Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I did not know about this one, but I love Tony Rice and you are now about to cost me 10 bucks.
    Money well spent. Tony’s cover of “Cold on the Shoulder” is worth it all by itself, just for the interplay between Tony and Jerry Douglas. One of Tony’s best vocals is a bonus.

If you’re unfamiliar with his early work, check out “The United Artists Collection.”

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    If you’re unfamiliar with his early work, check out “The United Artists Collection.”
    If you do that, though, be aware that some songs from "Gord's Gold", which many people are familiar with, are re-recordings and/or remixes. Some songs like "Don Quixote", "Wherefore and Why", "Canadian Railroad Trilogy", and even "Early Morning Rain" sound quite different in their early version compared to the versions you are more likely used to. It's interesting, if you care about such things, but it's a bit jarring if you're not expecting it. For instance, "Early Morning Rain" is basically a country song as delivered in the Collection (which is the original album version). It's the later, Gord's Gold, version that really became popular and got radio airtime. FWIW, it was Lightfoot himself who initiated the re-recordings, as he wasn't happy with the production of the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    There's a good documentary on Gordon from 2019. Shows the flaws and talents of the man. "If You Could Read My Mind"
    On Amazon Prime. Hey I’m watching Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind. Check it out now on Prime Video! https://watch.amazon.com/detail?gti=amzn1.dv.gti.32ba286f-a03c-178c-ade4-c26a6bd50e85&territory=US&ref_=share_ios_movie&r=w eb.

Ode to Gordon (courtesy of ChatGPT)

Thought I would converge 2 threads. Asked ChatGPT to write an ode to Gordon.

I will miss him.

—-

Oh, Gordon Lightfoot, how we mourn
    For the loss of one so great
    A voice that stirred our very souls
    And lyrics that spoke to our fate

Your songs were like a warm embrace
    That held us close through the years
    We laughed and loved, we danced and cried
    As your music touched our fears

From “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”
    To “If You Could Read My Mind”
    Your words were like a window
    To the thoughts we kept inside

Your melodies were like a river
    That flowed through every town
    And though you’ve left this mortal plane
    Your music will never die down

So rest in peace, dear Gordon
    Your legacy will endure
    Your songs will live forever
    And our hearts will forever be sure

That you were one of the greatest
    A true master of your craft
    And though we’ll miss you dearly
    Your music will always last.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I always got a kick out of the fact that he had a compilation album titled Gord's Gold. I went through a big singer-songwriter/folk music phase in the 90s (Phil Ochs, John Prine, Steve Goodman, Steve Forbert, Richard Thompson, Leonard Cohen, Dylan, etc), but I somehow never got around to Gordon Lightfoot. Might have to give Gord's Gold a listen today.

By the way, is Gordon the quintessential anglo-Canadian first name?

This site suggests that Gordon was one of the 10-20 most common Canadian first names from the 1920's through 1960, though it appears to have fallen out of fashion. The same site reports that Gordon never cracked the top 75 in the US.
    Many of the songs on Gord's Gold are not the original recordings; he apparently would get tired of doing this way and that way. A few of them are mish-mashes of multiple songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    If you do that, though, be aware that some songs from "Gord's Gold", which many people are familiar with, are re-recordings and/or remixes. Some songs like "Don Quixote", "Wherefore and Why", "Canadian Railroad Trilogy", and even "Early Morning Rain" sound quite different in their early version compared to the versions you are more likely used to. It's interesting, if you care about such things, but it's a bit jarring if you're not expecting it. For instance, "Early Morning Rain" is basically a country song as delivered in the Collection (which is the original album version). It's the later, Gord's Gold, version that really became popular and got radio airtime. FWIW, it was Lightfoot himself who initiated the re-recordings, as he wasn't happy with the production of the originals.
    There are some great ones at the end of Gord's Gold; I'm particularly partial to Old Dan's Records, Circle of Steel, Carefree Highway, and Cold on the Shoulder.