Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Ha what a brutal series for the Mets.
    Sweep! 30-33 and losers of 6 straight with THAT payroll? Buck has gotta go! 8.5 games back?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Sweep! 30-33 and losers of 6 straight with THAT payroll? Buck has gotta go! 8.5 games back?
    Braves come from behind in every game of the series and last night was just humiliating for the Mets. At the end of the 6th the score was 10-4. No scoring in the 7th. In the 8th, 9th and 10th the score was Atlanta 6, New York 0!! Game tying homer in the 9th and game winning homer in the 10th.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Luis Arraez

If you aren't paying attention to the Marlin's Luis Arraez you should be. See below for proof:

Tony Gwynn's first 444 career games: .324/.374/.411/.784, 234 R, 546 H, 12 HR, 166 RBI, 136 BB

Luis Arraez's first 444 career games: .324/.383/.419/.802, 237 R, 524 H, 15 HR, 159 RBI, 156 BB

Arraez is currently hitting .403 this season. He has 87 hits and only 11 strikeouts in 231 plate appearances.

The guy can rake!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    If you aren't paying attention to the Marlin's Luis Arraez you should be. See below for proof:

Tony Gwynn's first 444 career games: .324/.374/.411/.784, 234 R, 546 H, 12 HR, 166 RBI, 136 BB

Luis Arraez's first 444 career games: .324/.383/.419/.802, 237 R, 524 H, 15 HR, 159 RBI, 156 BB

Arraez is currently hitting .403 this season. He has 87 hits and only 11 strikeouts in 231 plate appearances.

The guy can rake!
    If a guy takes in Miami, does it make a sound?

Stick a fork in the Mets. They’re done.

Buck Showalter is among the most overrated managers in the league.

The Rockies did something yesterday that I would guess is fairly rare: three different rookies hit home runs in the same game. One of them was playing in his first MLB game; another hit the walk-off home run.

You might want to throw in Oliver Marmol and John Mozeliak in the group that need replacing. We see how much having Yadi, Albert, and our pitching coach meant to the Cardinal team that won the NL Central last season. Signing Willson Contreras for 81M is not working out. He's just above .200 and has never been a good defensive catcher. Now, he's blocking Ivan Herrera at AAA who is tearing the cover off the ball. Contreras hasn't done much since he "hotdogged" in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    You might want to throw in Oliver Marmol and John Mozeliak in the group that need replacing. We see how much having Yadi, Albert, and our pitching coach meant to the Cardinal team that won the NL Central last season. Signing Willson Contreras for 81M is not working out. He's just above .200 and has never been a good defensive catcher. Now, he's blocking Ivan Herrera at AAA who is tearing the cover off the ball. Contreras hasn't done much since he "hotdogged" in Chicago.
    The Cardinals appear done. 27-40 and 8.5 GB in the division. They’ll be sellers at the trade deadline it appears. I have heard they may move Goldschmidt or Arenado for some prospects. I hope they don’t do that but it’s possible. I think Oli Marmol’s days as skipper of the Cardinals are coming to an end. It looks like he’s lost the team morale and trust. I think publicly shaming Tyler O’Neill earlier this season made the team in large part not come together and play for him. I think losing Yadi and Albert has deteriorated the team chemistry. They appear disinterested and lacking passion which is never a good thing.

Here is how many games it took for the Cardinals to get to 40 losses:

'00 - 94
    '01 - 80
    '02 - 91
    '03 - 83
    '04 - 115
    '05 - 108
    '06 - 92
    '07 - 73
    '08 - 90
    '09 - 86
    '10 - 85
    '11 - 85
    '12 - 84
    '13 - 102
    '14 - 84
    '15 - 111
    '16 - 83
    '17 - 73
    '18 - 82
    '19 - 80
    '21 - 76
    '22 - 84
    '23 - 67

Couldn't happen to a nicer owner, though I still have positive thoughts about the franchise before he got his mitts on it.

The Cardinals appear done. 27-40 and 8.5 GB in the division. They’ll be sellers at the trade deadline it appears. I have heard they may move Goldschmidt or Arenado for some prospects. I hope they don’t do that but it’s possible. I think Oli Marmol’s days as skipper of the Cardinals are coming to an end. It looks like he’s lost the team morale and trust. I think publicly shaming Tyler O’Neill earlier this season made the team in large part not come together and play for him. I think losing Yadi and Albert has deteriorated the team chemistry. They appear disinterested and lacking passion which is never a good thing.

Here is how many games it took for the Cardinals to get to 40 losses:

'00 - 94
    '01 - 80
    '02 - 91
    '03 - 83
    '04 - 115
    '05 - 108
    '06 - 92
    '07 - 73
    '08 - 90
    '09 - 86
    '10 - 85
    '11 - 85
    '12 - 84
    '13 - 102
    '14 - 84
    '15 - 111
    '16 - 83
    '17 - 73
    '18 - 82
    '19 - 80
    '21 - 76
    '22 - 84
    '23 - 67
    If MO trades either of Goldy or Nolan Arenado, the team could lose 100 games and may anyway. Like you say, Marmol has lost the team and I think MO can't run the team. The team has some very good young players and the future would look good with the right people in charge.

Subway Series 2023 - when a stoppable force meets a movable object

Why do I think the Mets are toast?

They just lost 2 of 3 at home to the third worst team in the National League - the St. Louis Cardinals.

Buck has to get fired by the end of the season, no?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If MO trades either of Goldy or Nolan Arenado, the team could lose 100 games and may anyway. Like you say, Marmol has lost the team and I think MO can't run the team. The team has some very good young players and the future would look good with the right people in charge.
    Arenado did the team an unbelievable solid by NOT taking his opt-out after a massive season. The decision cost him probably $100 million, but he declined the opt-out because he wanted to stay with the Cards and they must have made it clear that they wouldn’t be able to afford to pay him at his new free agent rate. If they then turned around and traded him, that would be a huge stab in the back of a guy who put the team first over his own well being.

Welcome back Joey Votto!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-sizzling-reds

As a long-suffering Reds fan, it's fun to see them reel off 8(+) straight...hopefully they can hang on here tonight to make it 9.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Arenado did the team an unbelievable solid by NOT taking his opt-out after a massive season. The decision cost him probably $100 million, but he declined the opt-out because he wanted to stay with the Cards and they must have made it clear that they wouldn’t be able to afford to pay him at his new free agent rate. If they then turned around and traded him, that would be a huge stab in the back of a guy who put the team first over his own well being.
    You are exactly right. If the team traded Nolan or Goldy, the fans would be livid. For the first time in a very long time, there have been boos tossed at the team for lackadaisical play. Management failed the manager and the team. The President of Operations, John Mozeliak said the organization was all in on spending money in hopes of winning a 12th World Series. Instead, he stood pat with a starting rotation of: Adam Wainwright, Jack Flahery, Miles Milolas, Steven Matz and Jordan Montgomery. As good as Waino has been for the Cardinals he is 5th starter at best on a contender. Flaherty has been injured for the last few seasons and Matz has been a failure in the rotation and bullpen. Miles and Montgomery are pretty good # 3 pitchers on a contender. The signing of Contreras has been a flop as he's just over .200 average and has never been known for his defense as catcher. The heir apparent for Yadi's job was always Ivan Herrera, but the club panicked and seemingly gave up on him. He's having a terrific year in AAA but now he's probably going to be traded for some over the hill reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    Welcome back Joey Votto!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-sizzling-reds

As a long-suffering Reds fan, it's fun to see them reel off 8(+) straight...hopefully they can hang on here tonight to make it 9.
    As I suffer from the same condition, most teams go through winning and losing streaks like this once in a season. The division pre-trade deadline looks bad at this point (i.e. no wild card bid).

Why do I think the Mets are toast?

They just lost 2 of 3 at home to the third worst team in the National League - the St. Louis Cardinals.

Buck has to get fired by the end of the season, no?
    Not unless there is a clearly preferable alternative out there. The Mets aren’t Chelsea (at least not yet).

Mets are five games out of the last wild card with almost 90 games left. Max looked like Max last night, and Lindor might have busted out of his slump (five RBIs, including a three-run homer batting left-handed). I respectfully submit that your fork is premature.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Not unless there is a clearly preferable alternative out there. The Mets aren’t Chelsea (at least not yet).

Mets are five games out of the last wild card with almost 90 games left. Max looked like Max last night, and Lindor might have busted out of his slump (five RBIs, including a three-run homer batting left-handed). I respectfully submit that your fork is premature.
    Joe Maddon.

The Mets are the Mets. You can stick a fork in them opening day and save yourself the time and heartburn.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    As I suffer from the same condition, most teams go through winning and losing streaks like this once in a season. The division pre-trade deadline looks bad at this point (i.e. no wild card bid).
    In the 2022 season, 9 teams has 8-game winning streaks. 8 of the 9 made the playoffs.

A bad division and a long winning streak can go a long way towards a playoff berth. Don't rain on the Reds' parade. 10 straight!