Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mark Mitchell injury?

Anyone know what the extent of his injury?

He is out for the remainder of Duke's season.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Not funny.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Not funny.
    I don't know... made me chuckle

Not funny.
    Forgive me. This is how I cope.

Forgive me. This is how I cope.
    You’re forgiven. It’s just too soon after the loss.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Yep

You’re forgiven. It’s just too soon after the loss.
    I'm with Ozzie. That loss still more than stings!

Quote Originally Posted by revmel53 View Post
    I'm with Ozzie. That loss still more than stings!
    Thats a result of all the hard fouls Tennessee wasn't called for

I posted this question in the Tennessee post game thread and never saw a response. The most I can find on Google is he landed awkwardly on the knee in practice and told Scheyer the knee wasn't moving well the next day and he couldn't play.
    However, in my searching I found another article that's a bit concerning. Mark suffered a knee injury of April 2019 while taking part in USA bball mini-camp. He ended up having surgery on it.

From the article:

Once back in Kansas City after camp, Mark tried to practice the next week, but his knee “wasn’t feeling like I thought it should.” He and his father, Mark Mitchell Sr., went to see orthopedic surgeon Vincent Key, MD, at The University of Kansas Health System. Dr. Key is board-certified in orthopedic surgery and orthopedic sports medicine. He is also an expert in knee, shoulder and elbow injuries. Coincidentally, Dr. Key had coached the younger Mark in youth basketball.

After examining Mark, Dr. Key sent him for an MRI and diagnosed him with a chondral injury to his right patella, or cartilage damage under his kneecap. “It’s a pretty common injury for athletes in running and jumping sports,” says Dr. Key. “It’s a hyper-extension injury. He had a flap of cartilage that was causing inflammation in his knee. I did an arthroscopic procedure and basically smoothed out the cartilage that was catching like a hangnail causing inflammation.”

Obviously we have no idea if the most recent injury is to the same knee.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    I posted this question in the Tennessee post game thread and never saw a response. The most I can find on Google is he landed awkwardly on the knee in practice and told Scheyer the knee wasn't moving well the next day and he couldn't play.
    However, in my searching I found another article that's a bit concerning. Mark suffered a knee injury of April 2019 while taking part in USA bball mini-camp. He ended up having surgery on it.

From the article:

Once back in Kansas City after camp, Mark tried to practice the next week, but his knee “wasn’t feeling like I thought it should.” He and his father, Mark Mitchell Sr., went to see orthopedic surgeon Vincent Key, MD, at The University of Kansas Health System. Dr. Key is board-certified in orthopedic surgery and orthopedic sports medicine. He is also an expert in knee, shoulder and elbow injuries. Coincidentally, Dr. Key had coached the younger Mark in youth basketball.

After examining Mark, Dr. Key sent him for an MRI and diagnosed him with a chondral injury to his right patella, or cartilage damage under his kneecap. “It’s a pretty common injury for athletes in running and jumping sports,” says Dr. Key. “It’s a hyper-extension injury. He had a flap of cartilage that was causing inflammation in his knee. I did an arthroscopic procedure and basically smoothed out the cartilage that was catching like a hangnail causing inflammation.”

That article didn't sound that concerning at all. Cartilage injuries are way better than ligament injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post

From the article:

Thank you for the response. With the impact this injury had and its timing, I'm a bit surprised the team didn't provide a bit more information after the game was over and everyone got back home. They have to know people are interested. Obviously they don't owe the fans more information, but it would seem sensible to me in this situation to let folks know a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Thank you for the response. With the impact this injury had and its timing, I'm a bit surprised the team didn't provide a bit more information after the game was over and everyone got back home. They have to know people are interested. Obviously they don't owe the fans more information, but it would seem sensible to me in this situation to let folks know a bit more.
    So inquiring minds want to know? When it comes down to it, this is Mitchell's medical information. Unless he has given HIPPA authorization, I don't believe anyone else can release it publicly. And since there's no more games for him this season, whether he's 0% or 100% doesn't matter. So it's back to inquiring minds wanting to know. I just hope he's recovers fully to do what he wants to do, wherever and whenever he wants to do it.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    So inquiring minds want to know? When it comes down to it, this is Mitchell's medical information. Unless he has given HIPPA authorization, I don't believe anyone else can release it publicly. And since there's no more games for him this season, whether he's 0% or 100% doesn't matter. So it's back to inquiring minds wanting to know. I just hope he's recovers fully to do what he wants to do, wherever and whenever he wants to do it.

9F
    Hippa only applies to medical professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Hippa only applies to medical professionals.
    But since Duke is his medical team, I don't think anyone at Duke can provide information. Or am I mistaken on this somehow legally?

9F
    Last edited by kako; 03-23-2023 at 04:53 PM. Reason: changed "represents" to "is"
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

But since Duke is his medical team, I don't think anyone at Duke can provide information. Or am I mistaken on this somehow legally?

9F
    He could release it himself, or a waiver could be signed. Even with a waiver, the attorneys would likely be reluctant to have the medical team talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    That article didn't sound that concerning at all. Cartilage injuries are way better than ligament injuries.
    Cartilage is weird. Greg Oden is a great example of someone whose career was greatly affected by cartilage injuries. Trimming a flake of cartilage off the patella is quick and easy in the short term but might have long term implications (i.e. arthritis). Cartilage doesn’t “heal” very well - it has a crappy blood supply and gets it nourishment/oxygen from the joint fluid primarily. Cartilage injuries of the knee often cause a lot of swelling. Certainly ligament injuries can be bad too(ACL,PCL, patellar dislocations), but MCL and LCL injuries are far more common, heal routinely, and have very little long term ramifications (unless they’re associated with concomitant cartilage injuries).

9F
    While I commend your public virtue signal, I suspect every Duke fan hopes the best for the players' futures. Yes at least one inquiring mind would like to know, and I sincerely doubt HIPAA monitors would bat an eye at a Mitchell-approved release of a bit more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    While I commend your public virtue signal, I suspect every Duke fan hopes the best for the players' futures. Yes at least one inquiring mind would like to know, and I sincerely doubt HIPAA monitors would bat an eye at a Mitchell-approved release of a bit more information.
    Please. We've already acknowledged the HIPAA misapplication in this instance. We don't need a "virtue signaling" discussion on top of it.

Actually, knowing Duke they would say he is out indefinitely or refuse to comment on specifics.

But he might be available for the Final Four…….to travel to Houston and watch Texas play. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    But he might be available for the Final Four…….to travel to Houston and watch Texas play. 😉
    Nope. Could travel to Houston but won't see Texas (or Houston for that matter)