Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WHOneedsSOX View Post
    Did they ever say what the injury was? Nothing major I'm guessing?
    A cartilage problem, we think. Here's what one of our legit board experts said.

Quote Originally Posted by billy View Post
    He could release it himself, or a waiver could be signed. Even with a waiver, the attorneys would likely be reluctant to have the medical team talk about it.

Cartilage is weird. Greg Oden is a great example of someone whose career was greatly affected by cartilage injuries. Trimming a flake of cartilage off the patella is quick and easy in the short term but might have long term implications (i.e. arthritis). Cartilage doesn’t “heal” very well - it has a crappy blood supply and gets it nourishment/oxygen from the joint fluid primarily. Cartilage injuries of the knee often cause a lot of swelling. Certainly ligament injuries can be bad too(ACL,PCL, patellar dislocations), but MCL and LCL injuries are far more common, heal routinely, and have very little long term ramifications (unless they’re associated with concomitant cartilage injuries).

Thrilled that Mark is coming back for his sophomore year! Yes, I'm very excited for next year's team!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

This is the one I've been holding out hope for. So happy to see this news.

Now with both Proctor AND Mitchell coming back we have two Excellent defensive standouts continuing on with the program. Assuming that McCain and Mgbako give us significant scoring punch, having a couple defensive stalwarts continuing into next season with them is potentially huge!

...assuming no lingering issues with the knee.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Thank you

Really liking the Scheyer era and getting some of our key guys to stick around. This culture change of sorts bodes well for our future, and we are going to be pretty good next year. Possibly REALLY good.

Great to have Mark back for his superior defense and his offensive versatility. He can improve the arc on his shot for even better shooting which was good, because he took good shot opportunities. I was hoping we would get deeper with more competitive players against the best competition and we seem to be getting it at guard and forward. Still looking for decisions by C and pf.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Potentially a similar injury that he has already dealt with before.

from 2022 regarding injury in 2019:
    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...man-187542289/

After examining Mark, Dr. Key sent him for an MRI and diagnosed him with a chondral injury to his right patella, or cartilage damage under his kneecap. “It’s a pretty common injury for athletes in running and jumping sports,” says Dr. Key. “It’s a hyper-extension injury. He had a flap of cartilage that was causing inflammation in his knee. I did an arthroscopic procedure and basically smoothed out the cartilage that was catching like a hangnail causing inflammation.”
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    Really liking the Scheyer era and getting some of our key guys to stick around. This culture change of sorts bodes well for our future, and we are going to be pretty good next year. Possibly REALLY good.
    We'll have the most experience on the court in forever, that's for sure.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This is such great news on the heels of (bad choice of words there?) Tyrese's announcement. I was giddy after the 1st bit of great news, and now I'm on cloud nine...no, make that ecstatic! You've got to love some roster continuity...welcome back, Mr. Mitchell! I'm very excited to see what both you and the team can accomplish next year - thanks for putting a grin on all our faces.

I loved how he and Proctor referenced “unfinished business.“ I hope that’s the theme that the whole team shares, and then only the guys that really need to go go. Go Duke! 9F
    (three “go”s in a row that aren’t a typo)
    And as a little fantasy, I would love to see a two-on-two playground matchup between our two returnees and the Cheats’ two returnees.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    We'll have the most experience on the court in forever, that's for sure.
    It feels that way, but it's actually not the case. The 2022 team had more: John (COVID-year guy), Baker (senior), Moore (junior), Roach (sophomore), and Williams (sophomore). The 2021 team as well: Tape (5th year senior), Goldwire (senior), Baker (junior), Hurt (sophomore), and Moore (sophomore). And 2020 as well: DeLaurier (senior), White (senior), Goldwire (junior), O'Connell (junior), Baker (sophomore), Jones (sophomore).

It just feels that way (and I agree it feels that way) I guess because we had SO much turnover this year.

Great news about Mark. He's the kind of glue guy that every championship level team needs. Now young man, in addition to hitting the weights with everyone else, I want you in the gym getting up 300+ jumpshots a day. With more arc. That is your #1 mission this offseason: improve the jumpshot. I know your percentages were good, but your form needs to improve. Get to work!

The last time Duke had 2 players who were full time starters who were underclassmen with very good chance to be drafted and came back was 2011 with Singler and Nolan. (Or 2013 with Curry and Mason Plumlee, if you consider Curry a potential NBA pick as a junior, he ultimately went undrafted as a senior so that's why I didn't count him).

M&M and TP are turning into two of my favorites Devils ever.

Feeling so good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    M&M and TP are turning into two of my favorites Devils ever.

Feeling so good right now.
    Feeling the same and loving that tandem. Man I want Flip to return so badly. I know we'll know soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The last time Duke had 2 players who were full time starters who were underclassmen with very good chance to be drafted and came back was 2011 with Singler and Nolan. (Or 2013 with Curry and Mason Plumlee, if you consider Curry a potential NBA pick as a junior, he ultimately went undrafted as a senior so that's why I didn't count him).
    To be fair, I wouldn't say we currently have two returning players who were underclassmen starters "with very good chance to be drafted," at least not yet. While I am a huge fan of what Mitchell brings, he wasn't going to get drafted this year. And Proctor was only a maybe. BUT, there's still a chance we'll get two such cases.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To be fair, I wouldn't say we currently have two returning players who were underclassmen starters "with very good chance to be drafted," at least not yet. While I am a huge fan of what Mitchell brings, he wasn't going to get drafted this year. And Proctor was only a maybe. BUT, there's still a chance we'll get two such cases.
    I think Proctor would definitely have been picked in the 2nd rd, and Mitchell has as good a chance of being picked this year as Stewart, Keels and Duvall did coming out of their freshmen years. Of course ultimately only Keels of the 3 got picked, but all 3 went believing they had a reasonably good chance of being picked.

Awesome news! We are so accustomed to replacing our entire team every year that the notion of getting back two starters feels too good to be true. Add in our usual awesome freshman class and hopefully some bench pieces who stick around and we can see Jon’s vision of more continuity coming together.

In addition to smoothing out his shooting form, I’m looking for more assertiveness offensively from Mitchell. He picked his spots well but often deferred and thus had games where he was invisible on offense. He also had some tunnel vision, going straight to the rim but rarely dishing or setting up teammates. So lots of areas to improve but we know he brings it every game and does so many little things that contribute to winning. Can’t wait for the season to start!

The only downside I can see to Mitchell coming back next season is that there will be two MMs and both around 6'8" and 220 lbs.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The only downside I can see to Mitchell coming back next season is that there will be two MMs and both around 6'8" and 220 lbs.
    That's a hefty "Mmmm!" after every victory.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."