Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Duke MBB 2023-24 schedule intel

I don't recall the last time I was this excited for next season.
    Here's what we know:
    Arizona at Duke 11/10/23
    MSU vs. Duke from Chicago on 11/14/23
    And we know that we have the ACC/SEC challenge. I sort of think Duke will start that one on the road and it's either going to be Tennessee or Kentucky.
    Does anyone know if we're in an early season tournament?
    Regardless, it's going to be some November.
    Just 7 more months...

I suppose this is the Duke schedule thread.

Jon Rothstein reported yesterday that Queens (NC) will be visiting Cameron on December 29th.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...52009872982023

It has not been announced which MTE (Multi-Team Event) Duke will be in this year. Several big name events already have an ACC team so Duke will not be in them. There are only 3 ACC teams (Duke, FSU, and NCSt) not yet tied to a MTE.

Among the big name teams that still need an event there are: Duke, Mich St, Ariz, AzSt, Kentucky, and Florida Atlantic. Duke probably won't be in a tourney with Ariz or Mich. St. Probably not Kentucky either if we are to play them in the ACC-SEC challenge. A matchup with Bobby's ASU club would be attractive to tournaments. I could see Florida Atlantic versus Duke being another really intriguing matchup.

The Chaleston Classic seems like a decent possibility. IT is Thu/Fri/Sun Nov 16, 17, 19. Houston, LSU, St. Johns, and Dayton are already in the field but they need to add four more teams.

The Continental Tires Main Event, in Vegas on Nov 17 and 19, is a possibility. It has San Diego State as well as Washington and Minnesota. A fourth team is needed.

-Jason "lots of good info on MTEs and who is playing can be found here: https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2...on-tournaments " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by geeveebee View Post
    I don't recall the last time I was this excited for next season.
    Here's what we know:
    Arizona at Duke 11/10/23
    MSU vs. Duke from Chicago on 11/14/23
    And we know that we have the ACC/SEC challenge. I sort of think Duke will start that one on the road and it's either going to be Tennessee or Kentucky.
    Does anyone know if we're in an early season tournament?
    Regardless, it's going to be some November.
    Just 7 more months...
    I guess I never registered the date of the Arizona game before now, but I wish it was in December.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It has not been announced which MTE (Multi-Team Event) Duke will be in this year. Several big name events already have an ACC team so Duke will not be in them. There are only 3 ACC teams (Duke, FSU, and NCSt) not yet tied to a MTE.

Among the big name teams that still need an event there are: Duke, Mich St, Ariz, AzSt, Kentucky, and Florida Atlantic. Duke probably won't be in a tourney with Ariz or Mich. St. Probably not Kentucky either if we are to play them in the ACC-SEC challenge. A matchup with Bobby's ASU club would be attractive to tournaments. I could see Florida Atlantic versus Duke being another really intriguing matchup.

The Chaleston Classic seems like a decent possibility. IT is Thu/Fri/Sun Nov 16, 17, 19. Houston, LSU, St. Johns, and Dayton are already in the field but they need to add four more teams.

The Continental Tires Main Event, in Vegas on Nov 17 and 19, is a possibility. It has San Diego State as well as Washington and Minnesota. A fourth team is needed.

-Jason "lots of good info on MTEs and who is playing can be found here: https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2...on-tournaments " Evans
    I bet Coach K would get a box to watch Continental Tire Main Event if Duke were in it.

With regards to the MTE, I would not put it past Duke to DIY 2 small schools in Cameron as a MTE and try for 2 neutral site games instead--perhaps like Gonzaga in Vegas and the usual in NYC in recent years. The pickings are slim, particularly in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    With regards to the MTE, I would not put it past Duke to DIY 2 small schools in Cameron as a MTE and try for 2 neutral site games instead--perhaps like Gonzaga in Vegas and the usual in NYC in recent years. The pickings are slim, particularly in NYC.
    vs UConn in the Garden 🫣

Quote Originally Posted by kidA View Post
    vs UConn in the Garden 🫣
    It has happened in the past 10 years. (No need to give us an exact date.)

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    That would make sense. The schedule is already looking pretty tough. I think Duke can and should get at least a couple of Q1 wins in the nonconference. MSU and Arizona are both going to be good teams next season. Duke should play a team like Alabama or Kentucky in the ACC/SEC Challenge. Getting a couple marquee matchups on neutral courts would be a good idea. I think a mid-tier B1G team (so like, all of them except Purdue and MSU?) or maybe Houston or a Big East team would be a good matchup that draws a lot of fans.

As far as locations, the Final Four is in Arizona in 2024. The East Regional is in Boston. Playing a game in either of those cities would probably draw a good crowd.

Looking forward to that DaRon Holmes vs. Dayton storyline!
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Looking forward to that DaRon Holmes vs. Dayton storyline!
    Unless Dayton schedules a game against someone like the College Park Skyhawks or the Austin Spurs, I suspect DaRon won't be playing his old team next year.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Unless Dayton schedules a game against someone like the College Park Skyhawks or the Austin Spurs, I suspect DaRon won't be playing his old team next year.
    Yep, couple this with the story I linked in the Transfer portal thread that Shedrick is apparently telling teammates at UVA he's transferring to Duke.

The Charleston Classic with a potential final against Houston would be close enough to campus to allow the students to travel to it...

2023-24 MBB Schedule

Jon Rothstein tweeted

"Likely Preseason No. 1 Duke will play Arizona (Durham) and Michigan State (Champions Classic) in the first nine days of the 2023-24 season."

Thus starts the home-and-home with U of A. CC will also include KU and UK and will be at the United Center on 11/14.

Surely the ACC/SEC Challenge era will be kicked off with Duke/UK, no? But a Duke/UT rematch would have a lotta juice, too.

Looks like I spawned a duplicate schedule thread. I refer you to the original thread here:

Duke 2023-24 schedule intel

I recommend that all conversation occurs there.

Mods, feel free to whack this thread at your convenience.

Sounds like we're in for a challenging schedule in the preseason, and we haven't even heard about a holiday tournament yet. It's a good thing because the national trashing of the ACC is just going to get worse next year when UVA and UNC suck it up.

I think I can say with some confidence that Duke will have a home game with UNC on 3/2/24.

I'll guess that Duke will have a road game at UNC on 2/3/24.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I think I can say with some confidence that Duke will have a home game with UNC on 3/2/24.

Seems like they've dabbled with different things for the first game against North Carolina. A few seasons ago, we were playing just 2 or 3 weeks apart, which is stupid. In my mind, they should move the super bowl up a few weeks, so it stops affecting the more important college basketball schedule.

Well

I'm worried those two games will hurt Duke's strength of schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'm worried those two games will hurt Duke's strength of schedule.
    I understand where you are coming from, but I am much more worried that those two games may not hurt Duke's strength of schedule.