Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Great news! Sounds like Flip and/or Mitchell are leaning towards staying as well. I think Lively was the difference maker for this team but fully expect him to go. Hopefully we can get a mobile big in the portal.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Operating under the assumption Jeremy leaves (which is still an assumption until we hear otherwise), Tyrese's return gives us a lot of exciting options in the backcourt.

Caleb Foster is typically listed at 6'5''. While he isn't noted for his raw athleticism, nothing I've read on him marks his defense as a negative... and when it comes to high school recruiting, given the emphasis on offense my read on things is always that if they mention defense as a positive it must be really good, if they mention defense as a negative it must be really bad, otherwise it's a likely unknown in a broad middle range. But if Foster can develop defensively, like Tyrese did last year, we could start two 6-5 guards to go along with the potential forward combo of Mitchell and Mgbako, who are themselves both big and long. That could be scary defensively, even if our 5 doesn't give us elite rim protection.

McCain is a bit smaller than Foster (I typically see him around 6'3''), so I imagine his defensive ceiling is a bit lower... but by all accounts his offensive game, especially his shot, is more refined. If Tyrese continues to improve his shot from where it was towards the end of the year, alongside McCain we could project a backcourt with two guys that can shoot near 40% from deep.

While the podcast crew gave some "educated guesses" that Blakes was a transfer candidate, I'd be shocked if both he and Schutt transfer (unless Roach returns). I also think that Schutt should be ready to see minutes this year after another summer of development. If so, that group of (at minimum) 4 playable guards will give us depth, plus the ability to go to a 3 guard lineup when necessary (against, say, smaller teams like Miami or a 2-3 zone). That versatility could be a major luxury.

All of this is to expand upon what the consensus here is: our backcourt becomes a strength, rather than a freshman-led question mark, with Tyrese's return. We've seen how important guard play is this tournament, and now we have our own experienced, NBA-level talent to lead the squad next year. I'm pumped.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I don’t know whether McCain is 6-2, 6-3 or 6-4, but this from the release on him being named California Gatorade Player of The Year was impressive: “Jared has volunteered locally on behalf of a school sports program for special needs students and has maintained a 4.0 GPA in the classroom.”
    And a social media star. I suspect he'll be able to help his teammates in that area and generate significant NIL dollars.

Let's freaking go.

I wouldn't blame Proctor if he left but I'm thrilled he's returning. Brendan Marks is alluding to other returns. I expect Mitchell and Flip to come back and have for a bit. Let's goooooo.

awesome !!!!!!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    And a social media star. I suspect he'll be able to help his teammates in that area and generate significant NIL dollars.
    Yup... although who knows what'll happen if TikTok suddenly gets banned, haha.

But all kidding aside, McCain's "influencer" status is at the level that he already had endorsement deals in HS, and could easily make 5 or even 6 figures off his own social media sphere alone (without any help from Rachel Baker). This means he's a prime candidate to be a multi-year guy, especially since his size doesn't immediately project to the next level... and you're 100% right that with the way social media works, his presence could improve the earning potential of the rest of the team in that venue. We're in a brave new world, folks!

This is absolutely fantastic news! Getting Proctor back, combined with Mitchell, gives us a puncher’s chance at an NCAA title next year. Were the unthinkable to happen, and Flip also returned, I’d put us right up there with anyone in the nation as a favorite to win the national title next year.

Yes, I’m that optimistic!

Go Duke!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Operating under the assumption Jeremy leaves (which is still an assumption until we hear otherwise), Tyrese's return gives us a lot of exciting options in the backcourt.

Caleb Foster is typically listed at 6'5''. While he isn't noted for his raw athleticism, nothing I've read on him marks his defense as a negative... and when it comes to high school recruiting, given the emphasis on offense my read on things is always that if they mention defense as a positive it must be really good, if they mention defense as a negative it must be really bad, otherwise it's a likely unknown in a broad middle range. But if Foster can develop defensively, like Tyrese did last year, we could start two 6-5 guards to go along with the potential forward combo of Mitchell and Mgbako, who are themselves both big and long. That could be scary defensively, even if our 5 doesn't give us elite rim protection.

McCain is a bit smaller than Foster (I typically see him around 6'3''), so I imagine his defensive ceiling is a bit lower... but by all accounts his offensive game, especially his shot, is more refined. If Tyrese continues to improve his shot from where it was towards the end of the year, alongside McCain we could project a backcourt with two guys that can shoot near 40% from deep.

While the podcast crew gave some "educated guesses" that Blakes was a transfer candidate, I'd be shocked if both he and Schutt transfer (unless Roach returns). I also think that Schutt should be ready to see minutes this year after another summer of development. If so, that group of (at minimum) 4 playable guards will give us depth, plus the ability to go to a 3 guard lineup when necessary (against, say, smaller teams like Miami or a 2-3 zone). That versatility could be a major luxury.

All of this is to expand upon what the consensus here is: our backcourt becomes a strength, rather than a freshman-led question mark, with Tyrese's return. We've seen how important guard play is this tournament, and now we have our own experienced, NBA-level talent to lead the squad next year. I'm pumped.
    Thank you for the thoughtful post, scott. Just one thing, though: Are you really saying Roach leaving Duke makes things MORE exciting (and possibly better?) or am I reading too much into your comment?

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Great news! Sounds like Flip and/or Mitchell are leaning towards staying as well. I think Lively was the difference maker for this team but fully expect him to go. Hopefully we can get a mobile big in the portal.
    If Flip and Mitchell return Duke will not need anymore bigs. If Jeremy surprises everyone and returns , Duke will have 4 guards and 3 wings who can go off for 20 plus points on any given night.Young , Stewart, Reeves and occasionally Flip can handle the post. With the firepower at the 1-3 positions and Flip at PF Duke will just need defense and rebounds from the center position.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Thank you for the thoughtful post, scott. Just one thing, though: Are you really saying Roach leaving Duke makes things MORE exciting (and possibly better?) or am I reading too much into your comment?
    Oh no no no! Apologies for that. If Jeremy Roach comes back and gives us senior leadership (and potentially our whole opening day starting 5 returning given Lively's early injury... can you imagine?!?!) our ceiling skyrockets, especially given how he and Tyrese complimented each other down the stretch. I'm just operating under the assumption he's gone given what we know so as to prepare myself for that sad news. If he returns... ohhhhh boy.

Let’s go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Let’s go!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But...we want them to stay tho.

Ha! My daughter just texted me: "This is the best day of my life!" when she saw the announcement.

FWIW, in ESPN's story they note that Tyrese was #30 on their current draft rankings, i.e. a borderline first round pick. That means he had a tougher decision to make than many of us thought, as most recent mocks had him more as a mid second rounder.

I don't think it can be understated how big this is for both the program and Coach Scheyer, even more so if the other dominoes that we're expecting to fall soon follow. Coach S said he wanted us to get older, and this is a huge first step to achieving that goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I don’t know whether McCain is 6-2, 6-3 or 6-4, but this from the release on him being named California Gatorade Player of The Year was impressive: “Jared has volunteered locally on behalf of a school sports program for special needs students and has maintained a 4.0 GPA in the classroom.”
    He's 6'4 Look at his Instagram there's a picture of him and Scheyer and hes same height almost Scheyer is 6'5

FWIW, in ESPN's story they note that Tyrese was #30 on their current draft rankings, i.e. a borderline first round pick. That means he had a tougher decision to make than many of us thought, as most recent mocks had him more as a mid second rounder.

I don't think it can be understated how big this is for both the program and Coach Scheyer, even more so if the other dominoes that we're expecting to fall soon follow. Coach S said he wanted us to get older, and this is a huge first step to achieving that goal.
    Just out of curiosity, I wonder where Flip and Mitchell slot in at in their rankings...

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Ha! My daughter just texted me: "This is the best day of my life!" when she saw the announcement.
    Your daughter has a wonderful perspective -- but here's to hoping her general life improves to a much larger degree

Mccain is 6'4 maybe 6'5 look at his Instagram hes same height as Scheyer almost

If we bring back Flip and Mitchell, I'd be surprised if we weren't Preseason title favorites. Guard experience and talent + frontcourt experience and talent + versatility + depth would be incredible.

I think maybe the only missing piece would be a portal big if the coaching staff wants Flip to play PF rather than C. Duke would be devastating offensively though with Flip at the 5.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Proctor wears the jersey number 5. "Run it back 5" = 'Proctor is returning.'
    Run it back 5...for 6