Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't think there is any coincidence in this. Always spin the positive. Posted at the same time as the Celeste news broke, GoDuke put up this article about Balogun.
    Former Duke women's basketball player Elizabeth Balogun has signed a training camp contract with the Las Vegas Aces, General Manager Natalie Williams announced on Wednesday.
    https://goduke.com/news/2023/4/12/wo...egas-aces.aspx
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Chronicle reporting that Celeste Taylor has enter the transfer portal. This is terrible news if true.
    Yes it is; real sorry to hear this surprising news. You've got to wonder what the reason is (which we'll probably never learn of course.) I appreciate her contribution to Duke women's basketball and wish her the best (unless she plays against us.)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    I appreciate her contribution to Duke women's basketball and wish her the best (unless she plays against us.)
    Ditto to the appreciation, and as for the bold, especially when it's the Elite Eight and she's playing for SC, which I think is going to be talking to her. They need someone to replace the defender they just lost in Aliyah Boston.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

How does this work for Celeste since she’s already transferred once? I don’t understand the portal rules. I assume she needs a waiver to play?

Quote Originally Posted by Bike4Fun View Post
    How does this work for Celeste since she’s already transferred once? I don’t understand the portal rules. I assume she needs a waiver to play?
    Since she graduated, she can transfer without restrictions.

Its definitely puzzling the way the decision was portrayed in the press. Maybe the insiders, including Lawson, knew all along, but nonetheless it puts next year's starting lineup in a huge deficit. The good news is that there is a lot of talent in the portal, so lets hope that Lawson is successful in bringing in the pieces she needs. It does however create discontinuity and turmoil until the team gels, if at all.

I don't know anything about this particular source, but I saw it posted on another forum. Apparently Winston Gandy is heading to South Carolina. If that's the case, the timing would make a lot of sense with respect to Celeste.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I don't know anything about this particular source, but I saw it posted on another forum. Apparently Winston Gandy is heading to South Carolina. If that's the case, the timing would make a lot of sense with respect to Celeste.
    SC is a big draw.

I wonder if some of these players want to make a super team somewhere? If Celeste and Van Lith went to Iowa to join Caitlin Clark, that would be a formidable team. If that's the case, too bad they didn't all want to come to Duke.

Self-quoting to say that Gandy is still listed as of this morning on the Duke coaching roster. So any possible move is apparently not yet official, if it is happening at all. If Gandy isn't moving, then I still am at a loss for how to explain the timing for Celeste.

Self-quoting to say that Gandy is still listed as of this morning on the Duke coaching roster. So any possible move is apparently not yet official, if it is happening at all. If Gandy isn't moving, then I still am at a loss for how to explain the timing for Celeste.
    Looks like it's happening.

Winston Gandy has resigned as Duke women’s basketball’s associate head coach with the expectation he will join Dawn Staley’s staff at South Carolina. A Duke spokesperson confirmed Thursday morning that Gandy has given notice of his departure and that Duke head coach Kara Lawson is “politely declining to comment further” on her top aide’s move.
    https://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...#storylink=cpy

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Hard not to think something is happening behind the scenes that is not very good

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Hard not to think something is happening behind the scenes that is not very good
    I dunno. The #1 women's program hires a Duke coach to be head assistant. More money, better path to an NC, surer route to becoming a HC, further proof that the big dogs rule. Unfortunate, but not necessarily a sign of troubles at Duke -- except in finding a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I dunno. The #1 women's program hires a Duke coach to be head assistant. More money, better path to an NC, surer route to becoming a HC, further proof that the big dogs rule. Unfortunate, but not necessarily a sign of troubles at Duke -- except in finding a replacement.
    The news is if the assistant leaves for SC and Celeste goes with him. She's one of the top defenders in women's basketball. Maybe that's how he gets the job? "Yeah, Dawn, I can deliver."
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Not just Celeste?

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The news is if the assistant leaves for SC and Celeste goes with him."
    The article from The State suggests that in addition to Celeste Taylor, Shayeann Day-Wilson is now looking at USC. Pulling two players from the Duke roster is an even bigger get.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephReidBooks View Post
    The article from The State suggests that in addition to Celeste Taylor, Shayeann Day-Wilson is now looking at USC. Pulling two players from the Duke roster is an even bigger get.
    Yep. The end justifies the means? Dawn of a new era.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

If it happens, I'll be able to see the flames of that burning bridge from my house.

Let's hope this is the low point and the Duke team starts to rebuild from here. I sure hope our freshmen recruits don't get spooked.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If it happens, I'll be able to see the flames of that burning bridge from my house.
    You ain't kidding. He must believe this is his last assistant coaching job because no one will hire him after taking two players with him from his last assistant post.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yep, I agree with this. Winston wants a HC job, so this move makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    You ain't kidding. He must believe this is his last assistant coaching job because no one will hire him after taking two players with him from his last assistant post.
    Or they might be like "Hey, let's get Gandy, that guy brings his best players with him!"

PS, every time a coaching position opens at Duke, I'm all over promoting her presence in Durham, and now's no different.
    Hey Kara, give Joy Cheek a call! (She's currently at Clemson)