• Florida Atlantic

7 10.61%
  • Miami

27 40.91%
  • Connecticut

27 40.91%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Miami will have to score at least 80 points to beat UConn but will probably end up in the low 60s. At least UConn plays an entertaining brand of basketball.
    Yes, and they are well coached, but of course Miami is well coached as well.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Did I hear Dan Hurley say they hadn't lost a game outside conference play and added they play in the best conference in the nation?

GoDuke!
    Correct. They did not lose a non-conference game. Their main non-conference schedule was the Phil Knight tournament - they beat Oregon, Alabama and Iowa State. They also beat Oklahoma State at home and Florida on the road. They had a really bad stretch where they lost 5 of 6 starting New Year's Eve, then they largely righted the ship.

One can make a good argument that the Big East was the best conference this year. Sure, there was some degree of self-promotion there (which all of the coaches are doing this time of year, so I don't have any problem with that), but one can also make a legit argument in favor of that. I hope I am not now setting off a long thread of battling meaningless statistical metrics about which conference is best - I will trust my eye test and NCAA Tournament performance on this one...

I've got FAU vs U for title. I think FAU will just make more shots than SDSU and Miami will win b/c their experience and guard play.

FAU 74
    SDSU 68

Miami 83
    UCONN 81

Miami 77
    FAU 74

UConn has been running fools in this year's tourney like the 09 sheep squad. I became convinced during their sweet 16 game that its them and them easily.

Well, I guess for the teams other than UCONN...

It's over.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    I think:

SDSU over FAU.
    Miami over UConn.

SDSU is a defense wins angle. I question their ability to score at times, but they seem to be able to do enough. And even though FAU has gotten this far, I just don't have confidence they can keep it going. BTW, this could be the lowest-rated FF game in a long time.
    Miami over UConn is more emotional. Tough to ever pick UConn, and they have been rolling. Perhaps Larranaga's experience beats out Hurley's. Miami has just been playing so tough. It will be a battle with UConn. And I'm pretty sure the so-called experts will pick the winner of this game over the winner of the other game, regardess.

Miami over SDSU.

Again, somewhat emotional pulling for the ACC. But Miami is proving to have several weapons that get the job done. It may be an ugly game. People seem to doubt SDSU, but their defense is legit. Still, I picked Miami.

9F
    Do you think SDSU v Miami would be the least-watched national championship game ever? Sure, I would be watching, but I’m thinking about the fringe basketball fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    I've got FAU vs U for title. I think FAU will just make more shots than SDSU and Miami will win b/c their experience and guard play.

FAU 74
    SDSU 68

Miami 83
    UCONN 81

Miami 77
    FAU 74
    BigZ being BOLD on multiple threads this morning! 💪

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Do you think SDSU v Miami would be the least-watched national championship game ever? Sure, I would be watching, but I’m thinking about the fringe basketball fan.
    UCONN doesn't have some big national fanbase either. It's like that whatever matchup happens will be the least watched title ever.

UCONN doesn't have some big national fanbase either. It's like that whatever matchup happens will be the least watched title ever.
    I read this in Colin Cowherd's voice...

You SAY you want upsets, but the numbers DON'T LIE!!!

I'm gonna go be nauseous for awhile now.

But never underestimate the biggest backer and national influencer that UConn has: ESPN. That network loves the Huskies and, I believe, has expanded the national fanbase exponentially over the last 20 to 25 years. Of course it doesn’t hurt that the woman’s program has been so dominant for so long either.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    But never underestimate the biggest backer and national influencer that UConn has: ESPN. That network loves the Huskies and, I believe, has expanded the national fanbase exponentially over the last 20 to 25 years. Of course it doesn’t hurt that the woman’s program has been so dominant for so long either.
    They're

1) not as small as you'd think, given the name recognition and enormous success of the two programs over the past 30 years. They're currently the 9th most "favorite" team on kenpom, though that has a big selection bias and is subject to bandwagonning.

2) very good at travelling. Hordes would show up when the women played at UNC or Duke.

There are a lot of people that like sports in the northeast, a lot of wealthy people who live in connecticut, a lot of sports fans with a void of schools to cheer for, and no professional sports in connecticut. I'm not saying they have the following of large land grant schools, but there are a lot of factors that make drive a following.
    April 1

I hope Miami wins it all because we beat them twice, but I voted for UConn because they're playing at such a high level. They've won all 4 of their tourney games by double digits, including that brutal beatdown of Gonzaga. Miami is better than Zaga so I expect Miami/UConn will be a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I still think it will do better numbers than 1939 Oregon over Ohio State.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    You including radio listeners as well? It’ll never do as well as the famous Cheat championship in the 20s.

Well, I was at the 1939 Oregon v Ohio State game in a previous life, and Pattern Gymnasium on Northwestern’s campus was packed to the gills that day, my friend!

Not sure what the worldwide tv viewership numbers were, but it’s not really a fair comparison considering we have 8 freaking BILLION people on the planet now versus about 18,817 back then.

I believe FDR featured the game during his Fireside Chat that week. It totally blew away The War of the Worlds broadcast…

I heard on the radio , that out of over 2 million entries, there are 37 that have these 4 in their final four.

I wonder if any of the 37 entries have a child at each of the 4 schools lol

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    I have barely watched any of this tournament. Am i in the minority or am I right in thinking the ratings have to be awful? And will continue to get worse.
    I personally think you have missed out on some of the wildest NCAA moments ever. The rest of the US may agree, as the ratings for the tournament have been great. I haven't seen the S16/E8 ratings yet, but I am guessing they will also be huge.

https://twitter.com/MM_MBB_TV/status...25536698081285
    https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...sso_ott=vq9fqD
    https://www.bleachernation.com/news/...ough-the-roof/

It's possible the FF numbers may be down, but I don't think they will be awful. Cinderella stories work. Many people get tired of the usual teams.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    I personally think you have missed out on some of the wildest NCAA moments ever. The rest of the US may agree, as the ratings for the tournament have been great. I haven't seen the S16/E8 ratings yet, but I am guessing they will also be huge.

https://twitter.com/MM_MBB_TV/status...25536698081285
    https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...sso_ott=vq9fqD
    https://www.bleachernation.com/news/...ough-the-roof/

It's possible the FF numbers may be down, but I don't think they will be awful. Cinderella stories work. Many people get tired of the usual teams.

9F
    Also, the March Madness bracket draws people in. I expect the ratings will be just fine -- lower, of course, than if Duke were playing -- but I am not objective.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    You including radio listeners as well? It’ll never do as well as the famous Cheat championship in the 20s.
    Yea most of America was glued to its collective seat as sophomore forward Leaky Black led the Heels to victory.