Recruiting, DIII, Carolina: reading

William Rhoden wrote a couple of articles about recruiting in 2016/17. The focus was on how high school students use basketball to gain access to college. He talked to coaches, players, and families. One focus of the NY Times magazine article was Will Ingram, a 6’0” guy who ended up playing modest minutes at a DIII school and now works in finance.

The 2nd article more explicitly contrasted Will Ingram’s process from his younger brother’s process. At the time, the older brother was about to enter Middlebury and the younger brother was a 6’5” freshman who was already seen as a high major recruit. He became a 5 star and may be the only McDonald’s All American whose dad owns McDonald’s restaurants.

The dad seems like quite a hero, and the son, Harrison Ingram, will be one of the very Carolina players I’ll root for, at least in most of his games.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/s...academics.html

https://andscape.com/features/a-tale...ebury-college/

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    William Rhoden wrote a couple of articles about recruiting in 2016/17. The focus was on how high school students use basketball to gain access to college. He talked to coaches, players, and families. One focus of the NY Times magazine article was Will Ingram, a 6’0” guy who ended up playing modest minutes at a DIII school and now works in finance.

The 2nd article more explicitly contrasted Will Ingram’s process from his younger brother’s process. At the time, the older brother was about to enter Middlebury and the younger brother was a 6’5” freshman who was already seen as a high major recruit. He became a 5 star and may be the only McDonald’s All American whose dad owns McDonald’s restaurants.

The dad seems like quite a hero, and the son, Harrison Ingram, will be one of the very Carolina players I’ll root for, at least in most of his games.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/20/s...academics.html

https://andscape.com/features/a-tale...ebury-college/
    Great articles. Thanks for sharing. Nice to read about kids and families who are realistic about the process and are using it for their benefit rather than being used. I have sensed that Blakes, while playing at a much higher level than Will Ingram, is another young man who recognizes this and is taking advantage of the potential value of a Duke degree and membership in the Brotherhood, even if he might have played more elsewhere. He is finishing up in three years and then can potentially go somewhere else to get more PT for his final year while also having a Duke degree for the rest of his life.

I'm with everyone else in cracking UNC jokes but bottom line is that it is a very well-respected academic school in corporate America. I'm guessing the Ingram's asked a lot of questions about past academic lapses. Just because a number of UNC athletes took advantage of academic shortcuts doesn't mean they all did, and it sounds like Harrison Ingram will be one who shows up for class. Given his pedigree, I'm guessing Wojcik will as well.

As the sage Al McGuire always told his players, "Use basketball. Don't let basketball use you."

Still applies today, perhaps even moreso.