Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

2023 Other Peoples Draft Decisions

To the surprise of nobody, Michigan’s Jett Howard declared for the draft. Very good shooter but poor defender and not much of a creator. First round draft pick though due to the shooting and his very good size as a shooter.

Judah Mintz of Syracuse has declared for the draft, but plans to also retain his college eligibility.

UCF: Taylor Hendricks Declares for 2023 NBA Draft

The 6-foot-9 Hendricks led UCF in several categories during the 2022-23 season, helping lead the Knights to their first postseason appearance since the team's 2018-19 NCAA Tournament appearance. He netted 515 points on the campaign, averaging 15.1 points per game. He pulled in seven rebounds per contest and tallied 59 blocks. He led the team in field goal percentage, shooting a 47.8% clip, and was second on the team in three-point percentage with a 39.4% mark from downtown. Hendricks started all 34 UCF games this season.
    South Carolina: Jackson II Declares for 2023 NBA Draft

Standout freshman Gregory “GG” Jackson II announced he will forgo his remaining college eligibility after declaring for the 2023 NBA Draft on Friday morning.
    In his one season as a Gamecock, Jackson earned a spot on the SEC All-Freshman Team after averaging 15.4 points (9th in SEC) and 5.9 rebounds per game (13th in SEC). His scoring average was the fifth-most in the nation by a freshman.
    Rutgers: Clifford Omoruyi Declares for 2023 NBA Draft, While Maintaining NCAA Eligibility

Omoruyi became the first player in Rutgers basketball history to be selected Preseason First-Team All-Big Ten in 2022-23. At the completion of the season, the Benin City, Nigeria native was selected to First-Team All-Big Ten Defensive Team and to the Second-Team All-Big Ten (media).

Omoruyi averaged 13.2 points-per-game, 9.6 rebounds and 2.1 blocks for the Scarlet Knights. His 72 blocks on the year were good for 15th in the nation and third in the Big Ten. His 325 rebounds were tied for 17th in the country.
    Current ESPN draft rankings of best players available -- whether they declare or not -- has these players ranked as follows:

#12 Taylor Hendricks (#2 at power forward position)
    #16 Jett Howard (#5 at SG)
    #28 GG Jackson (#5 at PF)
    #65 Judah Mintz (#18 at SG)

Clifford Omoruyi is not ranked at this time.

Houston’s star freshman Jarace Walker is in. Lottery pick.

Taylor Hendricks was the #67 prospect in the nation coming out of high school. Goes to show how tough it is to evaluate pro potential as these kids enter college. There will be 5-star top 20 recruits who don't turn pro this year while a freshman who was barely in the top 70 is projected to have a good shot at the lottery.

I know many UCF fans had hoped Hendricks would stick around as they move to the B12, which is going to be a major step up in competition and a real challenge for Johnny Dawkins.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I know many UCF fans had hoped Hendricks would stick around as they move to the B12, which is going to be a major step up in competition and a real challenge for Johnny Dawkins.
    Johnny's biggest challenge will be travel. I believe his closest B12 buddy will be Houston, and they'll have to go as far as Utah (BYU).

Though I guess it's not as bad as UCLA and USC traveling to New Jersey.

Fie on college sports.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Houston’s star freshman Jarace Walker is in. Lottery pick.
    Wow, that’s an unusually quick announcement… they just got bounced not even 48 hours ago!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Ohio State's Bryce Sensabaugh is in, although he is retaining his eligibility to return. He's a likely first rounder, so he's probably gone.

Terquavion Smith to the draft. All in - Forgoing college eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    State was kinda lucky to get him back last year. He could easily have entered the draft. His stock is about the same now as it was then... perhaps a late first but more likely an early 2nd round pick.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I referee high school basketball here in NC. I worked the Farmville Central vs. Reidsville game in the Dean Dome. Smith was on the bench with Farmville Central (his alma mater, of course). And you should have seen the genuine excitement he had when they won the 2A title. I dont know how much it speaks to character, but it speaks enough for me. Wish him all the best in the league.

State was kinda lucky to get him back last year. He could easily have entered the draft. His stock is about the same now as it was then... perhaps a late first but more likely an early 2nd round pick.
    Good reminder that coming back doesn't automatically result in boosting draft stock.

We are very lucky that Tyrese Proctor is coming back for a sophomore season. Any future announcements from the freshmen would also be very lucky for Duke.

Taylor Hendricks was the #67 prospect in the nation coming out of high school. Goes to show how tough it is to evaluate pro potential as these kids enter college. There will be 5-star top 20 recruits who don't turn pro this year while a freshman who was barely in the top 70 is projected to have a good shot at the lottery.
    I suspect we'll see more of these outlier situations this year than in most years because COVID wiped out a pretty important chunk of this recruiting class's development/exposure to college coaches. The cracks that kids could fall through were bigger for this recruiting class than they usually are.

That step-up to the B12 might be a reason he's leaving now!
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 03-28-2023 at 04:32 PM.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Good player with a crazy first name. In my mind, it always comes out as turduckian.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Good player with a crazy first name. In my mind, it always comes out as turduckian.
    This is just begging for someone with photoshop skills to have at it!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I thought that was the guy from The Man from Uncle, Illia Turduckin.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I think his stock went down from where he would've been selected last year to where he'll be picked this year, despite his having a really good year offensively for State.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I think his stock went down from where he would've been selected last year to where he'll be picked this year, despite his having a really good year offensively for State.
    Probably depends on his workouts. When he declared a year ago no one thought much of it but then his workouts and measurables at the combine were really impressive and he rose up draft board to where he had a chance to be a first rounder. The same thing could happen again this year. I hope it does, he seems like a good kid who works hard.

Probably depends on his workouts. When he declared a year ago no one thought much of it but then his workouts and measurables at the combine were really impressive and he rose up draft board to where he had a chance to be a first rounder. The same thing could happen again this year. I hope it does, he seems like a good kid who works hard.
    Here is an article about Smith kicking butt at the combine last year: https://www.backingthepack.com/nc-st...-draft-combine

Keyonte George is entering the draft, giving up eligibility. No. 9 on Givony’s draft board. No surprise here. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...t?platform=amp
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K