Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    I believe the women's game is 7:30 and men at 10 et per Nike site
    This Nike Hoop Summit site has it at 7 (i.e., 4 PDT).

http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/about

Apparently Louisville guard Hailey Van Lith has entered the NCAA transfer portal. She is very good. Sort of reminds me of Chris Mullin with that lefty jump shot. Would be amazing to add her to this Duke team.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Apparently Louisville guard Hailey Van Lith has entered the NCAA transfer portal. She is very good. Sort of reminds me of Chris Mullin with that lefty jump shot. Would be amazing to add her to this Duke team.
    That is not happening. She apparently already knows where she is going. She is likely doing this for branding and NIL- likely out west.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    That is not happening. She apparently already knows where she is going. She is likely doing this for branding and NIL- likely out west.
    I didn’t realize that she has an NIL deal with Adidas, so I’m guessing she’s headed to an Adidas school.

Quite frankly, nobody here knows anything.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Quite frankly, nobody here knows anything.
    Or everything, in their mind.

Apparently Louisville guard Hailey Van Lith has entered the NCAA transfer portal.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    She apparently already knows where she is going.
    I didn’t realize that she has an NIL deal with Adidas, so I’m guessing she’s headed to an Adidas school.
    ESPN: Louisville guard Hailey Van Lith enters portal as grad transfer

One of the top players in the ACC and in the country, Van Lith has two years of eligibility remaining: her senior season and the COVID "freebie" year granted to basketball athletes amid the COVID season of 2020-21. The school said she will receive her degree in finance in May.
    Not a big fan of On3 -- too much weird speculation about NIL value, and an unclear agenda when it comes to ranking transfers -- but they insert the same general explanation about the transfer portal every time they publish an announcement. It provides in part:

Once a player’s name shows up in the portal, other schools can contact the player... A player can ask that a “do not contact” tag be placed on the report. In those instances, the players don’t want to be contacted by schools unless they’ve initiated the communication.
    Apparently, Van Lith has requested a "do not contact" tag, and this tweet from a Fairfield assistant coach is in response to that:

Blake DuDonis @BlakeDuDonis

Also, when a player marks "do not contact" in the portal, it can mean two things.

1) They know where they are going already
    2) They want to control their own process and reach out to the schools they want to reach out to, as opposed to having their phone blown up

8:52 AM · Apr 8, 2023

This echoes what dukelifer and nmduke2001 were already saying. Van Lith is an Adidas athlete at an Adidas school. This article from last December is about the 4 male basketball players that signed NIL deals with Adidas after she did.

adidasplayers.jpg

Indiana is an Adidas school, a top seed in the tournament, and they have an opening at guard after Grace Berger finished her eligibility. Miami is also an Adidas school -- they upset Indiana and Villanova to make the Elite Eight, and have not been shy about NIL deals. Then there's Washington, an Adidas school in her home state.

Other power conference Adidas schools, based on its college merchandise page: Arizona State, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Mississippi State, Nebraska, NC State, Rutgers, Texas A&M.

Nike Hoop Summit (women)

Donovan started. Wing, pretty good handle, athletic moves, hustle, very active D, probably guard 2-4. Has made 4/6 FTs, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Donovan started. Wing, pretty good handle, athletic moves, hustle, very active D, probably guard 2-4. Has made 4/6 FTs, I think.
    Jadyn Donovan and Team USA won over Team World 100-79 in the Nike Hoop Summit.

ESPN's Kevin Pelton has tweeted halftime and postgame box scores. The latter:

nikehoopsummitwomen.jpg

Jadyn Donovan hit both her shot attempts in the second half and finished with 8 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals, and 1 block in 22 minutes of action.

ETA: found a pretty good highlight clip of the block tweeted here.
    Last edited by brevity; 04-08-2023 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Jadyn Donovan hit both her shot attempts in the second half and finished with 8 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals, and 1 block in 22 minutes of action.

ETA: found a pretty good highlight clip of the block tweeted here.
    The WNBA finally posted a highlight video of the Nike Hoop Summit women's game:

You can start at the 6:00 mark to see Jadyn Donovan's block-to-fast-break play. She's wearing USA jersey #12. Fellow starter Hannah Hidalgo (USA #6) is also ACC-bound, headed to Notre Dame. Zoe Brooks (USA #4) will attend NC State, but she did not play yesterday.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    WNBA draft was tonight. As expected, Boston went #1. Duke's only real chance to get her name called was Elizabeth Balogun, but not terribly surprising it never happened. She'll have a playing career somewhere, but it won't be in the United States. Getting paid to see the world at a young age ain't a bad gig, though, and she's got her Duke degree that lasts a lifetime.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    WNBA draft was tonight. As expected, Boston went #1. Duke's only real chance to get her name called was Elizabeth Balogun, but not terribly surprising it never happened. She'll have a playing career somewhere, but it won't be in the United States. Getting paid to see the world at a young age ain't a bad gig, though, and she's got her Duke degree that lasts a lifetime.
    I think she could at least gets a camp invite somewhere. She can really shoot, and she plays good defense. It is possible she could earn her way into a league minimum as a glue player off the bench. She'll certainly be able to make better money elsewhere, but I wouldn't entirely rule out the WNBA for her at some point.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Bye. And Bye again.

The Cavinder Twins are calling it a career. They won't be back for their 5th year at Miami, and won't be playing basketball, but they are shopping around their options since together they are a money making machine. One real possibility is seeing them next in a wrestling ring.

Haley had said she wanted to play the final season, but Hanna was ready to quit basketball and move on to other things.

In an interview last month on the “BFFs” podcast with Barstool’s Dave Portnoy, Haley Cavinder said she wanted to stay at UM for her fifth season, but Hanna was unsure. Among their options, getting more involved with pro wrestling, as they have an NIL deal with WWE and know of the popularity of the Bella Twins.

“I just like to hoop, so I was like, `I want to come back for a fifth year,’ but Hanna was more like `I want to start my life,” Haley Cavinder said. She added that they “don’t want to split up” their brand and marketing opportunities, as they have always been promoted as The Cavinder Twins.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/cavinder-...160137859.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Mgbako has asked for his NLI release because Flip is coming back. Is it too much to hope that Hannah Hidalgo will ask for her release now that we have lost 2 of our 3 point guards to the portal? She would start immediately instead of spending 2 years behind All-American Olivia Miles. It sure looked like she and Jadyn had a bond at the McD A-A game.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

It's being discussed in the transfer portal thread of course, but...

Damn.

Chronicle reporting that Celeste Taylor has enter the transfer portal. This is terrible news if true.

Chronicle reporting that Celeste Taylor has enter the transfer portal. This is terrible news if true.
    What's so baffling is that just two weeks ago she stated in that great video "I wouldn't want to spend my final years of college basketball anywhere else."

Welp.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    What's so baffling is that just two weeks ago she stated in that great video "I wouldn't want to spend my final years of college basketball anywhere else."

Welp.
    I agree; it doesn’t make sense.

Amazing basketball player. What is happening?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Amazing basketball player. What is happening?
    Silver lining is that this is something the staff likely had been planning on for a while since by all accounts she wasn't going to be at Duke next year.
    But for her to announce (with great fanfare) that she was coming back, and backtrack, that's a gut punch. And even if the coaches had been planning on it prior to two weeks ago, I'm assuming they happily put the brakes on prior to today, so it turns into a bit of back to the drawing board scramble.

I hope that nobody we may have been looking at in those two weeks was told "sorry, but since Celeste is coming back..."

With Shy portaling, and Balogun graduating, this team just lost 3 starters.