Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Love's shot selection was, indeed, awful and he was wildly inefficient. But he wasnt the only issue they had. Nance's ineffectiveness from the perimeter hurt them (he dropped over 13% from his 2021-2022 to his 2022-2023 season and at one point late in the year I believe he was sub-30% from 3), which would allow teams to sag and double Bacot in the post. Leaky, outside of a couple games, being inept on the offensive end was an issue. And they had absolutely zero depth, which Hubert has no one to blame but himself for.
    I could see an addition-by-subtraction thing going on with Love. The Athletic article that was the season postmortem for UNC painted a disjointed on-court relationship between Davis and Love. Given that they shared the backcourt together for 3 seasons, that seems really odd. It's hard to read that and then not think about the fit with RJ Davis as nominal PG and Hubert Davis as the coach. Perhaps RJ Davis will get the role that he prefers next year. On the other hand, he hasn't been much of a lead guard for the last 3 years. If Hubert Davis trusts him, that trust might be misplaced. The offense might not be fixed by just removing Love's decision-making from the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I actually think the departure of Caleb Love really helps UNC. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat those predictions and end up a top 15 team.

I'm not a Hubert Davis believer at all, but a team built around RJ Davis and Armando Bacot should be pretty formidable. Love's awful shot selection really hurt them last season.
    It's not so much "addition by subtraction," but -- for this past season -- "distraction by ambition." Caleb Love, who has real talents, couldn't be bothered to play within a team concept. And, of course, I fear it will turn into addition by subtraction.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I could see an addition-by-subtraction thing going on with Love. The Athletic article that was the season postmortem for UNC painted a disjointed on-court relationship between Davis and Love. Given that they shared the backcourt together for 3 seasons, that seems really odd. It's hard to read that and then not think about the fit with RJ Davis as nominal PG and Hubert Davis as the coach. Perhaps RJ Davis will get the role that he prefers next year. On the other hand, he hasn't been much of a lead guard for the last 3 years. If Hubert Davis trusts him, that trust might be misplaced. The offense might not be fixed by just removing Love's decision-making from the equation.
    There was reportedly a disjointed OFF-court relationship between the two as well, but Love did respond to say that what the Crazies' cheat sheet reported wasn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It's not so much "addition by subtraction," but -- for this past season -- "distraction by ambition." Caleb Love, who has real talents, couldn't be bothered to play within a team concept. And, of course, I fear it will turn into addition by subtraction.
    They will clearly be in the mix for competing for a championship with that core. It all comes down to who is playing well in those three weeks in March/April. Teams need depth and a bit of luck. UNC will have a tone of experienced players. Can Hubert coach them to work as a unit- that is the question.

Can Hubert coach the Tar Heels? They really like him personally, so he'll probably get two more years to make UNC a basketball power.

You know, Roy Williams was a great coach, and, aw shucks, he made it look easy. K, with his intensity, never made it look easy. BTW, it wasn't easy for either one. IMHO -- the H went AWOL as soon as the miltary draft ended.

It seems like every basketball thread eventually gets around to the biggest cheating team (so called university). Sometimes I have to check back to see what thread I'm actually on.

GoDuke!

Media seem to want to anoint the Big East as the new powerhouse conference. I could buy UNC as preseason #1 this year but Creighton & Marquette need to show me.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I could see an addition-by-subtraction thing going on with Love. The Athletic article that was the season postmortem for UNC painted a disjointed on-court relationship between Davis and Love. Given that they shared the backcourt together for 3 seasons, that seems really odd.
    Well, there was that rumor of a messy love triangle situation that happened between the two of them (which is what I believe Bluedog was referring to in his post). It would explain a lot, although both of them have publicly denied those rumors.

NCAA.com: Way-too-early 2023-24 men's basketball Power 36 rankings

andykatz36.jpg

The ACC should be led by new favorite Miami, with the incoming recruits at Duke and the returnees at North Carolina, ensuring those three are at the top. Virginia can never be counted out and there is bound to be another that makes a push for the title like Pittsburgh did this past season.
    1. Connecticut
    2. Miami
    3. Marquette
    4. Creighton
    5. UCLA
    6. Michigan State
    7. Florida Atlantic
    8. Purdue
    9. Kentucky
    10. Duke

27. North Carolina

I'm not sure if I get the Miami hype. Larranaga is obviously a fantastic tournament coach, and his teams outperform their expectations. Miller was what made them scary. Wong and Pack are good, but I don't think they make them a top 5 team. I'd say top 12.

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    Goodie.

Wish someone here would store this for us and wheel it out when the real brackets arrive next March. I wonder if even 10% of these seeds will be correct? I'm betting... not. Talk about useless, idle speculation. Transfer portal isn't even shut now... And yet, I clicked on that thing... and ESPN smiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    Wish someone here would store this for us and wheel it out when the real brackets arrive next March. I wonder if even 10% of these seeds will be correct? I'm betting... not. Talk about useless, idle speculation. Transfer portal isn't even shut now... And yet, I clicked on that thing... and ESPN smiles.
    Of course they won't be accurate. Lunardi doesn't deal in "accurate" and has no accountability as such. He can always say "well, it reflects a certain moment in time and isn't meant to be predictive," which is basically saying "it's all horse hockey and you are chumps for paying attention."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Of course they won't be accurate. Lunardi doesn't deal in "accurate" and has no accountability as such. He can always say "well, it reflects a certain moment in time and isn't meant to be predictive," which is basically saying "it's all horse hockey and you are chumps for paying attention."

He's got the best job in the world. He gets paid to make wild predictions before rosters are even fully set, and no one expects him to be accurate. Kind of like a weatherman, but with even less expectations to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    He's got the best job in the world. He gets paid to make wild predictions before rosters are even fully set, and no one expects him to be accurate. Kind of like a weatherman, but with even less expectations to be right.
    Exactly. Like a weatherman whose entire job is to tell you the forecast for one Sunday in March. He starts telling you 11 months beforehand and refines his forecast several dozen times.

T-Rank has a RosterCast tool for 2024. Torvik had Kyle Filipowski as departing. Removing Mgbako and adding Filipowski moves Duke from #5 to #3 in the way-too-early rankings.

Gary Parrish of CBS Sports moved Duke from #7 to #4 based on today's news.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-top-25-and-1/

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Whenever this conversation comes up, I'm reminded of the eerily prescient bit of Kurt Vonnegut's Player Piano that satirizes college athletics, 50+ years ahead of its time. Some of the juiciest morsels:
    Player Piano wasn’t necessarily a great book, but it was astoundingly foresightful on a ton of stuff, from the impact of automation to societal fragmentation to, weirdly, amateurism in college sports.

A new one and an update.

TheScore: Early top-25 rankings for the 2023-24 college basketball season

1. Connecticut
    2. Michigan State
    3. Marquette
    4. Kentucky
    5. Houston
    6. Duke

Duke is bringing three 5-stars into the fold for the second straight season, with Jon Scheyer picking up right where Coach K left off on the recruiting trail. The incoming class, led by forward Mackenzie Mgbako, will be accompanied by veteran guard Jeremy Roach and a pair of talented freshmen from this past season - Tyrese Proctor and Mark Mitchell. There isn't much else returning for Duke, which does put some pressure on a very young group.
    7. Arizona
    8. Purdue
    9. Tennessee
    10. Creighton

23. Miami

College Hoops Today: ROTHSTEIN 45: 2023-24 PRESEASON EDITION #2 (cross-posted on Fanduel)

1. Duke (was #11)

Projected Starting 5:
    G Tyrese Proctor
    G Jeremy Roach
    G Jared McCain
    F Mark Mitchell
    C Kyle Filipowski
    Projected Bench: Jaylen Blakes, TJ Power, Caleb Foster, Jaden Schutt, Ryan Young, Sean Stewart
    Key Newcomers: Sean Stewart, TJ Power, Caleb Foster, Jared McCain
    Key Losses: Dariq Whitehead, Dereck Lively, Jacob Grandison
    Entered NBA Draft While Retaining College Eligibility: Jeremy Roach
    2. Connecticut (was #1)
    3. Purdue (was #2)
    4. Miami (was #3)
    5. Marquette (was #4)
    6. Creighton (was #5)
    7. UCLA (was #6)
    8. Michigan State (was #7)
    9. Alabama (was #8)
    10. Florida Atlantic (was #9)

29. Virginia
    34. UNC

Weird that retaining Kyle Filipowski (and losing Mackenzie Mgbako) moves Duke up 10 places, while Creighton is largely unaffected by the loss of Ryan Nembhard.