Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Wouldn't surprise me to see some people in the Republican party push Tucker to run for president. I mean, it worked for Donald Trump, primarily a TV personality, in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me to see some people in the Republican party push Tucker to run for president. I mean, it worked for Donald Trump, primarily a TV personality, in 2016.
    They might, but I hope he doesn't take the bait. The last thing we need in US politics is yet another person whose main occupation seems to be attempting to push us even further apart than we already are.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I expect CNN rushed through the termination of Lemon as soon as it heard Fox's bombshell about Tucker Carlson. Lemon was both liked and admired by the CNN audience. This was an opening to keep it from being the main media news story.

Continuing the riff on Don Lemon, I recently read his book, which he viewed as the logical sequel to James Baldwin's powerful work, "The Fire Next Time." I really liked it. Its title is "This Is the Fire." Hmmm...
    Interesting. Based upon your recommendation I may give it a read. I always thought Lemon was a mediocre interviewer. I don't know if he wrote his own copy but it lacked substance, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That list of ousted talent is a good reminder to talent that no one is irreplaceable.
    I read that Roger Ailes would purposely have the star commentators take nights off just to show them that the ratings held up and that the Fox brand was more important than their personal one

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Fox is likely about to pay up. Again. (And CNN, too.)

Fox News host Tucker Carlson and CNN anchor Don Lemon both left their networks on Monday and have just hired the same powerhouse lawyer to handle their departures, according to multiple reports.

Neither host has announced a lawsuit or dispute against their employers. But the litigator they've retained — Bryan Freedman — has a record of helping TV hosts secure millions from their old networks.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/don-lemon...072746878.html

It will be interesting to see if Fox settles, or goes to court. If what's been read about Carlson is true, their grounds for termination might just stand up before a jury.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I read that Roger Ailes would purposely have the star commentators take nights off just to show them that the ratings held up and that the Fox brand was more important than their personal one
    Not a bad idea. Sports, business, entertainment, there’s always hungry new talent.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Fox is likely about to pay up. Again. (And CNN, too.)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/don-lemon...072746878.html

It will be interesting to see if Fox settles, or goes to court. If what's been read about Carlson is true, their grounds for termination might just stand up before a jury.
    My understanding is Carlson is still being paid per the terms of his contract, despite the firing. If so, he’s got no case. No idea about Lemon.

Nate Silver out at ABC/Disney, not sure what that means for his platform.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...fs-1235401689/

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

There’s a Succession episode about this.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    There’s a Succession episode about this.
    There’s a Game of Thrones episode that’s kind of like this.

“ABC News is expected to keep the FiveThirtyEight brand name, with plans to streamline the site and make it more efficient.”

Ok, so ChatGPT here we come!

Who are they going to find to be wrong about the 2024 election?

Joking aside, Nate and his team hit a home run predicting the 2008 election and appeared to be more accurate than most over subsequent cycles. I suspect he will land somewhere with a fairly high profile if he wants to stay in that line of work.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    My understanding is Carlson is still being paid per the terms of his contract, despite the firing. If so, he’s got no case. No idea about Lemon.
    I had read (sorry, can't find the article right now) that he was cut loose with no severance. Obviously one of the two of us heard wrong. According to my girlfriend, it's probably me.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I had read (sorry, can't find the article right now) that he was cut loose with no severance. Obviously one of the two of us heard wrong. According to my girlfriend, it's probably me.
    If they’re still paying his contract he’s not entitled to severance.

I wonder if Don Lemon is cheesed at getting upstaged by Tucker Carlson one last time.

Really curious to see where Tucker lands. No high-profile “talent” who has left Fox (O’Reilly, M. Kelly, Glenn Beck, C. Wallace) have really made much of a dent outside the Fox platform. I guess there are opportunities with the two (?) alt-right channels but I gotta believe the ratings for his old time slot will return to normal soon — and likely have more sponsors willing to be associated with the time slot after several pulled out from Tucker. So, a speed bump at best for Fox but they’ll keep moving on.
    I fully expect a virtual clone of Carlson to be in place shortly. It'll be the same red meat in a different wrapping.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Who are they going to find to be wrong about the 2024 election?

Joking aside, Nate and his team hit a home run predicting the 2008 election and appeared to be more accurate than most over subsequent cycles. I suspect he will land somewhere with a fairly high profile if he wants to stay in that line of work.
    I expect he’ll have a segment of the audience follow him. A lot of people learned a lot about a previously opaque and inaccessible area of politics from him.

Heads are rolling at lots of major media outlets - Fox, CNN, ABC/Disney. As a frequent poster to DBR I am being careful to stay away from all windows in fear of my own defenestration...

Don't know how credible it is but Radaronline.com reports that he was fired with cause and thus no severance. Both he and Don Lemon hired the same high profile lawyer to represent them. That makes me think near are getting the full contractual amount if anything. Both Fox and CNN could have just pulled them off the air and let their contracts run out if they were OK paying them. CNN is in full cost cutting mode and Murdoch is well Murdoch.

Even before the firing, there was a low rumble that Tucker could make a run for POTUS. I'm thinking that's going to get louder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Don't know how credible it is but Radaronline.com reports that he was fired with cause and thus no severance. Both he and Don Lemon hired the same high profile lawyer to represent them. That makes me think near are getting the full contractual amount if anything. Both Fox and CNN could have just pulled them off the air and let their contracts run out if they were OK paying them. CNN is in full cost cutting mode and Murdoch is well Murdoch.

Even before the firing, there was a low rumble that Tucker could make a run for POTUS. I'm thinking that's going to get louder.
    Carlson running for president would test whether a Republican candidate could succeed without the blessing of Murdoch and Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Carlson running for president would test whether a Republican candidate could succeed without the blessing of Murdoch and Fox.
    I think we’re about to see that anyway, and he’s leading the polls.