Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    Also of potential relevance: it is likely not a benefit in the DC Metro Area to be a Duke basketball player. In my experience, at least, there is still a lot of anti-Duke sentiment in the area from a few fan bases, most notably Maryland fans whose rooting interest predates Maryland's departure from the ACC.

Davis may not draw the negative reactions someone like JJ might, but between his Duke connections and his past business dealings, this group leading with Davis is increasingly curious.
    I feel confident to the utmost degree that any owner who delivers winning NFL football will have the full support of the DC area. Any new owner who fails will be disliked. Duke has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I feel confident to the utmost degree that any owner who delivers winning NFL football will have the full support of the DC area. Any new owner who fails will be disliked. Duke has nothing to do with it.
    Sure - do well and who cares about anything else. No disagreement there, your utmost confidence is well-merited.

But to provide winning football, you have to become the owner first. I was only observing that leading in the public approach phase with a strong Duke connection with a checkered business past is unexpected and potentially unhelpful with the fanbase, to the extent that is a consideration at this point in the process.

I’d give this deal a much higher probability of success, if Brian’s teammate (Grant Hill) was leading it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    This story makes absolutely no sense. The NFL is incredibly careful who they let buy teams. They go through a major vetting process (they don't want another Snyder, or, to a lesser extent, Haslam). Davis almost definitely isn't the money guy here so why would he be fronting the group? As noted above, once you get past the initial positive headline of "Duke champion basketball player Brian Davis" there is a fair amount of dirt. The NFL might consider putting up with dirt on the primary money person. But not on someone who it sounds like is being more of an arranger.
    Yes, Brian appears to be having a delusional moment. Reminds me a bit of the time I put in my name for Pope (don't have to be Catholic, did you know that?)...

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Damn that is a lot of cash. Apparently Snyder won't sell the team to Besos.
    Yeah he gave him the kiss-off.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Yeah he gave him the kiss-off.
    This, I believe, is merely a ploy to get more money out of Bezos.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Sure - do well and who cares about anything else. No disagreement there, your utmost confidence is well-merited.

But to provide winning football, you have to become the owner first. I was only observing that leading in the public approach phase with a strong Duke connection with a checkered business past is unexpected and potentially unhelpful with the fanbase, to the extent that is a consideration at this point in the process.
    But the fan base is irrelevant to the process of selling the team. To wit: the existence of the Indianapolis Colts and the Baltimore Ravens.

The issue for Davis’ bid is that the NFL is very risk averse when it comes to selling teams, and they want to fully get the primary owner (because they have to work with that guy), and Davis certainly isn’t in position to be the primary owner and has a pretty poor track record when it comes to big money deals. Like sage said, his Duke background won’t matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Brian was a terrific player, but I'm more than skeptical about the existence of any group that has him handle seven billion dollars in cash for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorhook View Post
    I am interested to see who is fronting him with the 7 billion since it is certainly not coming from him.
    I have an extra $100 I can throw into the pot, if Brian would like to send me a message on this board. But I would like my own skybox and preferential parking, for that investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I’d give this deal a much higher probability of success, if Brian’s teammate (Grant Hill) was leading it.
    Would the son of a Cowboy want to own their rival ?

Why not? Dallas has owned the rivalry series over Washington, 76-48-2 in head-to-head matchups.

Calvin played for the Redskins for two seasons!

Grant was only 4 years old when his family moved to Reston, Virginia. The DC area is where Grant grew up.

I think Snyder is pretending to sell to get the other owners off his back until the investigation into his behavior blows over.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Davis was an extremely aggressive player. It allowed him to play an important role on 2 national championship teams despite not being as highly recruited as his teammates.
    You aren't kidding about Davis being an aggressive player. Back in the day, I was convinced that slapping the floor was Duke's way of instructing Brian Davis to commit a defensive foul.

Joking aside, Brain was a fantastic contributor on the court* and I wish him well off the court.

*Who can forget the incredible "and-1" he converted with about a minute left in the 91 National Semi-final to put Duke on top vs Vegas.

Calvin Hill also starred for Washington.

The Washington Football fans didn't have a problem with Sonny Jurgensen as their QB and after retirement as one of their broadcasters.

GoDuke!

Calvin Hill also starred for Washington.
    Yeah I forgot that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I think Snyder is pretending to sell to get the other owners off his back until the investigation into his behavior blows over.
    This has been my worry too. Snyder is capable of trying anything/everything to keep the team. DC fans desperately need to get rid of Snyder. Hopefully, the owners keep the pressure on him and set a deadline for him to sell.

so...

looks like much more credible candidates have emerged:https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...bid-commanders

Isn't the Raven's owner also a huge UMD booster? It seems like their loyalty would lie more with Baltimore than Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    Isn't the Raven's owner also a huge UMD booster? It seems like their loyalty would lie more with Baltimore than Washington.
    Not that it matters much at this stage as others have noted, but I don't think UMD fan =/= Ravens fan. The Ravens are not yet 30 years old as a franchise, so Washington football had broad reach into Maryland for quite some time, including into the Baltimore area, only 1+ hours' drive or a MARC ride away. UMD's College Park campus is in the DC suburbs just outside the capital beltway; the Commanders' FedEx Field, where the Washington team has played since the year after the Ravens came to Baltimore, is in a nearby Maryland suburb only about a fifteen minute drive from UMD. With the ups and downs of other regional programs like Georgetown, UMD has been the strongest college basketball allegiance I have encountered among DC locals since I moved to the area in the 90s. And UMD basketball fans, particularly those who rooted in the late 90s through 2010 or so, are not fond of Duke.