Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Hmm. What allegedly happened?
    In the bottom of the first inning Aaron Hicks, who was playing CF, made what was originally called a sliding catch to end the inning with a couple of runners on base. But it was pretty obvious he trapped the ball. Nevertheless, the Guardians (allegedly) didn't challenge the call and the teams ran off the field. Then the replay was shown on the scoreboard and the umpires decided at that point to review the call even though it still seemed that the Guardians weren't challenging the call. There is some fuzziness around the chronology and whether the Guardians actually sought to challenge the call. Boone got thrown out of the game and apparently came back on the field three times to continue his argument. You can read more about it here.

A crazy and scary footnote to all of this is that the second base umpire who was very involved in the first inning argument got hit in the head with a relay throw and is still hospitalized.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-alcohol-sales

Phillies' Matt Strahm disagrees with MLB teams extending alcohol sales

Several baseball teams have amended their alcohol sale policies in response to shorter game times this season, and at least one major leaguer isn't wild about the change.

Phillies pitcher Matt Strahm said during a recent podcast that he disagreed with extending alcohol sales beyond the traditional seventh-inning cutoff, citing "common sense" and the "safety of fans."

"The reason we stopped [selling alcohol in] the seventh before was to give our fans time to sober up and drive home safe, correct?" Strahm said on the "Baseball Isn't Boring" podcast. "So now with a faster-pace game -- and me just being a man of common sense -- if the game is going to finish quicker, would we not move the beer sales back to the sixth inning to give our fans time to sober up and drive home?

"Instead, we're going to the eighth, and now you're putting our fans and our family at risk driving home with people who have just drank beers 22 minutes ago."

"I'm not surprised," Strahm said. "When you mess with billionaires' dollars, [they] find a way to make their dollars back. My thing is, when you're looking at the safety of your fans, that's probably not the smartest decision to extend it into the eighth."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-alcohol-sales

Phillies' Matt Strahm disagrees with MLB teams extending alcohol sales

Several baseball teams have amended their alcohol sale policies in response to shorter game times this season, and at least one major leaguer isn't wild about the change.

Phillies pitcher Matt Strahm said during a recent podcast that he disagreed with extending alcohol sales beyond the traditional seventh-inning cutoff, citing "common sense" and the "safety of fans."

"The reason we stopped [selling alcohol in] the seventh before was to give our fans time to sober up and drive home safe, correct?" Strahm said on the "Baseball Isn't Boring" podcast. "So now with a faster-pace game -- and me just being a man of common sense -- if the game is going to finish quicker, would we not move the beer sales back to the sixth inning to give our fans time to sober up and drive home?

"Instead, we're going to the eighth, and now you're putting our fans and our family at risk driving home with people who have just drank beers 22 minutes ago."

"I'm not surprised," Strahm said. "When you mess with billionaires' dollars, [they] find a way to make their dollars back. My thing is, when you're looking at the safety of your fans, that's probably not the smartest decision to extend it into the eighth."
    Good for him. He's right.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    In the bottom of the first inning Aaron Hicks, who was playing CF, made what was originally called a sliding catch to end the inning with a couple of runners on base. But it was pretty obvious he trapped the ball. Nevertheless, the Guardians (allegedly) didn't challenge the call and the teams ran off the field. Then the replay was shown on the scoreboard and the umpires decided at that point to review the call even though it still seemed that the Guardians weren't challenging the call. There is some fuzziness around the chronology and whether the Guardians actually sought to challenge the call. Boone got thrown out of the game and apparently came back on the field three times to continue his argument. You can read more about it here.
    I was listening to the game on the radio. If you've listened to a Yankee radio broadcast in the last 20 years, it will not surprise you to hear that John Sterling struggled to bring clarity to the situation.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Good for him. He's right.
    Is he though? The idea that drunk fans got sober between the 7th and 9th inning is a joke. At every game I've been to I see people buy 2 beers at last call so they can keep drinking through the end of the game. Drinking and driving is about personal responsibility and it's not the team's job to make people do the right thing. We don't make bars hold your card for 45 minutes after you pay to make sure you can drive home safely so why are sports teams held to a different standard?

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Is he though? The idea that drunk fans got sober between the 7th and 9th inning is a joke. At every game I've been to I see people buy 2 beers at last call so they can keep drinking through the end of the game. Drinking and driving is about personal responsibility and it's not the team's job to make people do the right thing. We don't make bars hold your card for 45 minutes after you pay to make sure you can drive home safely so why are sports teams held to a different standard?
    With the rate that many people drink before, during and after baseball games, quite a few won’t be safe to drive until the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    With the rate that many people drink before, during and after baseball games, quite a few won’t be safe to drive until the next day.
    yeah, seven innings of beer is safer than nine innings, and four innings would be safer yet, but if people want to drink too much (and they do) MLB policy won't change much of anything.

The parking lots before football games at many colleges (not so much at Duke) and pro games is pretty illuminating...numerous people staggeringly drunk before kickoff...at Pats and Jets games it seems like they have a particular culture...

I don’t think it accomplishes much but I also don’t think it hurts so why not try it. If it alienates those who can’t survive without a beer and those who think the world is over regulated I say to heck with them. This is not some huge sacrifice so if it saves one life it is worth it.

I was never a big drinker and did various reasons I have now basically cut out alcohol. I understand that baseball and beer go hand in hand and I am all for people having one or two at a game. If you need more than that or can’t survive without a beer after the 7th inning (and are too dumb to stock up before they cut you off) then you’ve got bigger problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I don’t think it accomplishes much but I also don’t think it hurts so why not try it. If it alienates those who can’t survive without a beer and those who think the world is over regulated I say to heck with them. This is not some huge sacrifice so if it saves one life it is worth it.

I was never a big drinker and did various reasons I have now basically cut out alcohol. I understand that baseball and beer go hand in hand and I am all for people having one or two at a game. If you need more than that or can’t survive without a beer after the 7th inning (and are too dumb to stock up before they cut you off) then you’ve got bigger problems.
    I'm typically a one or none gal at a game (who can afford more than that &#128514 so I don't feel the need to defend alcohol. It's really more the tone of the comment than the substance that I take issue with. The greedy billionaire stuff doesn't sit right with me coming from someone who will make more in a year than I will in a decade. Are major league owners as a group looking to maximize profits? Of course they are. Are major league players as a group looking to maximize their salaries? Damn right. So why is one ok and the other is greedy? Get off the soapbox and spare me the self righteous lecture.

ATLANTA -- Ian Anderson’s recent mound struggles suddenly made a lot more sense this week when the Braves right-hander learned he needed Tommy John surgery, and the team announced on Thursday that he underwent the season-ending surgery on his right elbow.

Pitchers who undergo Tommy John surgery usually require 12-18 months of recovery, putting the 24-year-old Anderson on track to return at some point during the 2024 season. Anderson's procedure was performed by Dr. Keith Meister in Arlington, Texas.

He was the 3rd overall pick in the 2016 MLB Draft.

https://www.mlb.com/news/ian-anderso...y-john-surgery

Will the Tampa Bay Rays make it 14 in a row today to start the season ??

Amazing start

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    ATLANTA -- Ian Anderson’s recent mound struggles suddenly made a lot more sense this week when the Braves right-hander learned he needed Tommy John surgery, and the team announced on Thursday that he underwent the season-ending surgery on his right elbow.
    He must be feeling like a dead duck now, poor old sod.

Oh Canada! The Rays can be beat!

Oh Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    There were some shenanigans in the Yankees game today. The explanations that are coming out after the fact now don’t hold water IMO
    Here’s a great breakdown of what happened.

https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1646904705132687365?s=20

It worked!! Career HR #100.
    You're good at this. Now..how about Ozuna? Though, that might be a bridge too far.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    You're good at this. Now..how about Ozuna? Though, that might be a bridge too far.
    Azuna is now 3-40 on the season for a whopping .075 average. Why Snitaker continues to put him out there is beyond me. Over the weekend a contingent of traveling Braves fans in Kansas City booed him relentlessly every time he came to the plate.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    The only place I want Ozuna to go is the waiver wire. AA and Snit (not sure who is really driving the decision there) seem committed to giving him a chance to break out but in my mind he's been bad long enough to justify letting him go. The contract is a sunk cost, eat it and move on.

The best case scenario is he continues to DH against left-handed starters and is still hitting around .100 when Travis d'Arnaud gets back. At that point there's no longer a need for a right-handed hitting DH as one of the catchers can handle it and Anthopoulos can finally be convinced to release him.

The only place I want Ozuna to go is the waiver wire. AA and Snit (not sure who is really driving the decision there) seem committed to giving him a chance to break out but in my mind he's been bad long enough to justify letting him go. The contract is a sunk cost, eat it and move on.

The best case scenario is he continues to DH against left-handed starters and is still hitting around .100 when Travis d'Arnaud gets back. At that point there's no longer a need for a right-handed hitting DH as one of the catchers can handle it and Anthopoulos can finally be convinced to release him.
    Please don't let Cardinal GM, Mozeliak know Ozuna is available. I'm still angry over the Cardinals trading for him and giving up Sandy Alcantara and Zac Gallen for that bum. Altcantara, Cy Young winner last season and Gallen is the D-Backs best pitcher. While the Cardinals have the worst pitching staff they've had in a long time.

Kershaw

Good to see Kershaw give up no runs in getting his 200th win, a bigger accomplishment that it used to be. I don't know that Kershaw, as the career leader in ERA-plus among modern starting pitchers, gets as much credit as he should.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...s_career.shtml

Among pitchers in my fandom, going back to 1977, I'd put Pedro first, followed by either Kershaw or Maddux. I might rank Gooden as the highest at his peak, but it wasn't a long peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Good to see Kershaw give up no runs in getting his 200th win, a bigger accomplishment that it used to be. I don't know that Kershaw, as the career leader in ERA-plus among modern starting pitchers, gets as much credit as he should.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...s_career.shtml

Among pitchers in my fandom, going back to 1977, I'd put Pedro first, followed by either Kershaw or Maddux. I might rank Gooden as the highest at his peak, but it wasn't a long peak.
    I would have to add Randy Johnson to that list. The guy was utterly dominant in the early 2000's. Admittedly, his reign wasn't as long lived as the guys you mentioned but he won 3 straight Cy Young awards and in that 3 year stretch struck out over 1,000 batters!

If he wasn't a low down dirty rotten cheater I would include Clemens in that discussion.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."