New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Duke Football 2023

I don't see a '23 thread for the new season, and since Spring Practice is underway, it's time to start looking ahead in earnest.

GoDuke has a couple articles and videos up, including this one.
    https://goduke.com/news/2023/3/24/fo...on-friday.aspx

Of course, Jim Sumner has put out his thoughts in his usual excellent writing as well. (Totally worth subscribing to!) He notes what a difference just a year under new leadership has made.
    Duke was coming into the spring with an eight-game losing streak, a new staff, nothing resembling a starting quarterback or running back and an uncertain rebuilding project that might take years to come to fruition, if it ever worked at all.

Well, that rebuilding project didn’t take as long as we thought it would. Elko begins his second spring practice at Duke fresh off a nine-win season, a bowl victory and renewed respect.
    https://jimsumner.substack.com/p/duk...ns-2023-spring

Side note, Duke is hosting a Pro Day today.
    Nine former Blue Devils will work out for NFL scouts and coaches. Running back RaShawn Allen, long snapper Evan Deckers, wide receiver Eric Gallman II, offensive lineman Andre Harris, linebacker Shaka Heyward, safety Darius Joiner, cornerback Dominique Long, offensive lineman Chance Lytle and cornerback Datrone Young will all take part in the event.
    https://goduke.com/news/2023/3/26/fo...on-monday.aspx

Duke's Spring Game will be held April 22nd at 1.

Reminder of this year's tough but amazing schedule.

Sep 4 Vs Clemson (Monday)
    Sep 9 Vs Lafayette
    Sep 16 Vs Northwestern
    Sep 23 @ UCONN
    Sep 30 Vs Notre Dame
    Oct 7 Bye
    Oct 14 Vs NC State
    Oct 21 @ FSU
    Oct 28 @ Louisville
    Nov 2 Vs Wake Forest
    Nov 11 @ Cheaters
    Nov 18 @ Virginia
    Nov 25 Vs Pitt
    Last edited by -jk; 03-27-2023 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Of course, Jim Sumner has put out his thoughts in his usual excellent writing as well. (Totally worth subscribing to!
    This is worth repeating. Jim’s work is outstanding.

Love the home schedule! Very tough but fun.

I don't see a '23 thread for the new season, and since Spring Practice is underway, it's time to start looking ahead in earnest.

GoDuke has a couple articles and videos up, including this one.
    https://goduke.com/news/2023/3/24/fo...on-friday.aspx

Of course, Jim Sumner has put out his thoughts in his usual excellent writing as well. (Totally worth subscribing to!) He notes what a difference just a year under new leadership has made.

https://jimsumner.substack.com/p/duk...ns-2023-spring

Side note, Duke is hosting a Pro Day today.

https://goduke.com/news/2023/3/26/fo...on-monday.aspx

Reminder of this year's tough but amazing schedule.

Sep 4 Vs Clemson (Monday)
    Sep 9 Vs Lafayette
    Sep 16 Vs Northwestern
    Sep 23 @ UCONN
    Sep 30 Vs Notre Dame
    Oct 7 Bye
    Oct 14 Vs NC State
    Oct 28 @ Louisville
    Nov 2 Vs Wake Forest
    Nov 11 @ Cheaters
    Nov 18 @ Virginia
    Nov 25 Vs Pitt
    Thanks for starting this, Cameron.
    I follow Duke football about as closely as anyone, so I had to do some digging to figure out who RaShawn Allen, Eric Gallman II and Dominique Long are. Of course I wish all of them the best, but taking part in Pro Day for them seems pretty ambitious...nothing to lose I guess.

Just a note that that the schedule above skipped the game at FSU on 10/21. That is a brutal conference schedule with the inclusion of Notre Dame. If Elko can build upon last season’s huge success with a 7-5 record or better, it would be a more impressive on-field performance. Culturally, Elko hit a home run and I have not been as excited about Duke football since Spurrier!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Just a note that that the schedule above skipped the game at FSU on 10/21. That is a brutal conference schedule with the inclusion of Notre Dame. If Elko can build upon last season’s huge success with a 7-5 record or better, it would be a more impressive on-field performance. Culturally, Elko hit a home run and I have not been as excited about Duke football since Spurrier!
    Thanks for catching the FSU skip. While I love our home schedule from a fan's perspective, my one big complaint is the way it's spread out. Or not spread out, rather. It's very front loaded, with lots of games in Wallace Wade in September once again. Last year was an anomaly, in that we had a great home and away balance. If there were two home games on back to back weekends, I don't remember them.
    For out of town fans that go to games in person, it's always nice to have a breather weekend between those trips. Plus, it's not a bad idea to get road game experience earlier than later, and that's not the case this year yet again.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thanks for catching the FSU skip. While I love our home schedule from a fan's perspective, my one big complaint is the way it's spread out. Or not spread out, rather. It's very front loaded, with lots of games in Wallace Wade in September once again. Last year was an anomaly, in that we had a great home and away balance. If there were two home games on back to back weekends, I don't remember them.
    For out of town fans that go to games in person, it's always nice to have a breather weekend between those trips. Plus, it's not a bad idea to get road game experience earlier than later, and that's not the case this year yet again.
    Unfortunately this just happens some time, as there are fewer conference games early, and we often have more OOC games at home than on the road...I have the same problem with travel, but will surely try to catch the Clemmons, NW and ND games and skip Lafayette, just as I learned to skip quite of the few A&T or NCCU games which were largely boring. I'm just hoping that most of the September games won't be at noon, and I suspect they won't be.

Using polling data, College Football News asserts that the Duke football team is preseason #1 in the ACC

(in terms of strength of schedule)

https://collegefootballnews.com/sche...-rankings-2023

The Oct 7 opponent really scares me, the rest of the schedule is a cake walk. Elkow has made me a BELIEVER!

Unfortunately I'll miss the Spring Game due to our camping trip, but the first 4,000 people get hats! From an email I got today.

Fan Giveaway - The first 4,000 fans will receive a FREE Duke Football BleedBlue hat when entering the stadium. Free 2023 Duke football posters, schedule magnets, schedule cards and key tags will also be available on the concourse.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

One week away! The Duke football players will have had a few days to recuperate from their intense income tax filing, with all those new 1099-NIL forms.

ESPN Watch has the Duke Blue & White Spring Game on ACCNX. Click here.

A bunch of ACC teams have their spring games today. This tweet from an ESPN college sports PR guy posts a schedule of teams, times, channels, and announcers. In case you miss any spring game when it airs live, ESPN Watch should have it available on replay:

Boston College
    Clemson
    Florida State
    Georgia Tech
    Miami
    NC State
    Pittsburgh
    UNC
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech
    Wake Forest

Louisville and Syracuse will have their spring games next Friday evening.