Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    And the Oscar for best use of a Taylor Swift song in a Succession montage goes to... https://twitter.com/JasonDukeEvans/s...48881807220737
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Meanwhile, this morning's paper refers to the end of "board room machinations," none of which we've seen, frankly. Will the board make an appearance or continue napping while the not serious people eliminate themselves one by one? Does Gerri lurk?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Meanwhile, this morning's paper refers to the end of "board room machinations," none of which we've seen, frankly. Will the board make an appearance or continue napping while the not serious people eliminate themselves one by one? Does Gerri lurk?
    I'll say one last time - Gerri will be the decider, one way or another. Will definitely be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I get the impression that the board has been content to spend the last week watching the children play their little games of alliances and backstabbing, knowing that eventually it will sort itself out.

My predictions from a few weeks ago were-

1) Gerri plays the deciding role - I have no idea what her lean will be. Until last week I would have said she crucifies Roman, but while his breakdown last week probably cost him points with everyone else, I think it earned him some sympathy from Gerri.

2) Greg is asked to fire Tom. Tom has risen and fallen a lot to get to where he is. But the Shiv seems ready (again) to cut him loose for good and the brothers are eager to comply.

Tom has spent all season trying to keep his head above water and looking for a lifeboat. It would be satisfying for that to fail at the hands of the person who has had thrown water bottles at, used as a footrest, and berated for 4 seasons.

It's just unfortunate that we really don't know exactly how much stock everyone owns...keeping that info from us increases the writers' flexibility, which is nice for them. Who votes Logan's stock? What % is it? I too would imagine Gerri has a good shot, what with her being an adult and all..

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It's just unfortunate that we really don't know exactly how much stock everyone owns...keeping that info from us increases the writers' flexibility, which is nice for them. Who votes Logan's stock? What % is it? I too would imagine Gerri has a good shot, what with her being an adult and all..
    Here's an imperfect but pretty thorough description of the structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Here's an imperfect but pretty thorough description of the structure.
    Thank you for this link

My career has been spent financing mergers and buyouts, so I've had no issues following the various machinations in a broad sense, but some of the details in the link have been tough to divine

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Justin Kirk, the actor who plays Mencken, is too good looking to be believed as the particular brand of ideologue the show is putting forth. I buy him as a sociopath, but not as an ideologue. Perhaps that's what the show intends, sociopath not ideologue. If so though, they haven't made that clear enough.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Thank you for this link

My career has been spent financing mergers and buyouts, so I've had no issues following the various machinations in a broad sense, but some of the details in the link have been tough to divine
    I suspect a lot of the specifics in that article are conjecture. And I do sort of appreciate that the show doesn't get bogged down in details trying to explain all the permutations. It just sketches the picture and let's the drama unfold.

I suspect a lot of the specifics in that article are conjecture. And I do sort of appreciate that the show doesn't get bogged down in details trying to explain all the permutations. It just sketches the picture and let's the drama unfold.
    yes, I think it is a smart device to not get specific...the lack of evident board involvement is illogical, but why mess up a great story? I look forward to some hard landings.

Agreed on all counts. FT did a good job of connecting various dots, but the whole picture does remain vague.

And FWIW, I fully appreciate the show not getting bogged down in the details, too. I think it would likely detract from the drama. But as an industry nerd, I still appreciate the efforts of FT on this as well.

I’m not sure why it’s particularly important who becomes the next CEO. It’s just a temporary position, anyway. They could easily be gone within a year. 🤷

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’m not sure why it’s particularly important who becomes the next CEO. It’s just a temporary position, anyway. They could easily be gone within a year. 🤷
    You mean I’ve watched this entire show for nothing?! 😱

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I hear Larry Bird is making a cameo in the finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    You mean I’ve watched this entire show for nothing?! 😱
    Absolutely not! Lol.

It’s been a fabulous show — one of the best ever, in some ways. It’s just the whole succession aspect is kind of pointless for a couple of reasons. The first being that becoming CEO of a corporation is often tenuous at best. Second, this is the last episode, so regardless of who succeeds in said “succession” we won’t get to see much of the results of that.

We needed a fifth season. 😞

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I hear Larry Bird is making a cameo in the finale.
    What??! Okay, that’s it! I’m cutting short the vacation at the Omni Homestead and heading to the nearest tv that has HBO, and….….rats, I’m in the middle of nowhere.

Loved it.

I binged the entire series over the last 3 weeks and timed it so that I'd be able to watch the finale tonight. I've been reading this thread as I made my way through Season 4.

I was excited to see all the commentary tonight ... and there's nothing!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I binged the entire series over the last 3 weeks and timed it so that I'd be able to watch the finale tonight. I've been reading this thread as I made my way through Season 4.

I was excited to see all the commentary tonight ... and there's nothing!
    I find a lot of folks wait until Monday to post their thoughts.

Loved it.
    Same. Perfect ending. Brilliant writing always but particularly in this finale.

Very nicely done.