Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am not so kind. I will discuss now!!

The whole family ending up in a karaoke bar... I did not have that on my bingo card. I just wish Logan had stood up and belted, "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" or something like that.

Connor... whew, what a sad existence he lives. Was there anyone at his rehearsal dinner at all before his thee younger siblings showed up like 2 hours late? How much of a heel is Logan that he wasn't even at his oldest son's rehearsal dinner?!?! And no one seems to care that the wedding is tomorrow. I doubt Logan even shows up. That speech about not needing love being his superpower was Emmy-award winning stuff from Alan Ruck. Meanwhile, I hope all of you caught Roman sliding in jokes left and right about Willa being paid to be Connor's wife... that was cold!

So, help me understand what happened with Kendall toward the back half of the ep. He gets a call from Mattson who says, "if you guys ask for more, I am going to walk," and it sure sounds like Mattson means it. Then, Ken gets a text from Stewie with some charts of some compatibles (really? So the Roy family didn't do any industry comps when thinking about selling their company?!?!) and promptly goes back inside to announce that he wants to push Mattson for more money. Huh? Are we supposed to think he did not believe Mattson's threat or is he trying to scuttle the deal?

I'm not really feeling why the siblings are so gung ho to throw a wrench in the deal. Ken said it could mean an extra $100 mil to each of them but they are due to get a couple bill each from the sale, right? How does $100 mil really move the needle for them? What's more, if the deal gets put on hold, it is going to make it really tough for them to purchase Pierce. Seems like they are putting their bigger deal in jeopardy just so they can squeeze a little bit more out of Mattson.

So, the whole "lets push for more money" thing started with Shiv, right? We saw her call Sandi (not to be confused with her father, Sandy) and suggest that they partner up to push Mattson. Is Shiv gunning to shut down the whole deal?

Lastly, while it made for some nice comedic moments, I can't believe that Kerry is so foolish as to think she is ready to be an anchor on ATN. I feel like we have been given the impression that Kerry is smart and manipulative and has managed to get herself pretty far up the food chain at Royco. So how could she be so lacking in self-awareness that her audition tape is that hysterically bad? And I would think anything that takes her away from Roy's side is a bad move at this point because being close to him is her strongest trump card.
    Ken wants to screw his dad, everything else be damned. He knows Mattson will walk and doesn't care. He is blinded by his intense desire to submarine pops at all costs.

This show is becoming a caricature of itself. Specifically the scenes and plot lines with the children. I’m losing interest and I really loved this show.

The Greg-Tom stuff remains hilarious and I still enjoy all the Logan scenes but the kids utter stupidity and total “douchiness” is losing its appeal. Them in the dive bar was just dumb and so unbelievably out of of touch… even for entitled children of billionaires.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I am not so kind. I will discuss now!!

The whole family ending up in a karaoke bar... I did not have that on my bingo card. I just wish Logan had stood up and belted, "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" or something like that.

Connor... whew, what a sad existence he lives. Was there anyone at his rehearsal dinner at all before his thee younger siblings showed up like 2 hours late? How much of a heel is Logan that he wasn't even at his oldest son's rehearsal dinner?!?! And no one seems to care that the wedding is tomorrow. I doubt Logan even shows up. That speech about not needing love being his superpower was Emmy-award winning stuff from Alan Ruck. Meanwhile, I hope all of you caught Roman sliding in jokes left and right about Willa being paid to be Connor's wife... that was cold!

So, help me understand what happened with Kendall toward the back half of the ep. He gets a call from Mattson who says, "if you guys ask for more, I am going to walk," and it sure sounds like Mattson means it. Then, Ken gets a text from Stewie with some charts of some compatibles (really? So the Roy family didn't do any industry comps when thinking about selling their company?!?!) and promptly goes back inside to announce that he wants to push Mattson for more money. Huh? Are we supposed to think he did not believe Mattson's threat or is he trying to scuttle the deal?

I'm not really feeling why the siblings are so gung ho to throw a wrench in the deal. Ken said it could mean an extra $100 mil to each of them but they are due to get a couple bill each from the sale, right? How does $100 mil really move the needle for them? What's more, if the deal gets put on hold, it is going to make it really tough for them to purchase Pierce. Seems like they are putting their bigger deal in jeopardy just so they can squeeze a little bit more out of Mattson.

So, the whole "lets push for more money" thing started with Shiv, right? We saw her call Sandi (not to be confused with her father, Sandy) and suggest that they partner up to push Mattson. Is Shiv gunning to shut down the whole deal?

Lastly, while it made for some nice comedic moments, I can't believe that Kerry is so foolish as to think she is ready to be an anchor on ATN. I feel like we have been given the impression that Kerry is smart and manipulative and has managed to get herself pretty far up the food chain at Royco. So how could she be so lacking in self-awareness that her audition tape is that hysterically bad? And I would think anything that takes her away from Roy's side is a bad move at this point because being close to him is her strongest trump card.
    Dunning Kruger effect. Kerry is good at what she does do for the company so why wouldn't she also be a good anchor? The tape was both hilarious and exactly what I would expect from someone who thinks "I've watched all these anchor bimbos for years, I know how to do it" who has never actually done it. But also - a fantastic bit of acting by Dagmara Dominczyk. It's hard to make yourself look bad at something you are good at, and Dagmara Dominczyk.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    This show is becoming a caricature of itself. Specifically the scenes and plot lines with the children. I’m losing interest and I really loved this show.

The Greg-Tom stuff remains hilarious and I still enjoy all the Logan scenes but the kids utter stupidity and total “douchiness” is losing its appeal. Them in the dive bar was just dumb and so unbelievably out of of touch… even for entitled children of billionaires.
    I’m coming around to this take. The children went from being super interesting to being a little overwrought at this point. Logan has always been singular. Tom and Greg are still funny but at this point the best show would be Logan going up against his match. I hope Mattsin is that.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I’m coming around to this take. The children went from being super interesting to being a little overwrought at this point. Logan has always been singular. Tom and Greg are still funny but at this point the best show would be Logan going up against his match. I hope Mattsin is that.
    Logan is the ultimate no-win situation. He demands total loyalty and fealty, but once someone caves to him he loses all respect for them. And that is part of the reason he can’t find a “worthy” successor.

I also don’t understand the kids motivation at all unless once of them thinks they might actually someday win their dad’s favor and take the reins. Last season Kendall was literally begging to be bought out and Logan wouldn’t let him. Now he’s scuttling the sale? Doesn’t make sense.

Roman makes me laugh out loud at least 3 or 4 times during every episode. His comment to Connor about Willa after she had literally run away from him was priceless: “Just toss her another 10 grand or a snowmobile and some teeth whitening vouchers”, and she’ll be back.

The guy is an absolute clown, but a comedic genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Dunning Kruger effect. Kerry is good at what she does do for the company so why wouldn't she also be a good anchor? The tape was both hilarious and exactly what I would expect from someone who thinks "I've watched all these anchor bimbos for years, I know how to do it" who has never actually done it. But also - a fantastic bit of acting by Dagmara Dominczyk. It's hard to make yourself look bad at something you are good at, and Dagmara Dominczyk.
    I disagree. While her acting is great I thought it was lazy writing to have her main flaw be her repeatedly stumbling over her words. A person of her intelligence would have no problem reading a prompter. Much more likely issue would be that she just did not come across well on camera. Some people come off flat, some shrill, some nervous, etc. Or else the camera just doesn’t like them aesthetically despite the person being attractive in real life. So I could buy the “bendy arms” critique but not them showing her stuttering and misreading of copy. And then being unaware that flubbing lines was a major problem? Lazy writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I disagree. While her acting is great I thought it was lazy writing to have her main flaw be her repeatedly stumbling over her words. A person of her intelligence would have no problem reading a prompter. Much more likely issue would be that she just did not come across well on camera. Some people come off flat, some shrill, some nervous, etc. Or else the camera just doesn’t like them aesthetically despite the person being attractive in real life. So I could buy the “bendy arms” critique but not them showing her stuttering and misreading of copy. And then being unaware that flubbing lines was a major problem? Lazy writing.
    Sure, lazy writing, brilliantly delivered by the actor. Dagmara Dominczyk does come across well on camera until the script asks her not to and then she doesn't.

Also - have you ever tried to read a prompter out loud in real time with cameras on you? Of course any intelligent person would have no problems reading a prompter - delivering what they read as smoothly as the best anchors do takes practice. I think that was actually the writers getting it right.

Brilliant acting can save bad writing - not every time but often - just look at this year's academy awards, Everything, Everywhere, All at Once isn't a great script. In the hands of lesser actors, that movie drops like a stone.

Have you ever been at a read through for a play on the first day of rehearsal? Great actors stumble over words the first time through all the time. Getting it right is what rehearsal is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Sure, lazy writing, brilliantly delivered by the actor. Dagmara Dominczyk does come across well on camera until the script asks her not to and then she doesn't.

Also - have you ever tried to read a prompter out loud in real time with cameras on you? Of course any intelligent person would have no problems reading a prompter - delivering what they read as smoothly as the best anchors do takes practice. I think that was actually the writers getting it right.

Brilliant acting can save bad writing - not every time but often - just look at this year's academy awards, Everything, Everywhere, All at Once isn't a great script. In the hands of lesser actors, that movie drops like a stone.

Have you ever been at a read through for a play on the first day of rehearsal? Great actors stumble over words the first time through all the time. Getting it right is what rehearsal is for.
    As someone who has worked in TV news for 3+ decades, let me tell you that BD is 100% right. Reading a prompter is easy, but making those words sound like natural conversation when they come out of your mouth is really, really hard. I have seen really smart people look like glass-eyed fools when reading a prompter.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

As someone who has worked in TV news for 3+ decades, let me tell you that BD is 100% right. Reading a prompter is easy, but making those words sound like natural conversation when they come out of your mouth is really, really hard. I have seen really smart people look like glass-eyed fools when reading a prompter.
    I agree with you and BD that looking natural while reading a prompter is a difficult skill to master —because I’m sure it is anything but natural. So it would have made sense to me if her main issue was coming off wooden or looking glassy-eyed. But as portrayed her most obvious issue was stumbling on words and having to stop and repeat them. That just seemed like a lazy way of showing her to be not good and didn’t ring true to me.

And BD I don’t think table readings are the same as anchor tryouts. I’ve seen table readings and unlike an auditions the main goal isn’t performance. But when Kerry’s whole goal and focus is to read a prompter I would expect her to be able to do that.

But this is a small nitpick (is that redundantly redundant?) on my part and I understand YMMV.

This was Kerry’s audition tape - why would she send in an audition tape with her stumbling over every 5th word?

I agree, lazy writing. I am very curious to see where they go in episode 3 because the first two episodes of the final season have been lackluster.

The major succession plot line is becoming more and more absurd at this point.

I guess I'm in the minority. I'm absolutely all in with this season. The kids are reverting back to their natural states. Connor is proving just as tragic as the other siblings. Logan made a half-hearted effort to apologize, though he clearly wasn't sure what for.

Kendall has a trick up his sleeve. Roman is teetering. Shiv looks lost and without a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority. I'm absolutely all in with this season. The kids are reverting back to their natural states. Connor is proving just as tragic as the other siblings. Logan made a half-hearted effort to apologize, though he clearly wasn't sure what for.

Kendall has a trick up his sleeve. Roman is teetering. Shiv looks lost and without a plan.
    As I mentioned before - despite my objections I'm enjoying this season. Despite finding some of the characters' plots implausible I could happily watch this cast interact for years.

I agree with you and BD that looking natural while reading a prompter is a difficult skill to master —because I’m sure it is anything but natural. So it would have made sense to me if her main issue was coming off wooden or looking glassy-eyed. But as portrayed her most obvious issue was stumbling on words and having to stop and repeat them. That just seemed like a lazy way of showing her to be not good and didn’t ring true to me.

And BD I don’t think table readings are the same as anchor tryouts. I’ve seen table readings and unlike an auditions the main goal isn’t performance. But when Kerry’s whole goal and focus is to read a prompter I would expect her to be able to do that.

But this is a small nitpick (is that redundantly redundant?) on my part and I understand YMMV.
    We started on this tangent because I praised Ms. Dominczyk's acting skills. Everything any of the rest of you have said have treated the audition tape as though it was real. I really hope you can appreciate how amazing that is. It's a small piece of acting, something if she hadn't delivered the performance she did probably would have been handled with voice only. You would have heard people listening to her on the laptop instead of seeing the tape. That would have been enough to get the point across but when Ms. Dominczyk was presented with the direction to "look awkward" at the anchor desk she took that direction and absolutely killed it.

Looking natural on camera is something actors have to be able to do if they want to have any career in film or television. Many very good stage actors can't do it. (Some film and TV actors aren't good on stage, but I digress.) We know the Ms. Dominczyk has that skill because of course does, when she's Kerry, Logan's assistant, she's natural. I maintain that making yourself look believably bad at something you are actually very good at is really, really hard. The easy choice would have been to appear glassy-eyed and wooden - she did something else and it was brilliant. Serious respect.

I agree, lazy writing. I am very curious to see where they go in episode 3 because the first two episodes of the final season have been lackluster.
    I thought the first episode was really entertaining and intense, while the second one was mostly the opposite; it was unfocused.

Hoping for episode 3 to bring things back.

Logan is doing what Logan does, looking to (once again) divide and conquer...just as he once told Shiv she would be his successor, now he's cooing at Roman who ought to know (and may well) what Logan is up to. I'm enjoying it as well. But Cousin Greg doesn't really have the feel yet for HR work.

Concerning how tough it is to be an on air personality: we have a similar thing up here, a woman on public radio who is a learning the announcing trade but is kind of lost. Her main faux pas is announcing everything in a perky kind of sing song tone, which is fine when talking about the first robins of the season being seen, but far less appropriate when talking about two people killed in a car wreck...gotta learn to do somber as well as perky I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Logan is doing what Logan does, looking to (once again) divide and conquer...just as he once told Shiv she would be his successor, now he's cooing at Roman who ought to know (and may well) what Logan is up to. I'm enjoying it as well. But Cousin Greg doesn't really have the feel yet for HR work.

Concerning how tough it is to be an on air personality: we have a similar thing up here, a woman on public radio who is a learning the announcing trade but is kind of lost. Her main faux pas is announcing everything in a perky kind of sing song tone, which is fine when talking about the first robins of the season being seen, but far less appropriate when talking about two people killed in a car wreck...gotta learn to do somber as well as perky I guess.
    Cousin Greg giving self-affirmaitions after telling Kerry she had floppy TV arms and hearing her response of "I'll pull you apart like string cheese" was peak Greg.

If you hear me in my office muttering "I did the job, I did the job," I'm channeling my inner Greg.

Cousin Greg giving self-affirmaitions after telling Kerry she had floppy TV arms and hearing her response of "I'll pull you apart like string cheese" was peak Greg.

If you hear me in my office muttering "I did the job, I did the job," I'm channeling my inner Greg.
    We still don't know what (if anything) Tom is doing for Greg vis a vis his promise of getting in "at the bottom of the top" but it's fun when he sends him out on an errand.

We still don't know what (if anything) Tom is doing for Greg vis a vis his promise of getting in "at the bottom of the top" but it's fun when he sends him out on an errand.
    Tom is very quick to volunteer for unpleasant tasks and then immediately send them to Greg.

If Greg can actually get his own staff under him, he can employ these same tactics.

I also can't tell if Logan is starting to respect the fact that Greg is the only person who doesn't blow smoke up his skirt. I don't know if Logan sees it as endearing sincerity or as a complete inability to read the room.

I keep hearing theories that Tom is an FBI informant, which I would see as a very satisfying twist in this last season.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I feel like Kendall has gotten dumber season by season. He seemed halfway competent in Season 1.
    I had not really thought about it when I was lamenting the foolish overpay by the offspring, but I guess we are supposed to think of the kids as incompetent fools.
    Kendall has been beleaguered by addiction and depression throughout the show. Ken has seemed competent and smart a few times, but mostly flounders around trying look cooler than he actually is. Even going back to episode 1, when he was supposed to be buying that website or content creator or whatever that was, he seemed in over his head.
    Shiv seemed like the most adept and smartest member of the family in season one, but has steadily gone downhill since then. I've seen little from her lately to indicate she has real business smarts. She should probably go back to Democratic politics. Her treatment of Tom last season only added to the audience resentment of her.
    I agree with this take. I think Kendall and Shiv were portrayed as much more competent in Season 1. While their achilles heel will always be their desire for Logan's affection, and that makes them do crazy stuff, the show creators have really pushed their feigned competence/practical incompetence to some absurdist levels.

they should just take their what, 5% stake in the company, and go find a nice place to live and not worry about destroying any other companies.
    Ah, but then they would be rich but irrelevant and that, it seems, for them, is a fate worse than being poor.

No doubt, Imagine how fun it would be to just try and pick which song each of them would choose to sing. That might be a fun offshoot of this thread. Of the top of my head, I bet Kendall would wonder why his "L to the OG" song wasn't available and then start asking the business owner if he could somehow make it happen like, right then.

While I appreciate the debate about the Kerry audition, I agree that it felt unrealistic simply because Kerry seems like such a schemer that she would never leave herself exposed like that. She would have had a private coach working with her and honing her chops until they were good enough to ace the audition.

Them in the dive bar was just dumb and so unbelievably out of of touch… even for entitled children of billionaires.
    I don't know, I could see that happening in NY where sometimes stuff like that actually happens.

I guess I'm in the minority. I'm absolutely all in with this season.
    I have really enjoyed it, too. Of course, as others have said, anything with Tom and Greg is tremendous. But, I also think the scene with Brian Cox and his driver Colin at the bar was really intense, as was the Shiv and Tom convo at their apartment, and I loved Logan's crazy speech in the newsroom. Anything can happen.