Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    A little perspective: Duke was never SDW’s first choice, it was an emergency Plan B when Syracuse imploded. Now that Legette-Jack has the Orange back on an even keel, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Shy head back there.
    She is already following a lot of Miami players on IG....

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Charlie Creme has a list of his top 20 players in the transfer portal. A list for Duke fans to keep an eye on, I suppose, since it isn't far fetched that Coach Lawson will be in contact with more than one of them.

Shy is third on his list.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...nkings-2023-24
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Charlie Creme has a list of his top 20 players in the transfer portal. A list for Duke fans to keep an eye on, I suppose, since it isn't far fetched that Coach Lawson will be in contact with more than one of them.

Shy is third on his list.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...nkings-2023-24
    Love this quote:

"Anyone who's whining about it is going to be out of business in two years. You better evolve or you're gone," McPhee-McCuin said at a postgame news conference over the weekend just minutes before Walz's comments. "The portal is part of life, baby. I just embrace it."
    Edit: There will be more entering, but after a quick scan, it looks like Jayda Curry out of Cal (so she can handle Duke academics) should be a top target. The other top guards don't appear to be PGs, and we've got plenty of 2s with Celeste, Reigan, Ashlon, et. al.

After leading the Bears in scoring for her first two collegiate seasons but Cal going 23-30 in that time, Curry is moving on from Berkley. She was the Pac-12 freshman of the year and led the league in scoring at 18.6 points per game in 2022, and ranked sixth in the Pac-12 at 15.5 points per game this season. Curry has the potential to be a game-changing scorer for a program looking to take another step or the missing playmaker for a national title contender.
    Edit 2: Top-flight student from her Cal bio.

https://calbears.com/sports/womens-b...da-curry/21368
    Last edited by dudog84; 03-28-2023 at 10:15 AM.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

These post-season awards are total BS.

Kara did not win a single vote for AP COY. These are what these exact same voters thought about the teams of the coaches who received votes, in preseason, and at voting time.

Indiana preseason #11, at time of voting #2
    South Carolina 1, 1
    Utah 26, 8
    Virginia Tech 13, 4

Kara led a team that was preseason #T42, with a whopping 2 points, to the #13 ranking. Maybe she shouldn't have won, but to get ZERO votes is a travesty.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

The after-this-season thread seemed the best place to post a ranking before-next-season.

ESPN: Women's college basketball Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2023-24

1. Connecticut
    2. Utah
    3. LSU
    4. Iowa
    5. Indiana
    6. UCLA
    7. South Carolina
    8. Ohio State
    9. Stanford
    10. Notre Dame

14. Virginia Tech
    16. Duke

16. Duke Blue Devils
    The unexpected decision of Celeste Taylor to use her bonus season is a game-changer for the Blue Devils, especially after the announcement of Shayeann Day-Wilson that she is entering the transfer portal. Taylor is the anchor of the defense and Duke's best offensive player. If Jadyn Donovan, the No. 3 recruit in this year's class according to HoopGurlz, can step into Day-Wilson's spot, the Blue Devils shouldn't miss a beat. They will remain one of the country's best defensive teams. With an offensive upgrade, Duke will be right near the top of the ACC again.
    19. Florida State
    22. Louisville
    24. UNC

That's 6 ACC teams -- and NC State was also considered -- but it's weird to see Elite Eight team Miami completely ignored. Their only rotation players out of eligibility are starter Destiny Harden and reserve Karla Erjavec. All-ACC player Haley Cavinder has indicated she would return.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    The after-this-season thread seemed the best place to post a ranking before-next-season.

ESPN: Women's college basketball Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2023-24

14. Virginia Tech
    16. Duke
    19. Florida State
    22. Louisville
    24. UNC
    I'm surprised Virginia Tech is only 14th with their final-4 performance this year and both Kitley and Amoore returning plus a top-20 recruiting class. They should be top-10.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    I'm surprised Virginia Tech is only 14th with their final-4 performance this year and both Kitley and Amoore returning plus a top-20 recruiting class. They should be top-10.
    My bet is when the time comes for actual pre-season voting, they will be. I expect to see Miami in the top 25 as well, the Cheaterettes once again placed higher than they should be, and for Duke to be somewhere between 20 and 25. (But at least we'll have more than 2 votes.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My bet is when the time comes for actual pre-season voting, they will be. I expect to see Miami in the top 25 as well, the Cheaterettes once again placed higher than they should be, and for Duke to be somewhere between 20 and 25. (But at least we'll have more than 2 votes.)
    We didn't win a whole lot of hearts and minds with the 2nd round loss. We gotta prove we deserve it before we'll really get respect.

Louisville just added Cal’s point guard (and I think she was Cal’s leading scorer) via transfer. So that competition is only getting better as well

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Louisville just added Cal’s point guard (and I think she was Cal’s leading scorer) via transfer. So that competition is only getting better as well
    Dang. How does a student-athlete with her academic credentials commit to the worst university in the ACC?

In the obnoxiously early pre-season look above, I didn't see State mentioned at all. Does anyone know how Wes' team is going to look next year? I mean they started pre-season top 10, and then dropped out of the 25, but they were still a tourney team and I can't imagine that they'll be awful next year. Not with him basically having the Wuffies as a perennial presence now.

Edit...I do see they got an honorable mention, but as was pointed out, surprisingly no sign of Miami even in that bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    We didn't win a whole lot of hearts and minds with the 2nd round loss. We gotta prove we deserve it before we'll really get respect.
    Concur. Great defense; horrific offense. You can't be awful on one end of the court and expect to beat many teams come March.

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    Only played in eight games this year for the Blue Devils.
    (And averaged only 5 minutes.)
    The graffiti was all over that wall, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    That's a bummer. I definitely didn't think she was ready for P5 play this year, and she proved that on the court, shooting 0-for-6 from three in her limited opportunities, but she had decent flashes. She scored 19 points in 43 minutes, and had 8 rebounds, so I think she showed potential. As a freshman, I was pretty convinced she'd grow into a role as a floor spacer, at the very least, and a solid all-around "glue" player at best. Obviously I have no inside information, but I'm sad to see her go. I hope she gets a chance to shine at her next stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    That's a bummer. I definitely didn't think she was ready for P5 play this year, and she proved that on the court, shooting 0-for-6 from three in her limited opportunities, but she had decent flashes. She scored 19 points in 43 minutes, and had 8 rebounds, so I think she showed potential. As a freshman, I was pretty convinced she'd grow into a role as a floor spacer, at the very least, and a solid all-around "glue" player at best. Obviously I have no inside information, but I'm sad to see her go. I hope she gets a chance to shine at her next stop.
    Judging from her limited playing time she must not have been displaying enough in practice. Maybe deficient defensively? Maybe a fresh start somewhere else will get her on track.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Judging from her limited playing time she must not have been displaying enough in practice. Maybe deficient defensively? Maybe a fresh start somewhere else will get her on track.
    Not having played since her sophomore season in high school likely took its toll. That's a long time to be away from the court. Agree with you that a fresh start can't hurt, I hope it works out for her.

Nike Hoop Summit (women)

First ever women’s game at Nike Hoop Summit, including Duke recruit Jadyn Donovan, tomorrow night (Sat 4/8), NBA TV, 7 EDT.

I believe the women's game is 7:30 and men at 10 et per Nike site
    Last edited by du_bb1; 04-07-2023 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    First ever women’s game at Nike Hoop Summit, including Duke recruit Jadyn Donovan, tomorrow night (Sat 4/8), NBA TV, 7 EDT.
    Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    I believe the women's game is 7:30 and men at 10 et per Nike site
    According to USA Basketball, Jadyn Donovan (bio) will be wearing jersey #12.

YouTube has a brief Nike Hoop Summit practice video that has a vertical portrait orientation, so I can't embed it here. Donovan (dark blue jersey #12) makes a shot and has a block in the first two plays.