View Poll Results: Which will be the top 5 movies at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

26 96.30%
  • Fast X

10 37.04%
  • Little Mermaid

10 37.04%
  • Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

6 22.22%
  • Elemental

4 14.81%
  • The Flash

6 22.22%
  • Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

23 85.19%
  • Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

18 66.67%
  • Barbie

2 7.41%
  • Oppenheimer

3 11.11%
  • Blue Beetle

1 3.70%
  • Field (any other film)

2 7.41%
  • Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse

18 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's good to know that Momoa at least is fun in Fast X. I've yet to see one of his movies, but he was a favorite of mine 100 years ago when I was watching Stargate: Atlantis. He's never struck me as an actor with lots of depth...his part seems to be universal in whatever role he's playing, but it's a fun one.
    Again, I've not seen one of his movies, so he might be the character actor of the century, but if you're gonna get typecast, at least he seems to have done it right.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Might be a contender...

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

^Definitely. It came down to this or The Flash for my fifth and I literally flipped a coin. Most difficult contest thus far...

Whoa... just heard from a Hollywood friend that the early tracking on Transformers: Rise of the Beasts is abysmal. There is a very real chance this film puts up less than $40 mil its opening weekend and does not even make $100 mil in total boxoffice.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Whoa... just heard from a Hollywood friend that the early tracking on Transformers: Rise of the Beasts is abysmal. There is a very real chance this film puts up less than $40 mil its opening weekend and does not even make $100 mil in total boxoffice.
    God. Whenever that franchise fades away, we will all be the better for it.

The Indiana Jones pick may have been a mistake after all.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    The Indiana Jones pick may have been a mistake after all.
    There is a lot of company with that one. Perhaps nostalgia, hoping Indy can have a Maverick like comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    There is a lot of company with that one. Perhaps nostalgia, hoping Indy can have a Maverick like comeback.
    I love Indiana Jones. But that trainwreck of a movie they released absolutely destroyed the nostalgia factor.

The first and third were so good, so fun. The second feels very... dated on rewatch and was never a favorite of mine. But whatever they put together on the fourth movie was offensively terrible.

All I will say is South Park has a brutal but fair take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The first and third were so good, so fun. The second feels very... dated on rewatch and was never a favorite of mine.
    I thought the fourth one was better than the second, honestly. But the main problem with that is just how incredibly low the bar is.

All I will say is South Park has a brutal but fair take on it.

Lordy. Jason, you went there!

Lordy. Jason, you went there!
    At least I did not use the clip where Spielberg and Lucas quite literally rape Indiana Jones. That was a bridge too far, in my opinion.

$67 million opening for Fast X. Not horrible, but not great. It is a little more than Universal's pre-release estimate of $60 million (which may have been a low-ball so they could get all excited when it did better than that number), but it is not a good number historically for this franchise. Every Fast film since Tokyo Drift in 2009 has done better than $70 mil in its opening weekend (I'm not counting Hobbs and Shaw, which was a spin off). F9 did $70 mil on its way to earning $173 million in total domestic boxoffice. If this one is going to end up in the $170 kind of range, and it may not even get to that number, then I just don't see it having much of a chance to reach our top 5 in this loaded summer.

It is also worth noting that Fast X got a B+ cinemascore, which is not a disaster, but not very good either. That is not a great sign for the film generating repeat business or strong word of mouth.

Put another way, if you voted for this flick, you are in trouble. Sorry, bigperm13, BlueDevil2K, bundabergdevil, dball, Gooch, Kdogg, Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15, Native, nmduke2001, and wavedukefan70s. 4 for 5 is going to be the best that you can do.

Meanwhile, it appears Guardians 3 is going to have another strong hold in its 3rd weekend. Early estimates are it will make $32.7 mil, a drop of just 46% from weekend #2. It has already earned $267 mil in total boxoffice and is a mortal lock to pass the $300 mil mark (I will guess that it ends up in about the $330s).

Meh. I'll go see Cruise just for the motorcycle jump.

I'm very glad MLB speeded up the games, finally a good call. Much more entertaining and fewer beer calories.

$67 million opening for Fast X. Not horrible, but not great. It is a little more than Universal's pre-release estimate of $60 million (which may have been a low-ball so they could get all excited when it did better than that number), but it is not a good number historically for this franchise. Every Fast film since Tokyo Drift in 2009 has done better than $70 mil in its opening weekend (I'm not counting Hobbs and Shaw, which was a spin off). F9 did $70 mil on its way to earning $173 million in total domestic boxoffice. If this one is going to end up in the $170 kind of range, and it may not even get to that number, then I just don't see it having much of a chance to reach our top 5 in this loaded summer.

It is also worth noting that Fast X got a B+ cinemascore, which is not a disaster, but not very good either. That is not a great sign for the film generating repeat business or strong word of mouth.

Put another way, if you voted for this flick, you are in trouble. Sorry, bigperm13, BlueDevil2K, bundabergdevil, dball, Gooch, Kdogg, Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15, Native, nmduke2001, and wavedukefan70s. 4 for 5 is going to be the best that you can do.

Meanwhile, it appears Guardians 3 is going to have another strong hold in its 3rd weekend. Early estimates are it will make $32.7 mil, a drop of just 46% from weekend #2. It has already earned $267 mil in total boxoffice and is a mortal lock to pass the $300 mil mark (I will guess that it ends up in about the $330s).
    To be fair, I've never seen a Fast and have no intention of starting now.

Saw wick 4 action packed a bit long .

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Hurry up and vote! The poll will only stay open for 2 days!!

Pick 5 films... not 4 and not 6. Our goal is to see who can get all 5 of the top domestic (US and Canada) boxoffice hits of the summer (May to mid/late September).

Good luck, gonna be a brutal field.
    Is it possible that a field pick makes it through? We might have to wait all the way into October/November to find out, as The Creator hits theaters September 28th. That's a lot of time to keep building hype like this.
    What do you get when you combine elements from the Star Wars, Elysium, and Terminator movies while also throwing the lead from Christopher Nolan’s Tenet into the heart of proceedings? You get The Creator, a new sci-fi action thriller (and original IP, huzzah!) from Gareth Edwards—director of Godzilla and Rogue One—that looks like it might succeed where recent genre fare from the increasingly stale Marvel and Star Wars franchises has failed. Now, with an exciting new trailer, we’ve well and truly set the countdown timer for the film’s September 28 release as this has shot up our list of most-anticipated films for 2023 faster than a blaster bolt.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...46a45e1a&ei=13
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I asked the wife to go this evening.
    Fast x is a no go unless I go with out the wife. She has expressed to me that she has no interest in watching me gaga
    Over the ladies in the film of a franchise made for kids .i said those ladies have just as many wrinkles as you that was not the correct answer.im like gaga Over the guys fair play I'm ok with it .
    That's probably why I'm sitting at the house while they went out for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I asked the wife to go this evening.
    Fast x is a no go unless I go with out the wife. She has expressed to me that she has no interest in watching me gaga
    Over the ladies in the film of a franchise made for kids .i said those ladies have just as many wrinkles as you that was not the correct answer.im like gaga Over the guys fair play I'm ok with it .
    That's probably why I'm sitting at the house while they went out for lunch.
    I'm gonna be laughing all day!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Is it possible that a field pick makes it through? We might have to wait all the way into October/November to find out, as The Creator hits theaters September 28th. That's a lot of time to keep building hype like this.
    Nope... a film released September 28th is not eligible for our contest. When I said, "mid-late September" I was referring to when we would likely stop counting boxoffice numbers and declare our winners. While we don't have a hard and fast cutoff date for film releases, I think anything released after Labor Day is not a summer movie.