $260 mil.

Guardians 3 made another $7 mil and is now at $335.4 mil. MORTAL LOCK

Fast X is slowing down. It made just $5.2 mil and stands at $138.1 mil. It has no chance in our contest.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    We went today and absolutely loved it. It is visually gorgeous. The decision to promote Spider-Gwen to a co-main character was fantastic - her backstory and the way it is animated very much match the Ghost Spider/Spider-Gwen comics. There are wonderful emotional moments. There are awesome fight scenes. And the animation is just so, so creative. It’s one I’m so eager to watch at home with a pause button to fully explore everything they did (but also so ecstatic we saw on the big screen to experience the full visual picture in all its glory). It’s 100% as good as the first one, if not better.
    So I made a bit of a mistake.

I promised my daughter we would go see Spiderverse together Saturday afternoon. My flights got delayed on Friday night and I didn't get home/to sleep until almost 4 AM. Then was up again at about 6. (Pets!) I was feeling fine all morning so kept my promise to go see the 1PM matinee. It was a beautiful movie and everything everyone says it was. But I was dozing in the middle. I REALLY want to see it again when I've gotten more that 2 hours sleep the night before.

I don't think I would have made it through ANY movie Saturday afternoon.

I'll probably wait until the Blu-Ray comes out and watch it on my screen with my surround and my cheap popcorn.

But yes, even though I was exhausted, it was still a great movie. Just can't wait to see it again.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Fast X is slowing down. It made just $5.2 mil and stands at $138.1 mil. It has no chance in our contest.
    One has to wonder how many more FF movies are left with the franchise's declining box office revenues?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    One has to wonder how many more FF movies are left with the franchise's declining box office revenues?
    Vin says 2 more to wrap it all up.
    https://collider.com/fast-x-three-pa...esel-comments/

Not to yuck on anyone's yum, but we finally went to see this as a family, and this one just missed me completely. No, not completely. The artwork is just phenomenal, and soundtrack is really well done, as well. It is legitimately funny, and the cameos are brilliant, and I'm very sure I didn't come close to even recognizing all of them. But this is not a movie I'll be thinking about in the days to come. It's so divorced from real life that it's just abstract art to me, and I can't really empathize with the characters. Why do things come out where they do? The whole multiverse thing is a big reason why for me, and the multiverse is absolutely essential for every part of this movie. I couldn't even understand the rules for the villain. Why do things happen where they do? It made the crucial fight scenes just random for me. So, for me it is completely forgettable for pretty much everything except the visuals.

But I knew it would appeal to the vast majority of people out there, and every single person in the family loved it besides me. I have to concede that it's a really good film. I definitely picked it in our contest, so at least I anticipated correctly. I still expect to fall flat in the contest because of Oppenheimer, but I also expect that I will enjoy that movie much more than I did this one. We shall see.

Guardians, Spiderverse, Little Mermaid appear to be locks. Mission Impossible will be in the top 5. That leaves the 5th spot up for grabs. People here (myself included) are heavy on Indiana Jones, but early word on the film has been...underwhelming.

Kicking myself for not taking Little Mermaid.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I was worried about The Flash being a spoiler for my picks, but I left it off my top 5 because it's DC, and also because of its lead.
    I'm less worried, and the latter is playing a role in that.

There are a lot of lessons to be learned this weekend. But chief among them is what it’s like for a major motion picture studio to open a movie with largely a number of its cast, primarily its main star, not available to do press.

That’s the big looming question which has been on everyone’s minds in the wake of Ezra Miller’s tabloid laden 2020-2022 in regards to Warner Bros. DC’s $200M The Flash, which isn’t looking good with a 3-day around $60M, off from the $70M-$75M the studio was expecting.
    https://deadline.com/2023/06/box-off...al-1235419478/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Not to yuck on anyone's yum, but we finally went to see this as a family, and this one just missed me completely. No, not completely. The artwork is just phenomenal, and soundtrack is really well done, as well. It is legitimately funny, and the cameos are brilliant, and I'm very sure I didn't come close to even recognizing all of them. But this is not a movie I'll be thinking about in the days to come. It's so divorced from real life that it's just abstract art to me, and I can't really empathize with the characters. Why do things come out where they do? The whole multiverse thing is a big reason why for me, and the multiverse is absolutely essential for every part of this movie. I couldn't even understand the rules for the villain. Why do things happen where they do? It made the crucial fight scenes just random for me. So, for me it is completely forgettable for pretty much everything except the visuals.

But I knew it would appeal to the vast majority of people out there, and every single person in the family loved it besides me. I have to concede that it's a really good film. I definitely picked it in our contest, so at least I anticipated correctly. I still expect to fall flat in the contest because of Oppenheimer, but I also expect that I will enjoy that movie much more than I did this one. We shall see.
    OMG, I am soooo painfully bored with comic book movies, particularly Spider-Man. I doubt I will ever watch this latest one, but if Zendaya is in it I KNOW I won’t. She was stunningly bad in Spider-Man: Far From Home (the last comic book movie I’ve bothered to see) and single-handedly ruined the movie — even though it pretty much sucked anyway.

Greatly looking forward to Oppenheimer. And I didn’t even know there was a new Mission Impossible movie until reading this thread 10 minutes ago. I’ll go see just about anything with Tom Cruise in it, particularly his MI movies.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    OMG, I am soooo painfully bored with comic book movies, particularly Spider-Man. I doubt I will ever watch this latest one, but if Zendaya is in it I KNOW I won’t. She was stunningly bad in Spider-Man: Far From Home (the last comic book movie I’ve bothered to see) and single-handedly ruined the movie — even though it pretty much sucked anyway.

Greatly looking forward to Oppenheimer. And I didn’t even know there was a new Mission Impossible movie until reading this thread 10 minutes ago. I’ll go see just about anything with Tom Cruise in it, particularly his MI movies.
    This movie is animated, you don't have to worry about Zendaya.