Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Outstanding!!! I have been one of his biggest supporters on this site all year. I voted for him for man of the match multiple times. I think his absence in the Tennessee game was one, if not the main reason for our loss.

So, so excited to hear this announcement!

Who's next?

Great news!

Just thinking about the defense for next season; assuming we lose Lively to the pros, can't expect to match the defense we had when things were clicking down the stretch.
    But -- Proctor and Mitchell are both good defenders who can likely get even better. It's a good start defensively.

Very good news - he was coming into his own on O and has become a defensive stopper. Great to have team experience!

Yes, Mitchell and Proctor are strong defenders and should help bring the freshmen along.

So wonderful to have both of them returning!

Guess I need to buy two brotherhood shirts. Does that get me free shipping?

Really hard to replace our star rim defender and rebounder. But, with Mitchell and Proctor guys may find it much harder to get to the rim.

We have our bass player!!

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Great news!

Just thinking about the defense for next season; assuming we lose Lively to the pros, can't expect to match the defense we had when things were clicking down the stretch.
    But -- Proctor and Mitchell are both good defenders who can likely get even better. It's a good start defensively.
    Yeah, there's no one who can replace Lively's rim protection, not just on the projected roster but arguably in the country. That said, our perimeter defense and switch-ability should continue to be excellent with Proctor and Mitchell returning. If they're on the floor with Foster, who doesn't have a specific defensive reputation but is a reported 6'5'', that's once again a ton of size and length to bother opponents with.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

It seems the trend in college basketball is to have multiple versatile strong forwards who can run, rebound, defend and hit the occasional shot. We will have at least 3 of them next year!

Mitchell is on the verge of being an elite college player. An off season of hard work could make him an All ACC player.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    If by this you mean you have back the most important member of the band, then I agree with you. (Bass player here....perhaps slightly biased.)
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Really hard to replace our star rim defender and rebounder. But, with Mitchell and Proctor guys may find it much harder to get to the rim.
    I am eager to see the development of Reeves- playing against Lively and the starters in practice. You never know.

Huge news. Our most consistent player this year who started every game except the last one. His absence was the biggest reason we lost to Tennessee IMO. He has a great motor and seems to be a mature guy who could be a leader next year. If he can improve his shot mechanics his upside is very high.

Drums

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    If by this you mean you have back the most important member of the band, then I agree with you. (Bass player here...perhaps slightly biased.)

Im bass and guitar and trying to lean drums later in life. I am gonna throw out you need the good drummer AND bass player. The rest, not nearly as important. Except for the voice. Whether beautiful or just “character” with bass, drums and a voice, you got it.

And amps that go to 11.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I am eager to see the development of Reeves- playing against Lively and the starters in practice. You never know.
    Me, too. His showing in the Blue/White scrimmage led me to believe he'd be one-and-done...kidding...kind of...

Returning at least two starters and a key reserve from an ACC championship team is a good place to start, especially when you can complement those three with a top-5 recruiting class (albeit in a down year the high school class as a whole).

I feel really good about our team from PG through PF at this point. Would like to add a center, and I'm assuming we will do so either with Flip returning or adding somebody from the portal.

But very glad to have Mark Mitchell returning. He's a coach's dream: doing whatever is asked of him and rarely doing things out of his skillset. Always a plus to have a guy like him on the squad, especially now with a year under his belt!

Did they ever say what the injury was? Nothing major I'm guessing?

I'm not as worried about the "log jam" of players that can play overlapping positions positions.

Young is a 5. Rebounder and good interior scorer
    Flip (if he returns) is 4/5
    Stewart is 4/small ball 5
    Mac is 3/4
    Mitchell is 3/4
    Power is 3/4

Reeves (if he returns) is 5
    Portal big will be more of a mobile rim protector.

All of this is Duke adding depth to meet the demands of each game. Duke will be able to go big, small, defensive, offensive and whatever else situational is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Perfect analogy ... the unsung but many times the most important member of the group ... he's one of my favs. And like others have mentioned, I think we saw what his absence meant in the Tennessee game.

Thanks for being a devil MM!

More great news. I hate to be greedy but if flip returns...

Just fantastic news. Especially after several recent years of more guys leaving early than I'd have preferred. So this is a pleasant surprise (having two really good starting freshmen tell us they are coming back - especially this early in the process).

If we get Flip back as well, we are loaded for bear!