Page 90 of 118 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 2359
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, here we go once more unto the breach, dear Celtics fans, once more. I’m probably misusing that phrase, but the C’s need all the help they can get, no matter how trivial.

Tonight beginning at 8:30 EST Boston will either advance to the NBA Finals to face the Denver juggernaut or they’ll break up the team and fire their coach. 😉

It’s can’t-miss television, folks!
    As a huge basketball fan with no rooting interest this is pure enjoyment for me. Pulling for the Celtics but I don't really care who wins.

Well, here we go once more unto the breach, dear Celtics fans, once more. I’m probably misusing that phrase, but the C’s need all the help they can get, no matter how trivial.

Tonight beginning at 8:30 EST Boston will either advance to the NBA Finals to face the Denver juggernaut or they’ll break up the team and fire their coach. 😉

It’s can’t-miss television, folks!
    Finished off a delectable key lime pie last night. Wondered if I should save a piece for tonight to send good mojo your way?

Go Boston!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Finished off a delectable key lime pie last night. Wondered if I should save a piece for tonight to send good mojo your way?

Go Boston!
    The Celtics are going to need all of those good vibes and more, thanks. And I’m happy you enjoyed the pie! 😊

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Celtics started out as 9.5 point favorites in Game 7. It's now down to 7.5.
    The NBA has announced the officials for tonight. It is Scott Foster and 2 other dudes.

Time to bet the farm on the Celtics.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The Celtics are going to need all of those good vibes and more, thanks. And I’m happy you enjoyed the pie! 😊
    Hopefully the Celtics have reserved all of the Luck of the Irish and haven’t left any in Philly for Notre Dame!

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    Hopefully the Celtics have reserved all of the Luck of the Irish and haven’t left any in Philly for Notre Dame!
    Yes, Boston needs all of the luck. 🍀 None left over for the Fighting Irish. Sorry, ND.

Go Duke Men’s Lacrosse!
    Go Celtics!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Maybe, but they were gifted foul after foul in the last 3 minutes, while Boston was denied foul after foul. Miami's perpetual march to the FT line is what allowed them to shrink, and then take, the lead.
    The NBA apparently does a last three minutes review of either all games or playoff games, not sure. In the review of game 6 they reviewed 32 items, either calls or non-calls, and found the Celtics were victims of two bad calls (lane violation on a Jaylen Brown free-throw miss and non-call on a Tatum drive to the basket) and that the Jimmy Butler call at the end was done properly. So DIB, you are basically correct, and the Celtics still won!
    Go Duke! 9F

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    My prediction from two or three days ago still stands. Celtics win tonight, making their fans ecstatic that they accomplished a near-miracle; thereafter, they disappoint their fans by losing to Denver in the Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by kidA View Post
    The NBA apparently does a last three minutes review of either all games or playoff games, not sure. In the review of game 6 they reviewed 32 items, either calls or non-calls, and found the Celtics were victims of two bad calls (lane violation on a Jaylen Brown free-throw miss and non-call on a Tatum drive to the basket) and that the Jimmy Butler call at the end was done properly. So DIB, you are basically correct, and the Celtics still won!
    Go Duke! 9F
    The review only found 1 mistake on foul calls in last 3 minutes so it actually didn’t agree with DIB’s perception of bad call after bad call against Celtics and missed call after missed call on the Heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    The review only found 1 mistake on foul calls in last 3 minutes so it actually didn’t agree with DIB’s perception of bad call after bad call against Celtics and missed call after missed call on the Heat.
    I’d say the fact that the NBA officially acknowledged any missed foul calls suggests there were probably more, and a missed lane violation is also a call against the Celtics, thus *basically* proving DIB’s point, which is what I said. Even without the review, by the eyeball test, it sure looked like the refs’ calls were decidedly pro Heat. Whatever. I’m just glad there’s a game seven.
    Go Duke! 9F

ETA: what I mean above is, if there are judgment calls that probably should be a call for the Celtics, or shouldn’t have been a call for the Heat, the review is not going to call those mistakes. Thus only two “official” mistakes
    Last edited by kidA; 05-29-2023 at 12:33 PM.

Hard to believe all the carping on here about the refereeing from Celtics fans. Throughout most of game 6, the Heat couldn't get any calls at all. Going to the basket they were getting held, grabbed and bumped almost every time and no calls. Overall, Miami got a terrible whistle in that game. Let's hope in game 7 the referees call a balanced and consistent game, which they have not done much of in this series.

Go Duke! 9F
    I’d say the fact that the NBA officially acknowledged any missed foul calls suggests there were probably more, and a missed lane violation is also a call against the Celtics, thus *basically* proving DIB’s point, which is what I said. Even without the review, by the eyeball test, it sure looked like the refs’ calls were decidedly pro Heat. Whatever. I’m just glad there’s a game seven.
    Go Duke! 9F

ETA: what I mean above is, if there are judgment calls that probably should be a call for the Celtics, or shouldn’t have been a call for the Heat, the review is not going to call those mistakes. Thus only two “official” mistakes
    wow, excellent research there! I had no idea there was an official repository of such info. As regards your second comment, I agree that official admission of bad calls is rare, and that other borderline calls aren't going to get any ink in that instance. As regards KidA's counter-assertion, 1) yes, i noticed a lot of Heat drives that drew contact but did not get a foul call and 2) in that final 3 minutes Heat and Celtics drives had very similar levels of contact on drives and the calls were very different. Not that calls were right or wrong for one team and not the other, just that it did not seem consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    wow, excellent research there! I had no idea there was an official repository of such info. As regards your second comment, I agree that official admission of bad calls is rare, and that other borderline calls aren't going to get any ink in that instance. As regards KidA's counter-assertion, 1) yes, i noticed a lot of Heat drives that drew contact but did not get a foul call and 2) in that final 3 minutes Heat and Celtics drives had very similar levels of contact on drives and the calls were very different. Not that calls were right or wrong for one team and not the other, just that it did not seem consistent.
    Official admission of bad calls may be rare on the whole, but not in NBA 2 minute report. There's an incorrect call basically every game:
    https://official.nba.com/2022-23-nba-officiating-last-two-minute-reports/

Although with something like 20 calls in the last two minutes, getting 1 or 2 wrong perhaps isn't that bad from a percentage perspective but shows you that of course it happens throughout the game and officiating things perfectly real time is really really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I wasn’t aware of his efficiency stats on tying/winning shots. Impressive. But even before seeing that I liked Jayson taking the last shot if he is open. I just don’t trust him to dribble and create the shot when the opposing defense is keyed on him. He has a high dribble that is vulnerable to swipes and deflections and just plain lost handles.

He also often waits too long to initiate and has to take a forced contested shot.
    Agreed, and it should be something that is easy to correct. Part of the issue may be that Tatum is currently one of the best, if not the best, at making difficult, contested shots, and he feels like he always has that to fall back on.

This is such a hard game to predict.

Boston is 5-5 in these playoffs at home. Therefore losing tonight would not be that big of a surprise.

Surely Miami is due for victory again in the series. They can’t lose four in a row, can they?

Boston only shot about 20% from three in the last game, so I would think they would be due for a much better shooting performance from long distance in this game.

Miami shot lights out from three in the last game and still lost. Odds are they will not repeat that type of shooting from long distance tonight, which does not bode well for them.

One could make the argument that Butler is due for a big game, and I wouldn’t argue that. But one could also argue that Tatum is due for a big game, and I can’t argue that either.

Hoping for a Celtics victory, but wouldn’t be at all surprised if the Heat beat them tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Celtics started out as 9.5 point favorites in Game 7. It's now down to 7.5.
    This seems about right. Boston is the better team, and Miami has regressed some to the mean. Boston should win and I hope they do because it'll make for a better Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    This is such a hard game to predict.

Boston is 5-5 in these playoffs at home. Therefore losing tonight would not be that big of a surprise.

Surely Miami is due for victory again in the series. They can’t lose four in a row, can they?

Boston only shot about 20% from three in the last game, so I would think they would be due for a much better shooting performance from long distance in this game.

Miami shot lights out from three in the last game and still lost. Odds are they will not repeat that type of shooting from long distance tonight, which does not bode well for them.

One could make the argument that Butler is due for a big game, and I wouldn’t argue that. But one could also argue that Tatum is due for a big game, and I can’t argue that either.

Hoping for a Celtics victory, but wouldn’t be at all surprised if the Heat beat them tonight.
    Is this a sort-of perhaps reverse jinx?

This may be uncharted territory for you!

Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer shares his Derrick White scouting report from 2017.

derrickwhite2017.jpg

Click the image or the above link to see it full size. Commenters have noticed and praised the prescience of descriptions like "Crafty at the rim by necessity since he doesn't get much lift; he handles contact well and can finish with both hands on layups" and "Competitive rebounder and defender who has good awareness and hustles to make winning plays".

Lots of 3s left short by both teams. Could be legs, could be nerves, could be both. Cs need some of those to drop.

Miami seems really tight. Celtics could build a big lead if any 3s could fall.