Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    UCLA’s Jaylen Clark has declared, but is not giving up his college eligibility just yet. The 6’5” Clark really flew under the national radar for much of this season, but he did average 13 points and six rebounds in addition to being one of the top defensive wings in the nation. Of course, he is just coming off
    a torn Achilles, which makes his decision pretty tricky. Clark was a really important player for UCLA, and I believe that if he had been healthy, along with center Aden Bona being available to play, UCLA would have had a good chance to beat not only Gonzaga, but also UConn, and they’d be in Houston right now.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Similarly, Tosan Evbuomwan, who just took Princeton to the Sweet 16 and was named to the South Region All-Tournament Team, is a senior with at least one remaining year of eligibility, possibly two. He could theoretically declare for the draft, but should he transfer, he's going to be an important addition.
    No longer theoretical. Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress/ESPN tweeted that Princeton's Tosan Evbuomwan did declare for the draft and will sign with an agent. ESPN has him ranked in its Best Available list as the #21 small forward and #86 player overall.

Also, the owner of the most litigious name in college basketball is going pro. Justice Sueing of Ohio State, despite playing his freshman year in 2017-2018, is somehow declaring early for the draft, according to a tweet from ESPN's Jeff Borzello. (He was at Cal for 2 seasons, sat out a transfer year, and played his 3rd and 4th seasons at Ohio State, with an injury hardship year in between.)

This guy was in the same high school graduating class as DeAndre Ayton and Trae Young.

According to the algorithm that is Jon Rothstein, UVA's Reece Beekman has put his name into the draft while maintaining his eligibility.

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/sta...7n3qJnQMsoRZcQ

Suffice it to say, losing Beekman would be a disaster for UVA next season. They already lose a ton with the players that have aged out. They also lost promising redshirt FR F Isaac Traudt to the transfer portal, presumably to move closer to home. Kadin Shedrick and Francisco Caffarro are also portaling. I liked their lineup if they had held onto those players. But they didn't. Beekman may see the writing on the wall and wonder if another season in college is his best path forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    According to the algorithm that is Jon Rothstein, UVA's Reece Beekman has put his name into the draft while maintaining his eligibility.

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/sta...7n3qJnQMsoRZcQ

Suffice it to say, losing Beekman would be a disaster for UVA next season. They already lose a ton with the players that have aged out. They also lost promising redshirt FR F Isaac Traudt to the transfer portal, presumably to move closer to home. Kadin Shedrick and Francisco Caffarro are also portaling. I liked their lineup if they had held onto those players. But they didn't. Beekman may see the writing on the wall and wonder if another season in college is his best path forward.
    Yeah, UVa has already been decimated by eligibility expiration (Gardner and Clark) and transfer. If they lose Beekman, it's going to be a lot of hard work for Bennett on the transfer portal to recover. Even still, it's going to be pretty tough sledding as he has lost all his bigs.

ESPN: Alabama freshman Brandon Miller entering 2023 NBA draft

Miller, a 6-foot-9 All-American considered to be the top college prospect in the draft class, has emerged shoulder-to-shoulder with G League Ignite guard Scoot Henderson to become the No. 2 pick in the June draft behind generational No. 1 pick Victor Wembanyama of France.

Presumably a top 3 pick. No shock here.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, UVa has already been decimated by eligibility expiration (Gardner and Clark) and transfer. If they lose Beekman, it's going to be a lot of hard work for Bennett on the transfer portal to recover. Even still, it's going to be pretty tough sledding as he has lost all his bigs.
    Tell me more about this <checks notes> “eligibility expiration?” you speak of…

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Presumably a top 3 pick. No shock here.
    I wouldn't be shocked if he slides in the draft. The off-the-court stuff and his performance in the NCAA Tournament raised a lot of questions.

I wouldn't be shocked if he slides in the draft. The off-the-court stuff and his performance in the NCAA Tournament raised a lot of questions.
    Nah, he's gunning for Scoot Henderson's #2 position in the draft after Wemby. This was the right time, right place for Miller to declare.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Nah, he's gunning for Scoot Henderson's #2 position in the draft after Wemby. This was the right time, right place for Miller to declare.
    So you’re saying he’s got a shot at it?

One would think/hope that Ja Morant’s recent troubles would increase focus on character and the types of people players associate with but I think some people care a lot more about this than others, especially when talent is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    ...I think some people care a lot more about this than others, especially when talent is involved.
    Hasn't that always been the case?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    So you’re saying he’s got a shot at it?
    I think his tournament performance showed he’s not a shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Hasn't that always been the case?
    I said there is heightened awareness and focus. Attention to these types of things ebbs and flows. The world is not black and white. Some people care more than others. But now more people likely care more (or Adam Silver might be asking them to care more).

ESPN: Indiana freshman Jalen Hood-Schifino to enter 2023 NBA draft

In mid-December, Hood-Schifino was asked to step into an outsized role upon the team losing starting point guard Xavier Johnson to a season-ending injury. After a turbulent start, Hood-Schifino grabbed hold of the point guard position and helped catapult Indiana to victories in 11 of their final 15 regular-season games, securing third in the Big Ten and a No. 4 seed in the NCAA tournament.
    Hood-Schifino fits the NBA prototype as a big, ballhandling lead guard with versatile shot-making prowess, live-dribble playmaking creativity and defensive toughness.
    ESPN ranks him as the 4th best point guard and 13th best overall prospect among players available for the 2023 NBA Draft.

Arkansas frosh Nick Smith and K-State tournament hero Marquis Nowell have both declared too.

https://twitter.com/kovajoness/statu...9r0w5bZB3Of0eA

Colby Jones from Xavier has entered the draft.

It sure feels like there are a lot fewer players "testing the waters" this year than last year.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Arkansas frosh Nick Smith and K-State tournament hero Marquis Nowell have both declared too.
    I believe it's "Markquis." He had exhausted his eligibility, right?

Draft

No longer theoretical. Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress/ESPN tweeted that Princeton's Tosan Evbuomwan did declare for the draft and will sign with an agent. ESPN has him ranked in its Best Available list as the #21 small forward and #86 player overall.
    Let's just say having an actual NBA draft pick is not generally on my bingo card.

O&BSheep