Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    You are correct, sir; I did not see a single college game involving David Thompson. His era was before my time.
    Those that weren't blessed to see DT play, you missed in my eyes the best college basketball player of all-time. Yes, even better than MJ, Jabar, the Birdman, Pistol Pete, Zion and even Christian. DT was phenomenal.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think Duke kinda expected Gary Trent to stick around.

Can you imagine the team that would have been Tre, Trent, Cam, RJ, and Zion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    Or if it had role players that weren't Jack White and Javin DeLaurier.
    Trent or if Jack White's 3 point shot had not completely disappeared as the season ended. I think he was the shooter that team needed, but something happened to his shot and/or confidence.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

IIRC, Jack White was shooting well until the Syracuse game in Cameron when Tre got hurt (and the air went out of the building). JW went something like 0-10 as the game went south. And didn’t recover his shot the rest of the year. Correlation is not causation. But that game felt like the turning point.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Trent or if Jack White's 3 point shot had not completely disappeared as the season ended. I think he was the shooter that team needed, but something happened to his shot and/or confidence.
    I think the disappearance of White midway through his Jr year was a huge blow to that team. Earlier in the season he was a defensive beast who seemed to always be in the right spot at the right time. He was also shooting really well from outside. Then he had that 0-10 game against Syracuse and he never seemed to recover. If had been able to keep shooting like he had earlier in the season, he would have been the ultimate glue guy and Duke would have won it all. I'm convinced of that. He was Nate James 2.0. It took him a while to get back to that player but he is now getting a run in the nba.

Who had the highest foul rate in Duke history? DeLaurier had to be near the top. He seemed to foul out all the time, and you'd look at the box score, and he played less than 10 minutes.

Who had the highest foul rate in Duke history? DeLaurier had to be near the top. He seemed to foul out all the time, and you'd look at the box score, and he played less than 10 minutes.
    In the last 15 years, the highest I've seen so far (among regulars of course) is DeLaurier, barely edging out Zoubek. Casey Sanders was a bit worse than both of those guys. But Marty Nessley (who allegedly doesn't foul!) blows them all away.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    In the last 15 years, the highest I've seen so far (among regulars of course) is DeLaurier, barely edging out Zoubek. Casey Sanders was a bit worse than both of those guys. But Marty Nessley (who allegedly doesn't foul!) blows them all away.
    Josh Hairston says hi.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Josh Hairston says hi.
    Yep, he tops everyone but Nessley!

My memory of Zoubek is clouded by what he did the second half of his senior year. Makes it easier to forget how frustrating he was earlier on. Without looking at stats, I assume he got better at avoiding fouling as time went on, but I don't feel like DeLaurier ever did.

My memory of Zoubek is clouded by what he did the second half of his senior year. Makes it easier to forget how frustrating he was earlier on. Without looking at stats, I assume he got better at avoiding fouling as time went on, but I don't feel like DeLaurier ever did.
    Zoubek actually got steadily worse in foul rate over his 4 years, and had easily his worst foul rate as a senior. And it was worse than DeLaurier's career average. DeLaurier's sophomore through senior years had a lower foul rate than Zoubek's, and he generally trended downward in foul rate. It was DeLaurier's freshman year that pushed him "ahead" of Zoubek.

But as noted, Hairston averaged over half a foul more per 40 minutes than either Zoubs or DeLaurier.

Zoubek actually got steadily worse in foul rate over his 4 years, and had easily his worst foul rate as a senior. And it was worse than DeLaurier's career average. DeLaurier's sophomore through senior years had a lower foul rate than Zoubek's, and he generally trended downward in foul rate. It was DeLaurier's freshman year that pushed him "ahead" of Zoubek.

But as noted, Hairston averaged over half a foul more per 40 minutes than either Zoubs or DeLaurier.
    Interesting. Goes to show what my memory is good for.

DeLaurier was probably the Duke player that I was most disappointed in. I know he wasn't a *5 star coming out of high school but he was expected to be a good player. A player that was a good defender and a decent offensive player. I thought he would be a Lance Thomas type player. A player that would excel on defense by his senior year and not be a liability on offense. He never became that type player.

GoDuke!

As a member of the (small but very exclusive) Marty Nessley fan club, and a spectator at every home game he played, I can confirm that Marty doesn't foul.

In their ignorance, though, the refs claimed he fouled, at a rate per game of 1.3, 0.9, 1.3, and 2,3 fpg during his four seasons. Wait, that's nothing, you'd think. But as Nessley fans know, when based on his foul per minute rates, he fouled at a rate per 40 minute game of 7.6, 5.9, 9.3, and 8.1 fpg. That's the Marty I remember.

DeLaurier would a great guy to bring in at the end of the half or at the end of regulation when you're up but you haven't committed 7 fouls yet, and you want to disrupt what the other team is trying to do on their last possession. You wouldn't even need to tell him the plan. Just put him in the game.

Devilish : Tyrese Proctor

https://youtu.be/D8AHHkl_KVs
    6 months old video of Proctor but fun to watch, especially if you have not seen it.
    The Chi Master

Posted today.

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress

Spent time with Tyrese Proctor in LA this week to check in on his progress this summer and talk about what he's been working on. The Australian point guard looks like he's going to have a big sophomore season at the helm of a Duke team with national championship aspirations.

More workout footage and full interview here:

7:02 PM · May 26, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Posted today.

Spent time with Tyrese Proctor in LA this week to check in on his progress this summer and talk about what he's been working on. The Australian point guard looks like he's going to have a big sophomore season at the helm of a Duke team with national championship aspirations.

Thanks for the link! Very nice interview. The thing that stood out to me about the interview is it's clear Tyrese is training for the NBA. His first quote says that he's "[working] on a lot of details that are going to make the next change from college to the NBA...guarding guys a lot bigger than me." Which is kinda interesting coming from a guy going NOT technically currently preparing for the NBA next season.

But, I like that mindset of course, showing that he wants to leverage Duke/college to better prepare himself to make an impact in the NBA when he's there, but feels that he basically has unfinished business in college still. Great stuff!

Theo John had an incredibly high rate of fouling and was a liability putting people on the line.

Tyrese Proctor will be a lottery pick
    After he finishes. Expectations are high for me. He will be the Pete Maravich passing savant. I expect Tyrese will be explosive scoring and high assist average.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Theo John had an incredibly high rate of fouling and was a liability putting people on the line.

Tyrese Proctor will be a lottery pick
    After he finishes. Expectations are high for me. He will be the Pete Maravich passing savant. I expect Tyrese will be explosive scoring and high assist average.
    Theo got an unearned reputation for being a fouler among refs early in the year, and got an unfairly quick whistle the rest of the season, by my memory.

That, or he was so strong, opposing players would bounce off his steel frame, writhing in agony at their relative weakness, and the refs would mistakenly assume he initiated the contact.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Posted today.

Great interview. And Tyrese looks like he’s put on some muscle which is great to see.