• Florida Atlantic

7 10.61%
  • Miami

27 40.91%
  • Connecticut

27 40.91%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    You including radio listeners as well? It’ll never do as well as the famous Cheat championship in the 20s.
    But for the unc championship they promised free donuts for tuning in. That’s cheating to up the viewership

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Yea most of America was glued to its collective seat as sophomore forward Leaky Black led the Heels to victory.
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    I’m torn. I really don’t want UConn joining our five timers’ club. But I’m super happy for Danny Hurley.

It would be great to have the team Duke beat twice this season to win it.

But I love underdogs.
    I will also be happy for Danny... but really bummed that uconn wins another title. I followed Danny's path a bit after knowing about his father Bob's career and following Bobby's career, and i admit I was a bit annoyed that Danny took the uconn job... especially since I have been cheering for Danny, but can't stand uconn. Torn...

Danny's coaching at UConn gives a nice smelling shampoo to those mangy Huskies.

My main problem was with the vile Jim Calhoun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    First time since there were McDonald's All Americans in 1979, we have a FF that has ZERO McDonald's AAs.

Recruiting Top HS players is out, recruiting proven college players to transfer is in.

While I agree with you that using the portal to bring in proven, experienced players is going to be, or already is, an important part of building a top-tier roster, I don't think your point about McDonald's All-Americans not being in the Final Four is all that relevant.

It's true that none of them made the FF this year, but look at the list that made the Sweet 16 or even the Elite Eight, meaning they were very close to getting to the FF. For some of them, it was a bounce of the ball here or there and they'd have been there. They were part of very strong teams that made the second weekend of the tournament. That ain't nothing. There are so many that I think it indicates that your point is not a great one. And this list doesn't even count the Duke guys, Kansas, Kentucky etc that were also very strong teams this year that got bounced early. But here are the McDonald's AA's that did make at least the Sweet 16 this year:

Nick Smith, Arkansas
    Jerace Walker, Houston
    Brandon Miller, Alabama
    Julian Phillips, Tennessee
    Dillon Mitchell, Texas
    Amare Bailey, UCLA
    Adem Bona, UCLA
    Jaden Bradley, Alabama
    Jordan Walsh, Arkansas
    Artery Morris, Texas
    Anthony Black, Arkansas
    Nolan Hickman, Gonzaga
    Hunter Sallis, Gonzaga

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Miami will have to score at least 80 points to beat UConn but will probably end up in the low 60s. At least UConn plays an entertaining brand of basketball.
    Well the Canes just put 89 on Texas, and Texas is the #13 team in adjusted defensive efficiency per KenPom. UConn is slightly higher, at #11. Miami being the #5 team in the country in offense appears to be relevant . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Well the Canes just put 89 on Texas, and Texas is the #13 team in adjusted defensive efficiency per KenPom. UConn is slightly higher, at #11. Miami being the #5 team in the country in offense appears to be relevant . . .
    Gonzaga was #1 and couldn't do squat.

it will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    I might pick Miami to win it all, but man, UCONN has been just killing teams. They are playing at such a high level, I don’t know if the other three final four teams really can match them. I’m not a fan of UCONN( too many bad memories regarding their past games against Duke), but unless they just have a bad game, I see no way they will lose next weekend!
    Maybe this will be payback for them knocking off a Duke who had one of their best ever teams. Duke had a 32 game winning streak snapped by the Convicts and their refs. Yes, I'm still bitter about that. UCONN has the best team they've had in a long time and is probably the favorite to win it all. I hate to root against a Hurley, but I hope Miami wins the Championship.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Maybe this will be payback for them knocking off a Duke who had one of their best ever teams. Duke had a 32 game winning streak snapped by the Convicts and their refs. Yes, I'm still bitter about that. UCONN has the best team they've had in a long time and is probably the favorite to win it all. I hate to root against a Hurley, but I hope Miami wins the Championship.

GoDuke!
    Since 2000 only 4 conferences have won the tourney - so whoever wins Sat will take it.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Gonzaga was #1 and couldn't do squat.

it will be interesting.
    Miami’s guards are MUCH better than Gonzaga’s.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Miami’s guards are MUCH better than Gonzaga’s.
    and despite that, they haven't been able to put up offensive numbers as good as Gonzaga all year long, even when adjusting for defense.

if your argument is that Miami matches up better, I'll buy that. of your argument is that UConn can't stop a good offense, that's silly.

and despite that, they haven't been able to put up offensive numbers as good as Gonzaga all year long, even when adjusting for defense.

if your argument is that Miami matches up better, I'll buy that. of your argument is that UConn can't stop a good offense, that's silly.

UConn can't stop a good offense? Sorry, but when did I say that, or even intimate it? Please don't put words in my mouth, much less call me "silly" when I didn't say the thing in the first place.

Miami does match up better than did Gonzaga in the backcourt. It's underneath where they are likely to have problems, as Omier is going to have to battle both Sanogo and Clingan without a lot of help.

NCAA.com: NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee names game officials for 2023 Men's Final Four

The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee has approved the 11 game officials recommended by Chris Rastatter, the national coordinator of officiating, to work Saturday’s two national semifinal games and Monday’s national championship game. A three-person crew will work each Men’s Final Four game, while two officials will serve as the standby officials for all three contests.
    Jeff Anderson, West Henrietta, New York
    Roger Ayers, Roanoke, Virginia
    Ron Groover, Newnan, Georgia
    John Higgins, Omaha, Nebraska
    Keith Kimble, Arlington, Texas
    Kipp Kissinger, Omaha, Nebraska
    Terry Oglesby, Maryville, Missouri
    Mike Reed, Mount Shasta, California
    Doug Sirmons, Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Bert Smith, Florence, Kentucky
    Paul Szelc, Lawrence, Kansas

“The 2023 NCAA tournament officials have collectively done an exceptional job of officiating the tournament,” said Rastatter. “We are especially fortunate to have Kipp Kissinger working his second Men's Final Four. His decision-making ensured a Duke loss in this tournament to Tennessee, and also a loss earlier in the season to Virginia Tech. He are proud to honor him with the annual Dean Smith Award for his efforts.”

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    NCAA.com: NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee names game officials for 2023 Men's Final Four

Jeff Anderson, West Henrietta, New York
    Roger Ayers, Roanoke, Virginia
    Ron Groover, Newnan, Georgia
    John Higgins, Omaha, Nebraska
    Keith Kimble, Arlington, Texas
    Kipp Kissinger, Omaha, Nebraska
    Terry Oglesby, Maryville, Missouri
    Mike Reed, Mount Shasta, California
    Doug Sirmons, Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Bert Smith, Florence, Kentucky
    Paul Szelc, Lawrence, Kansas
    Not to mention Jeff Anderson, who despite having a long history of Final Four appearances was part of the crew at the infamous UVa game.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Not to mention Jeff Anderson, who despite having a long history of Final Four appearances was part of the crew at the infamous UVa game.
    If they didn't allow refs that made any mistakes, they wouldn't have anyone to call the Final Four.

Wong, Miller and Pack are a stronger backcourt than Strawther, Bolton and Hickman/Smith. Pack went from First Team All-Big 12 to the third best scorer in his own team's backcourt.

Gonzaga certainly has an excellent offense (this season and from year to year), but it usually doesn't translate to the NCAA Tournament quite so well and its overall efficiency this season had plenty to do with Timme averaging 21.2 points on 62.8 TS%. Unsurprisingly, 6 of their 8 lowest scoring games were at Texas, at Saint Mary's, vs. Purdue, vs. Michigan State, vs. Baylor and vs. UConn.

Nobody gets a trophy for scoring 120 points against Eastern Oregon (and I'm a huge Gonzaga defender).

Marquette's backcourt of Tyler Kolek and Kam Jones is solid but UConn hasn't dealt with a trio of guards like Isaiah Wong, Nigel Pack and Jordan Miller yet.

Miller should be able to attack Karaban relentlessly and while Hawkins and Jackson are good defenders, they're ill prepared to stop Miami's dribble drive attack where they can stop on a dime and take a mid range floater.

UConn was able to neutralize an anemic offense in Arkansas, a predictable offense in St. Mary's and exploit an athleticism advantage and guard edge vs the Zags.

A UConn blowout is possible but this Miami team is hard to put away. I expect a great game.

Norchad Omier needs to stay out of foul trouble though which will be key for the Canes.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    Marquette's backcourt of Tyler Kolek and Kam Jones is solid but UConn hasn't dealt with a trio of guards like Isaiah Wong, Nigel Pack and Jordan Miller yet.

Miller should be able to attack Karaban relentlessly and while Hawkins and Jackson are good defenders, they're ill prepared to stop Miami's dribble drive attack where they can stop on a dime and take a mid range floater.

UConn was able to neutralize an anemic offense in Arkansas, a predictable offense in St. Mary's and exploit an athleticism advantage and guard edge vs the Zags.

A UConn blowout is possible but this Miami team is hard to put away. I expect a great game.

Norchad Omier needs to stay out of foul trouble though which will be key for the Canes.
    I think the thing that will ultimately go in uconn's favor here is the rebounding. Miami is a mediocre-to-bad defensive rebounding team, and uconn#2 on the offensive glass.
    April 1

Interesting data here:

https://twitter.com/CBBAnalytics/sta...37784056561667

FsOlMF9WcAEyLaV.jpg

I'd say UConn played worse defenses on a whole, but their numbers are still impressive.

Interesting how many baseline midrange shots Miami takes.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

CBS Sports: Ranking every starter for the Final Four teams from No. 1-20

UConn: (1) Sanogo, (2) Hawkins, (14) Jackson, (15) Newton, (18) Karaban
    Miami: (3) Wong, (5) Miller, (6) Omier, (8) Pack, (17) Poplar
    FAU: (4) Davis, (10) Martin, (11) Goldin, (13) Boyd, (20) Greenlee
    SDSU: (7) Bradley, (9) Trammell, (12) Mensah, (16) Johnson, (19) Butler

Deadspin: Trio of UConn players will compete in the Final Four and maybe eat before the game

Those observing Ramadan aren’t allowed to eat from sunrise to sunset with some who partake in the festivities eating as early as 3 a.m. to not miss breakfast. Adama Sanogo, Hassan Diarra, and Samson Johnson all celebrate Ramadan and are following those dietary guidelines, which were in full effect for the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight, as it started on March 22.

Sunrise is slated for 7:11 a.m. on Saturday in Houston, more than 12 hours before tipoff against the Hurricanes. Sunset is scheduled for 7:40 p.m., nine minutes before tipoff.
    SI/Fan Nation: Christian Laettner Gives Miami's Jordan Miller Props

It was great that the former Blue Devil and NCAA Tournament legend gave a shout out to the current Cane, as well as supporting the ACC. The NCAA Tournament has been and continues to be a special opportunity for athletes to showcase their best efforts. That was a nice gesture by Laettner.
    Palm Beach Post: Vladislav Goldin gives Florida Atlantic basketball a post presence: 3 things to know

When Goldin came to the United States, he played for Putnam Science Academy in Northeast Connecticut. He was ranked second in the state in the recruiting Class of 2020.

Also on that team was Hassan Diarra, a guard on the UConn team that will also play for a spot in the Final Four.
    Sporting News: The intern: How Nathan Mensah's work with a wealth management company made San Diego State defense richer

In staying at SDSU, though, Mensah felt compelled to make some money to help out his family in Ghana. He is 24 and has three sisters and a grandmother back home. So the obvious solution was for him to find some sort of Name/Image/Likeness deal and play his fifth season with the Aztecs. Isn’t that what everyone’s doing now?

Well, maybe, but not those college athletes in the United States on a student visa. They are restricted from doing paid work save for three defined areas. One of those is “curricular practical training”, which means it must be germane to the student’s declared field of study and an established part of the school’s curriculum. When there is no government regulation involved, we simply call that an internship.