Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 MLB Season

Still dumbfounded that people pitch to Aaron Judge in high leverage situations. Really bit the Os last night.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Adam Wainwright attained career win 197 last night in Cincinnati as the Cardinals beat the Reds 8-5. That is tied for 124th most wins ever in MLB history. Just four active big leaguers have more wins than Waino:

Verlander: 246
    Greinke: 224
    Scherzer: 204
    Kershaw: 203

I’m fairly certain none will reach 300 career wins. Verlander hs the closest at 54 wins away but that would take 3-4 years at 14-18 wins/year and he’s 40. It’s possible but a long shot. Greinke is 39. Scherzer is 38. Kershaw is 35 but 93 wins away and has lots of miles on his arm.
    Verlander, Scherzer, and Kershaw are clear top-shelf HOFers.

Is Wainwright a HOFer? His career winning percentage is outstanding, and he finished top 3 in the Cy Young Award 4 times. On the other hand, his age 33-37 numbers were pretty bad, largely due to injuries, to put him at a 3.40 career ERA. He has an excellent 2.83 career postseason ERA with a good sample size, though he's been unlucky with that W-L record.

Greinke has a CYA win and 2 other top-4 finishes, plus 2 ERA titles. He seems to have lost it and needs to retire before he elevates his career ERA too much, but I would put him in the HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post

Is Wainwright a HOFer? His career winning percentage is outstanding, and he finished top 3 in the Cy Young Award 4 times. On the other hand, his age 33-37 numbers were pretty bad, largely due to injuries, to put him at a 3.40 career ERA. He has an excellent 2.83 career postseason ERA with a good sample size, though he's been unlucky with that W-L record.

Greinke has a CYA win and 2 other top-4 finishes, plus 2 ERA titles. He seems to have lost it and needs to retire before he elevates his career ERA too much, but I would put him in the HOF.
    Waino is certainly a Cardinals HOFer but I am not sure he’s an MLB HOFer. Probably not first ballot for sure. Pujols is obviously a slam dunk HOFer and I think Yadi has a better shot at the HOF than Waino. For Yadi - 10X All-Star, 9 gold gloves, 2 World Series titles, 2,100+ hits, .277 career hitter, 176 HR. Probably a top 5-10 defensive catcher ever.

Waino is certainly a Cardinals HOFer but I am not sure he’s an MLB HOFer. Probably not first ballot for sure. Pujols is obviously a slam dunk HOFer and I think Yadi has a better shot at the HOF than Waino. For Yadi - 10X All-Star, 9 gold gloves, 2 World Series titles, 2,100+ hits, .277 career hitter, 176 HR. Probably a top 5-10 defensive catcher ever.
    Yes, Wanio will certainly get the Red HOF jacket for the Cardinals but I'm not sure about the Baseball HOF. He sure let everyone know how he feels about pitching at the Great Americal Ballpark after the game last night. He said there was curse on that stadium for visiting pitchers and he used part of a Bible verse with one of his comments. He said when he's pitched his last game there, he will dust off his feet from that park. Mostly tongue in cheek. I'm pretty sure that the Reds are the only team he has a losing record against. Last night he gave up 5 runs in the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Yes, Wanio will certainly get the Red HOF jacket for the Cardinals but I'm not sure about the Baseball HOF. He sure let everyone know how he feels about pitching at the Great Americal Ballpark after the game last night. He said there was curse on that stadium for visiting pitchers and he used part of a Bible verse with one of his comments. He said when he's pitched his last game there, he will dust off his feet from that park. Mostly tongue in cheek. I'm pretty sure that the Reds are the only team he has a losing record against. Last night he gave up 5 runs in the win.
    I would say Wainwright has pretty much zero chance at the MLB Hall of Fame. Just 3 All Star appearances, no Cy Youngs, and just ~46 career WAR. He was a great pitcher for about 5 years, and a good pitcher for a while beyond that. But he wasn't dominant enough at his peak to offset the lack of success longevity.

It was good seeing Mike Soroka take the mound yesterday for the Braves after missing quite some time from blowing his Achilles out twice. But the Braves lost to the worst team in baseball, the As, 7-2. The As came into the game at 10-45. They’re 11-45 now. Soroka took the L. Had to feel good throwing 6 innings though. The Dodgers now once again have the best record in the National League at 33-22.

Heckuva game last night by Aaron Judge. Too bad it was in Seattle at 10 eastern and very few saw it.

The Cardinals got a stellar start from Miles Mikolas last night in defeating the KC Royals 2-1. Miles went 8 innings giving up 3 hits, no runs with 10 Ks. . Once again the Cardinal bats were pretty silent. Manager Oliver Marmol contributes some of the problem from playing 19 games in row. Some of the players aren't using that excuse. One of the biggest problems has been the play of Willson Contreral, the 87 million dollar free agent picked up in the offseason. He just had a stretch of 0-30 and hit .168 in May. Marmol has continued to hit him 4th or 5th behind Nolan Arenado giving Nolan no protection. And of course, Paul DeJong has reverted to his old self hitting .202 for May. However, because the NL Central is so bad, they're only 4.5 behind the Brewers, even though the Cards are in last place.

Congratulations on making your MLB debut for the Seattle Mariners, Bryan Woo! The bad news is you get to start on the road against the Texas Rangers.

Through two innings he has allowed 6 runs but he does have 4 Ks

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Congratulations on making your MLB debut for the Seattle Mariners, Bryan Woo! The bad news is you get to start on the road against the Texas Rangers.

Through two innings he has allowed 6 runs but he does have 4 Ks
    The Rangers and D-Backs are two improved teams this season.

Both of them have demolished the Rockies (faint praise, I guess).

Yeah, and apparently just signing deGrom made the rest of the Rangers staff better

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Yeah, and apparently just signing deGrom made the rest of the Rangers staff better
    I guess that's at least something they're getting out of that signing.

Rangers pitcher Jacob deGrom will undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a ulnar collateral ligament tear, general manager Chris Young announced on Tuesday.
    https://twitter.com/espn/status/1666187834732994574
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post

Having Bruce Bochy as their manager, really helped the Rangers become relevant. From 68-94 to first place in the AL West this season shows what a good manager means to a team. Bruce has been one of the best over the years. I've liked the Texas Rangers for a long time because of Nolan Ryan. He was one of my favorite players.

What a shame. Should have been a high HOF player, but he's only averaged 11 games per year over the last 4 years now and will still be at just 84 career wins at age 36.

Yep not shocking but so far the team has been better since he went out. Would have been nice to have a guy like him in the postseason assuming the Rangers keep it going.

Some fun antics in game 1 of this weeks Braves / Mets series. Pete Alonso hit a homerun off of Bryce Elder and was loudly chirping from the dugout "throw it again, throw it again" which I'm assuming was his way of saying Elder thought he would fool him but didn't. The Mets went up 4-1 at the time but thanks to a 4 run 6th inning from Atlanta the Braves went ahead and ended up winning the game 6-4. During the rally in the 6th Tyler Matzek was seen taunting the Mets from the dugout yelling "throw it again!" haha

After the game the Braves social media accounts posted about the win with the caption "throw it again" lol
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

The Padres have had an odd season to date, but I have never seen anything like the last 10 games.

Starting with a 10-7 loss to the Yankees in NYC, the have scored the following numbers of runs per game:

7 (L)
    9 (W)
    1 (L)
    10 (W)
    1 (L)
    6 (W)
    1 (L)
    5 (W)
    1 (L)
    10 (W)

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The Padres have had an odd season to date, but I have never seen anything like the last 10 games.

Starting with a 10-7 loss to the Yankees in NYC, the have scored the following numbers of runs per game:

7 (L)
    9 (W)
    1 (L)
    10 (W)
    1 (L)
    6 (W)
    1 (L)
    5 (W)
    1 (L)
    10 (W)
    So, they are averaging about 5 runs per game. Better than average if you know what I mean about means.

Means sometimes are meaningful, and sometimes don't mean much.

Ha what a brutal series for the Mets.