• Florida Atlantic

7 10.61%
  • Miami

27 40.91%
  • Connecticut

27 40.91%
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    The Final 4 ,3 teams are as untalented as ever.Conn has gotten really good.Im as suprised as anyone.
    If the final teams are so bad... why aren't we there? Saying the FF teams stink is a smack in our own face. Give credit where credit is due.

FAU, SDSU, Uconn and Miami got there. They made plays when we couldn't. FAU directly beat Tennessee who MANHANDLED Duke. And I do mean that UT beat the sh*t out of us. Dirty? maybe. But FAU said "bring it" and Duke faded and "got knocked back" as has so ferakin' often been the case with too many freshman. So to say FAU is untalented but the beat the team that beat us? Well, I guess we REALLY suck? That's just simple and pure logic. Though you could argue they are untalented but stronger with the ball and we are more talented but weak with the ball. But the result remains the same. The NCAA will always allow some fouling and more steals. HAVE TO BE A MAN AND GET TOUGH AND STRONG with the ball. Duke struggles with that.

Give em credit man. These 4 teams are strong with the ball and fight. And c'mon.. We don't beat Miami -probably- even once if Wong isn't sick at Cameron or Omier doesn't get hurt in ACC title game. Omier is a HUGE key to Miami. Miami and UConn are clearly better and older than us. And FAU beat Tennessee. That leaves only SDSU who would really push us with that nasty STRONG (fouling?) defense.

I think your statemtent is a little 'pro-Duke-glasses'.

It has been an interesting ride following SDSU these past few years and now this tournament run. I see plenty of people saying that UConn is unbeatable — that they will be able to both shut down the Aztec’s offense (several teams have been able to do that) AND score against San Diego’s defense.

UConn wouldn’t be the only team to do that. SDSU is not undefeated. They had a few clunkers during conference play. They didn’t win their preseason tournament.

But they did win their conference, their conference tournament, their regional (beat the overall #1 seed en route) and their final four game.

SDSU knows exactly who they are as a team and may just surprise some folks Monday.

P.s., Duke fans rooting against UConn: (1) Duke is not diminished if UConn wins another championship. They got the better of us more than once, already. Monday won’t improve our record against them. If Duke wants to separate itself from UConn, Duke needs to win more championship; (2) go Aztecs!

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Jordan Miller's stat line: 11 pts (4/10 FG, 3/3 FT), 10 reb, 3 ast, 1 blk. Pretty close! And, just like Laettner that night, Miller did not have as good a game tonight as Hurley.
    And who was their Marty Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    It doesn’t really matter because it’s not like Connecticut is going to be a dynasty or something. That just doesn’t happen anymore. Next year they’ll fall back to the pack just like UNC and Duke did this year.

With instant transfers and OAD it’s a crapshoot every year for EVERYONE from now on, including Duke. It’s simply the new reality of college basketball, like it or not. And I don’t.
    Why will they fall back? Their entire starting team can return.

What are the odds that a guy named “Pack” would forget to bring his shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    So to say FAU is untalented but the beat the team that beat us? Well, I guess we REALLY suck? That's just simple and pure logic.
    Ah, the Walton Belt theory. I'm not so sure I'd want to subscribe to that, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Give em credit man.
    On the other hand, I'm with you here.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    My stream dropped out with 47 seconds left to play. Anybody want to give me an idea what is happening? What's the score, who has the ball, how much time is left?
    &^%$ Hulu. Everything worked...except CBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    I haven’t really watched them but can someone succinctly explain for me how UConn got so good?
    like as a program overall? This year under hurley? Or in the tournament?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    &^%$ Hulu. Everything worked...except CBS.
    You can watch all of the F4 directly on www.ncaa.com with no provider login required. I discovered this last week and dropped YouTubeTV just before the price hike 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    I haven’t really watched them but can someone succinctly explain for me how UConn got so good?
    Is there any real doubt? It's clear that they, along with the Heels, are trading off each year as Satan's favorites. Both are sleazy and yet both seem to be rewarded quite regularly in spite of it.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    You can watch all of the F4 directly on www.ncaa.com with no provider login required. I discovered this last week and dropped YouTubeTV just before the price hike 8-)
    Yes, but I only had 40-something seconds to switch. Too late.

I know a lot of folks harbor resentment towards UConn for their past victories over Duke. They definitely made me miserable a few times. But I blame most of that on Calhoun, who was somewhat sketchy. I also had the pleasure of being at the 1990 "special" game where Laettner broke their hearts - not the same as the final four but still fun.

This is a likeable team. Other than one really bad stretch, they had a great, great, season - they were undefeated deep into the season - not sure why people fail to remember this. And it is Duke adjacent with Hurley as their coach, who seems like a good guy (#JerseyStrong). Not sure why some folks still feel the UConn hatred - seems like some are just looking for reasons to be angry and be dramatic.

I didn't see the first game live and have only watched minimal coverage but the winning shot reminded me a lot of the 1987 Keith Smart shot for Indiana, though from the opposite side. Smooth move and jumper.

I'm hoping for a good game Monday. Not too optimistic about it, but we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Why will they fall back? Their entire starting team can return.
    First of all, I don’t think they’re especially great. They have sone talent, but nothing particularly special. There is a reason they lost eight games during the two months prior to the NCAA tournament. Second, they have not exactly faced murderers’ row in this tournament, much like UNC last year. Third, repeating is infinitely more difficult than doing it for the first time. They’re about to get all kinds of attention during the off-season and all during next season that they were not getting this year. Most college basketball fans were hardly noticing them at all until midway through the NCAA tournament. Next season is going to be dramatically different in that regard. Fourth, getting fat and happy after winning a championship is much more the norm than the exception. It’s natural to lose a bit of your edge and desire and drive after you’ve reached the mountaintop.

For all these reasons and more I expect 2023-2024 Connecticut to fall back to the pack and be good, but not great.

First of all, I don’t think they’re especially great. They have sone talent, but nothing particularly special. There is a reason they lost eight games during the two months prior to the NCAA tournament. Second, they have not exactly faced murderers’ row in this tournament, much like UNC last year. Third, repeating is infinitely more difficult than doing it for the first time. They’re about to get all kinds of attention during the off-season and all during next season that they were not getting this year. Most college basketball fans were hardly noticing them at all until midway through the NCAA tournament. Next season is going to be dramatically different in that regard. Fourth, getting fat and happy after winning a championship is much more the norm than the exception. It’s natural to lose a bit of your edge and desire and drive after you’ve reached the mountaintop.

For all these reasons and more I expect 2023-2024 Connecticut to fall back to the pack and be good, but not great.
    They're #1 in effectively every computer ranking, and beat darling alabama by 15.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    They're #1 in effectively every computer ranking, and beat darling alabama by 15.
    Yep. UConn isn’t like UNC last year, which wasn’t that great but got a fairly easy bracket and got hot at the right time.

The question is how many of UConn’s players choose to go pro or transfer.

UConn has absolutely crushed all comers in the last three weeks. We don't gain anything by diminishing their accomplishments.

They might lose to SDSU, but all indications are otherwise.

Eh, I think they were pretty great this year, at least relative to the rest of college basketball. While they did lose 8 games, they were 0-4 in games decided by one possession. And all but one of their 8 losses were against good to very good teams: Marquette (2 seed) twice (once at Marquette, once at neutral site), Xavier (3 seed) twice, at Providence (11 seed), at Creighton (6 seed), Seton Hall (NIT). They only had two non-Q1 losses, and their only bad loss was still against a top-100 team (St John's).

They also blew out the overall #1 team Alabama on a neutral court. They did the same to 6 seed Iowa State. They blew out 2 seed Marquette at home. They were a top-5 team in the metrics going into the tournament, and were probably underseeded given their out of conference performance and close losses in conference. I think they should have been a 2 or a 3 seed.

They will likely lose at least Hawkins to the draft and will lose Calcaterra who is a grad transfer. If everyone else returns, though, they will likely be again a VERY good team.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Eh, I think they were pretty great this year, at least relative to the rest of college basketball. While they did lose 8 games, they were 0-4 in games decided by one possession.
    They have solved that issue - just get a bigger lead and there are no one possession games.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Eh, I think they were pretty great this year, at least relative to the rest of college basketball. While they did lose 8 games, they were 0-4 in games decided by one possession. And all but one of their 8 losses were against good to very good teams: Marquette (2 seed) twice (once at Marquette, once at neutral site), Xavier (3 seed) twice, at Providence (11 seed), at Creighton (6 seed), Seton Hall (NIT). They only had two non-Q1 losses, and their only bad loss was still against a top-100 team (St John's).

They also blew out the overall #1 team Alabama on a neutral court. They did the same to 6 seed Iowa State. They blew out 2 seed Marquette at home. They were a top-5 team in the metrics going into the tournament, and were probably underseeded given their out of conference performance and close losses in conference. I think they should have been a 2 or a 3 seed.

They will likely lose at least Hawkins to the draft and will lose Calcaterra who is a grad transfer. If everyone else returns, though, they will likely be again a VERY good team.
    hurley was getting a lot of heat from fans on his handling of one possession games. the lack of poise down the stretch in some of those games was incredible...and certainly part of that is spillover from how they lose in the postseason the past couple years, just completely folding down the stretch.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Is there any real doubt? It's clear that they, along with the Heels, are trading off each year as Satan's favorites. Both are sleazy and yet both seem to be rewarded quite regularly in spite of it.
    I don't get the perceived sleaze factor of UConn today. I'll grant you Calhoun was high on my list (and I don't think much of Geno either). But Calhoun left them 11 years ago, and it doesn't seem like there's been much fuel for the fire since, so why the continued hate? I like little Hurley, ever since he got his big brother back in the game at Wagner and then RI, and I have not heard of anything that makes him appear slimy to any degree. Maybe there is good reason for the continued anti-UConn bias that I am not aware of, but lacking that it just seems to smell of sour grapes to me.