Page 1 of 118 1231151101 ... LastLast

2023 NBA Playoffs Thread

The real postseason starts today, including the first playoff basketball in Sacramento since before J.J. Redick played a single minute in the NBA (and in the marquee ABC prime time slot at that). Discuss here!
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

The Hawks should be given two losses for their performance today. Woof.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    The real postseason starts today, including the first playoff basketball in Sacramento since before J.J. Redick played a single minute in the NBA (and in the marquee ABC prime time slot at that). Discuss here!
    Sixers looked every bit as dominant as I feared (being a Boston fan for over 50 years).

The Celtics are the most talented team I’ve ever seen that commit so many careless, unforced turnovers. Backcourt violations, lazy passes in the half court, etc. And when I say unforced, I mean utterly stupid turnovers. It’s what cost them a title last year, and my bet is it may cost them again this year because Tatum and Brown seem to be worst offenders in this area. They are both great, but the careless turnovers are a major problem. In spite of this they should advance past the Hawks.

Hawks won’t win a game. Mismatch.

Still I see 3 teams that could come out of the east and 6 out of the west. That’s a lot. Should be fun playoffs if we can stick to basketball and forget about the off court dramas that are a plague on this league.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Hawks won’t win a game. Mismatch.

Still I see 3 teams that could come out of the east and 6 out of the west. That’s a lot. Should be fun playoffs if we can stick to basketball and forget about the off court dramas that are a plague on this league.
    Definitely 3 out of the East. Not sure about 6 out of the west though. Which six teams are you thinking about?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Definitely 3 out of the East. Not sure about 6 out of the west though. Which six teams are you thinking about?
    Everyone except the Kings and Minnesota. Kings are good but young teams making the playoffs for the first time usually go out pretty early.

I'm not sure how many here are watching the Knicks vs. the Cavs, but Hubie Brown -- who was born in 1933! -- is delivering spirited, expert commentary.

I note that all four NBA teams that he coached are in the playoffs this year: Bucks, Hawks, Knicks, Grizzlies.

(Unfortunately the ABA-era Kentucky Colonels are out of contention.)

And Hubie coached at Duke in the 1970's.

This NY-Cleveland game is hard to watch. Really sloppy and some bad missed shots.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenBuilding View Post
    I'm not sure how many here are watching the Knicks vs. the Cavs, but Hubie Brown -- who was born in 1933! -- is delivering spirited, expert commentary.

I note that all four NBA teams that he coached are in the playoffs this year: Bucks, Hawks, Knicks, Grizzlies.

(Unfortunately the ABA-era Kentucky Colonels are out of contention.)
    My all time favorite NBA color guy. Just the best.

My all time favorite NBA color guy. Just the best.
    Agreed. I love and respect Hubie Brown. Great commentator!

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    This NY-Cleveland game is hard to watch. Really sloppy and some bad missed shots.
    Barrett with a really poor game

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Tibbs pulled him in crunch time. He was just signed to an extension in September but I wouldn’t be surprised to see his role gradually diminish. He has just never been able to develop a reliable jump shot. And he doesn’t provide much to compensate for it.

Agreed. Many of his shots weren't close, and on D except for a couple of nice plays early, he was losing his guy or just seemed lost.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Tibbs pulled him in crunch time. He was just signed to an extension in September but I wouldn’t be surprised to see his role gradually diminish. He has just never been able to develop a reliable jump shot. And he doesn’t provide much to compensate for it.
    When he starts to press - his game goes off the rails. It is a pattern for him. Playoff basketball is a different game.

When he starts to press - his game goes off the rails. It is a pattern for him. Playoff basketball is a different game.
    The ball pressure is so much more intense in the playoffs. He really doesn’t have the type of offensive game to be efficient in this.

I was looking for the RJ Barrett lovefest thread. I don’t think this is it.

It looked like Monk took about 14 extra steps on that drive to the basket that gave the Kings a 91-90 lead.

Everyone except the Kings and Minnesota. Kings are good but young teams making the playoffs for the first time usually go out pretty early.
    Kings just took down the Warriors in a spectacularly fun game. Would be interesting if the dubs' road problems sink them in the first round.

My first time seeing DeAaron Fox - that man can COOK

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I was looking for the RJ Barrett lovefest thread. I don’t think this is it.
    I didn’t watch the game, but did the Knicks win with RJ Barrett playing 31 min, with 4 rebounds and 6 assists?