Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    ACC: 2022-23 All-ACC Academic Women’s Basketball Team Announced

Duke had 7 of the 86 student-athletes to make the team. Celeste Taylor was named for the second time.

Kennedy Brown, Duke, Jr., Evolutionary Anthropology
    Taya Corosdale, Duke, Gr., Master of Liberal Studies
    Vanessa DeJesus, Duke, Jr., Biology
    Mia Heide, Duke, Gr., Master of Management Studies
    Jordyn Oliver, Duke, Sr., Sociology
    Reigan Richardson, Duke, So., Sociology
    **Celeste Taylor, Duke, Sr., G, Psychology
    Academic requirements for selection to the All-ACC Academic Team are a 3.0-grade point average for the previous semester and a 3.0 cumulative average during one’s academic career. In addition, student-athletes must compete in at least 50 percent of their team’s contests.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    ACC: 2022-23 All-ACC Academic Women’s Basketball Team Announced

Duke had 7 of the 86 student-athletes to make the team. Celeste Taylor was named for the second time.
    **Celeste Taylor, Duke, Sr., G, Psychology

I'd love to pick that brain!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Jordyn Oliver to transfer. I guess she wanted a starting role but it’s hard to give that to her when she can’t make a jumper.
    Tennesseean: Vanderbilt women's basketball lands Duke transfer, former McDonald's All American Jordyn Oliver

In 2022-23, she played in 33 games with seven starts, averaging 17.4 minutes per game with 3.8 points, 3.5 rebounds and 1.9 assists per game. She made 46.3% of her field goals but attempted just two 3-pointers and made neither.
    A little snark in the obligatory stats paragraph. Based on what's been posted here and in the WBB Transfer Portal thread, she's already graduated and has two more seasons of eligibility.

Jordyn Oliver herself also tweeted the news. This was announced last Tuesday; I missed it entirely.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Tennesseean: Vanderbilt women's basketball lands Duke transfer, former McDonald's All American Jordyn Oliver

A little snark in the obligatory stats paragraph. Based on what's been posted here and in the WBB Transfer Portal thread, she's already graduated and has two more seasons of eligibility.

Jordyn Oliver herself also tweeted the news. This was announced last Tuesday; I missed it entirely.
    Having degrees from both Duke and Vandy sets up for a solid future off the court.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Good news for Duke: Tennessee just gave Harper a contract extension through the 27-28 season.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Good news for Duke: Tennessee just gave Harper a contract extension through the 27-28 season.
    May she continue to earn them, and may Kara continue to earn extensions from Duke.

The Chronicle: Duke women's basketball offseason outlook: Who should the Blue Devils target in the transfer portal?

The article discusses three players: Louisville guard Hailey Van Lith, DePaul guard Darrione Rogers, and Arkansas forward Erynn Barnum.

The Wenatchee, Wash., native averaged 19.7 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game with the Cardinals, demonstrating her versatility as a player. She also has experience with Lawson, as Van Lith was a player on the Duke head coach’s USA Basketball 3x3 team.
    Fellow Blue Demon Aneesah Morrow is also in the portal, but Rogers is probably a more realistic target for Duke. While her scoring output of 16.8 points per game is certainly admirable, what is more impressive is her facilitating ability. Rogers dished out 5.1 assists per game last year, which was third in the Big East.
    Redshirt senior Erynn Barnum was Arkansas’ leading scorer last year, averaging 15 points per game. She is also a very efficient scorer, shooting 55.6% from the floor, good for third in the SEC. Barnum is not a great 3-point shooter, but understands her role and can knock down a triple if necessary.

Oh for pete's sake. Here's something for a complete waste of your time. Creme has next year's bracketology up.

But I'm gonna do y'all a favor. Don't click on this ****, all you need to know is that he has Duke as a last 4 bye.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ll-projections
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Oh for pete's sake. Here's something for a complete waste of your time. Creme has next year's bracketology up.

But I'm gonna do y'all a favor. Don't click on this ****, all you need to know is that he has Duke as a last 4 bye.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ll-projections
    Your sig is fitting there.

Probably missing the correct thread, but Duke just got another commit:

https://twitter.com/jordanw_13_?lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post

Welcome Jordan (may have to work on the name )!

6-4, looks to be very long (some would say skinny ). Saw some video of her making 3s, looked pretty smooth, so a stretch-4. Named Chicago player of the year, helped her team to the state championship last year (couldn't find anything on this year). Solid pickup.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post

Nice. ESPN gives her a 4 star rating (#62 in their top 100), had been committed to MSU but recently withdrew.

https://www.espn.com/high-school/gir...er/_/id/239022

By the way, ESPN lists her as 6'2", but Duke lists her in her welcome announcement as 6'4".

She has either grown 2" quickly, or plays in Nike heels.
    "I'm excited and blessed to be a Blue Devil," said Wood. "Duke provides incredible opportunities for both students and athletes to thrive. Coach Lawson has a strong determination to help her players succeed at the highest level and I wouldn't want to be a part of anything else!"

With her name on the dotted line, Wood joins fellow incoming freshman Jadyn Donovan, Oluchi Okananwa and Delaney Thomas – all of whom were previously announced during the early signing period back in November.
    https://goduke.com/news/2023/4/19/wo...023-class.aspx

I like that Kara has added to '23 class with an incoming freshman. I'm sure she is looking in the portal, too, but getting a potential 4 year player is always welcome.

Wood is a good addition but what is needed in the 10 person rotation is a point guard. Richardson Jackson and Donavan could potentially play in Taylor’s position. DeJesus will be one of the point guards. Maybe Koabel is capable of playing point. Lawson needs portal pick ups.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Wood is a good addition but what is needed in the 10 person rotation is a point guard. Richardson Jackson and Donavan could potentially play in Taylor’s position. DeJesus will be one of the point guards. Maybe Koabel is capable of playing point. Lawson needs portal pick ups.
    I actually think Jackson could play point if needed.

Celeste statement. Kinda a mixed message.

https://twitter.com/_celeste620/stat...390464/photo/1

“Unforeseen circumstances” just raises questions. Happy she’s out of conference and now can defend caitlyn Clark twice but still

Better than following Gandy

“Unforeseen circumstances” just raises questions. Happy she’s out of conference and now can defend caitlyn Clark twice but still
    Yes, puzzling. Could be many things. Maybe academic or extracurricular issues?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Better than following Gandy
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Yes, puzzling. Could be many things. Maybe academic or extracurricular issues?
    Pretty clear message: she's transferring to Ohio State. That's the headline. Not sure why all of you left the main part off.

For those of you who can't load the link because of a finicky work computer or a bad Internet connection...

ESPN: Former Duke star Celeste Taylor transferring to Ohio State

"Due to unforeseen circumstances, I have decided to do my [grad] year at The Ohio State University," Taylor posted, thanking the Duke fanbase and program while acknowledging her move with the caption, "Hey Buckeye Nation."

Taylor initially announced that she would return to Duke for a fifth season before entering her name in the transfer portal.
    Celeste-to-Columbus had been rumored for a few days by people that are probably more in the know. If we continue to believe their rumblings, there will be more announcements soon in the Big Ten arms race. Ohio State, Indiana, Iowa, and maybe Maryland (who knows, they're dead to me) are all looking at the portal to stay Top 10 caliber.