Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    ^ I agree on your take on the Kerry audition...I think she's too cagey to have done that, but, hey, sometimes people fall short in the self awareness department.

Question: when will Kendall Roy stop wearing that buffoonish hat?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

I have really enjoyed it, too. Of course, as others have said, anything with Tom and Greg is tremendous. But, I also think the scene with Brian Cox and his driver Colin at the bar was really intense, as was the Shiv and Tom convo at their apartment, and I loved Logan's crazy speech in the newsroom. Anything can happen.
    I found it fascinating that Logan seemed more honest and sincere with Colin than he ever has with any other character on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I found it fascinating that Logan seemed more honest and sincere with Colin than he ever has with any other character on the show.
    good point. It's difficult to have an honest conversation with the Three Idiots because they don't seem to be based in reality...an ongoing kabuki dance...

The catch 22 of Logan - he surrounds himself with sycophants, so everyone he interacts with is terrified of him and does anything they can to stay in his good graces (ie Tom feeling out the answer Logan wants on Kerry as an anchor), yet he despises sycophants.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    good point. It's difficult to have an honest conversation with the Three Idiots because they don't seem to be based in reality...an ongoing kabuki dance...
    I have to say - the show does a good job of vacillating between helping you realize how horrible Logan is to his kids, and the almost immediately showing how horrible and entitled the kids themselves are.

Here's my submission for "What would the Roy children have sung at Karaoke?"

For the sake of my argument, let's peg their ages as follows...Kendall is 40, Roman is 36, Shiv is 34. That makes them all 80s babies.

Many people's music tastes codify in their youth and freeze once they are out of college. As such, I think their karaoke choice would be songs that were popular in the 90s/early 2000s.

Kendall - due to his penchant for hip hop and his alignment with all that is cool and hip, would probably stay at home in NYC with Jay Z and I'll say he would choose "99 Problems" or "Big Pimpin".

Roman is a wild card. I think beneath all of his snark lies a seething cauldron. I see him with that White Stripes energy and "I just don't know what to do with Myself", would allow him to vacillate between sardonic and ragefull.

When I think of Shiv, I think of the pop queens that would have been in her wheelhouse. When it comes to her relationship with her Dad, a really appropriate choice would be TLC's "Waterfalls" (I see you bundabergdevil's avatar). I could see her being big into Janet Jackson or Brittney, but the Roy's usually aspire to royalty and the Pop Queen a few years her senior, Beyonce, would probably have been an icon she admired (and probably has met). So let's go with "Naughty Girl".

As for Logan, I love Jason's "I left my heart..." choice. I could see that. My initial instinct is maybe too on the nose, but "My Way" by the other Chairman of the Board would be a logical choice.

Here's my submission for "What would the Roy children have sung at Karaoke?"

For the sake of my argument, let's peg their ages as follows...Kendall is 40, Roman is 36, Shiv is 34. That makes them all 80s babies.

Many people's music tastes codify in their youth and freeze once they are out of college. As such, I think their karaoke choice would be songs that were popular in the 90s/early 2000s.

Kendall - due to his penchant for hip hop and his alignment with all that is cool and hip, would probably stay at home in NYC with Jay Z and I'll say he would choose "99 Problems" or "Big Pimpin".

Roman is a wild card. I think beneath all of his snark lies a seething cauldron. I see him with that White Stripes energy and "I just don't know what to do with Myself", would allow him to vacillate between sardonic and ragefull.

When I think of Shiv, I think of the pop queens that would have been in her wheelhouse. When it comes to her relationship with her Dad, a really appropriate choice would be TLC's "Waterfalls" (I see you bundabergdevil's avatar). I could see her being big into Janet Jackson or Brittney, but the Roy's usually aspire to royalty and the Pop Queen a few years her senior, Beyonce, would probably have been an icon she admired (and probably has met). So let's go with "Naughty Girl".

As for Logan, I love Jason's "I left my heart..." choice. I could see that. My initial instinct is maybe too on the nose, but "My Way" by the other Chairman of the Board would be a logical choice.
    These are perfect and I think wins the Succession thread!

Oh, "My Way" was the first song that came to mind but it felt a little too obvious. "That's Life" would also be a good choice for Logan. I suppose it is possible he is a bit too young to be all about Sinatra, which could make him more like a late-50s/early-60s music fan... leading to him belting out "Ring of Fire."
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Oh, "My Way" was the first song that came to mind but it felt a little too obvious. "That's Life" would also be a good choice for Logan. I suppose it is possible he is a bit too young to be all about Sinatra, which could make him more like a late-50s/early-60s music fan... leading to him belting out "Ring of Fire."
    Logan singing Ring of Fire? That would be hilarious. I’m in!

Well, da-yum.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    They are serious about it being the last season.

Didn't see that coming.

Devastating and a masterclass in acting. Those kids are taking all the awards at the Emmys.

It was the ending Logan probably knew he was getting and what he wanted. Wheeling and dealing and in it right up until his damn heart just gave up on him. While every one of us might say, "no way I would pick a business deal over my son's wedding," Logan knew where he belonged that day and I doubt he had one regret when he clutched his chest in the bathroom of an airplane.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ...I doubt he had one regret when he clutched his chest in the bathroom of an airplane.
    If true he was a very shallow individual. He didn't have a single healthy relationship left - personal or professional - when he passed. His kids both hated him and craved his approval, his gf was a gold digger and he had just fired the person who had been by his side through it all. Sad man.

Fairly quiet on this thread today. I'm rather surprised.

What an intense episode.

Even with the health issues in the pilot, the repeated hints of his failing vitality, and the NAME OF THE FRIGGIN SHOW, it managed to be a surprising gut punch last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    If true he was a very shallow individual. He didn't have a single healthy relationship left - personal or professional - when he passed. His kids both hated him and craved his approval, his gf was a gold digger and he had just fired the person who had been by his side through it all. Sad man.
    Yeah, but that is who Logan was.

Everyone is rightly falling all over themselves about the ridiculous acting in last night's episode, but I wanted to shout out at least one really honest and perfect moment in the script. When Ken is saying goodbye to his father and he says, "I love you... I can't forgive you, but I love you." Whew... some powerful, honest stuff there. You can watch it here.

“What we do today will always be what we did the day our father died.” damn, Kendall

all my complaining last week lead to this wonderful episode. Intense, sad, difficult to watch, extremely (almost too) realistic, somehow funny at times. A masterclass in acting and script writing.

Not the direction I thought they would go so early in the season. I was hoping Logan would be the last man standing. However, my GF and i were talking last week about how although we love the show, we don't really know what we should be rooting for or hoping to see as it winds down. This was not shaping up like BB/BCS or Sopranos. After last night, the writers completely flipped everything upside down and gave these storylines new life (no pun intended). Nicely done.

I guess it begs the question: how would you like this show to end? We are still a ways away but it seems like the structure is now in place for the home stretch.

That was absolutely the right episode at the right time. Wow! Good for the show runners! Played perfectly, too.

Fairly quiet on this thread today. I'm rather surprised.

What an intense episode.
    We are all in shock — just like Kendall, Shiv, and Roman. 😮