Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

DWBB 2023 Post Season

It's too bad the original DWBB thread was closed, since there are a still items to wrap up and we are no longer in the NCAAs. Since we aren't, I'm starting this thread.
    There's a banquet coming up, some player recognitions that will be handed out, and of course there is just the nicety of having closure.

That being said, this was a wonderful year. 100% of all DWBB seasons have ended in a loss, so this one joins the crowd. Still, this team made a very remarkable journey and has lots to be proud of. As a fan, I'm sure proud of what they've done.

Our future is bright. We've got a top 5 class coming in. I'm sure there will be portal activity, both coming and going. It's the coming that I''ll be paying attention to most. As Kara said in her presser on Sunday, she'll identify what the team has, and then work on what the team needs. That may or may not mean that she goes after portal players, but it's likely. (Especially if they can score, I'm thinking.)

This season was another stepping stone in Duke's climb back to being an elite program. I have faith that Coach Lawson and her staff will keep building us in the right direction.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Some Celeste Taylor news.

The Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) announced the region finalists for the 2023 WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches' All-America team Wednesday morning, with senior Celeste Taylor earning a nod to the Region 1 list.

The 2023 WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches' All-America team will be announced later this month.
    https://goduke.com/news/2023/3/22/wo...paVZcHOkiybKdE
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Jordyn Oliver to transfer. I guess she wanted a starting role but it’s hard to give that to her when she can’t make a jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Jordyn Oliver to transfer. I guess she wanted a starting role but it’s hard to give that to her when she can’t make a jumper.
    Must be a grad transfer. Otherwise she'd have to sit a year.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Must be a grad transfer. Otherwise she'd have to sit a year.
    Tack on her covid year, and her redshirt year already taken (last year), she could be "playing" college ball for six years.

That's disappointing, but understandable. It will make the team weaker at PG. Oliver was one-dimensional on offense, but she was pretty good at that one dimension, and she was more than capable on the defensive end. But she basically does what incoming freshman Jadyn Donovan does, but without the upside. Hopefully, Jadyn adjusts quickly to the college game.

I really liked what Kara did with last years team. The only problem I had with it was they lacked scoring ability. The team desperately needs a shooter or 2 who can fill up the basket.
    I'm really hoping that we have some shooter/scorers coming in the freshman class or she needs to go out and find one in the portal. These girls where a defensive juggernaut and so hoping
    that continues!! But they seriously need some offense to go with the outstanding D they play.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    I really liked what Kara did with last years team. The only problem I had with it was they lacked scoring ability. The team desperately needs a shooter or 2 who can fill up the basket.
    I'm really hoping that we have some shooter/scorers coming in the freshman class or she needs to go out and find one in the portal. These girls where a defensive juggernaut and so hoping
    that continues!! But they seriously need some offense to go with the outstanding D they play.
    Kara and company are on the same page you are. As she made clear in one of her last press conferences, she likes offense. A lot. She values defense, of course, but she knows this team was lacking in their scoring ability, and I'm very sure that it will be a focus as they start looking around the transfer portal.
    If she can have team that can make buckets, AND play the D like they did this year, that team could be in for a long, fun ride.

Bigger shock: Day-Wilson to transfer. https://t.co/lDtuA5DWUs

That’s a huge loss.

That’s a huge loss.
    Wow. Now I really wish we would have gotten Hidalgo, who was on video saying Jadyn was the player she most wanted to play with. She would have stepped in and started from day 1. Now she'll play 2 years behind Miles at ND.

The portal has changed everything. But it seems crazy that a player can transfer in the offseason and not sit but a player that hasn't even enrolled does not have the same opportunity. The portal often changes completely the situation they thought they were coming into.

Edit to add The Chronicle story:

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...ransfer-portal

After Duke's loss to Colorado, Day-Wilson left the team’s postgame huddle while the rest of the players and coaches were still circled up.
    Was sorry to read that.
    Last edited by dudog84; 03-27-2023 at 11:18 AM.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Wow. Now I really wish we would have gotten Hidalgo, who was on video saying Jadyn was the player she most wanted to play with. She would have stepped in and started from day 1. Now she'll play 2 years behind Miles at ND.

The portal has changed everything. But it seems crazy that a player can transfer in the offseason and not sit but a player that hasn't even enrolled does not have the same opportunity. The portal often changes completely the situation they thought they were coming into.

Was sorry to read that.
    That is too bad, but those shooting numbers over the last ten games were horrific. I wonder why.

That’s a huge loss.
    Ouch! That one will hurt.

Was sorry to read that.
    Ditto. I'm like almost everyone else and not privy to behind the scenes dynamics, but that is troubling to hear.

I'm less troubled than most. I didn't see her display the promise we hoped for after her freshman year. I also believe she made some bad and selfish decisions in OT vs. Colorado. I'm not saying she isn't talented, but with our incoming recruits I think the writing may be on the wall, and she saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    I'm less troubled than most. I didn't see her display the promise we hoped for after her freshman year. I also believe she made some bad and selfish decisions in OT vs. Colorado. I'm not saying she isn't talented, but with our incoming recruits I think the writing may be on the wall, and she saw it.
    Day wilson has plenty of faults - most notably that her shooting gets incredibly streaky and she will battering ram herself against tough defenders over and over when it isn’t working - but she was a key element of this team both defensively and offensively - and with balogun and Taylor leaving, her departure is a big blow.

There is little shot that she would have less playing time next year than this year with all our departures, even with the frosh coming in.

But Kara doesn’t really do 36-40 minute starring roles for players - Taylor led the team last year at 28 minutes per game and SDW was 2nd on the team with 24 - so if SDW doesn’t want to share the load I get her transferring. But it still will hurt either way as that’s a lot of extra minutes to replace

Some great news Taylor has announced that she will be returning for her 5th season per goduke.com

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    Some great news Taylor has announced that she will be returning for her 5th season per goduke.com
    Double WOW!!! That's great!
    "What an amazing two years it has been to be a part of the Duke community. Throughout this journey, I have felt nothing but support from everyone around me," Taylor said. "The best part about Duke is the standard of excellence to which everyone is held. Not only does it teach you how to meet the standard, but it reminds you of the potential you have. The sky is far from the limit. I wouldn't want to spend my final years of college basketball anywhere else. It has been great to help revitalize the tradition that is Duke Women's Basketball. The first day I stepped foot on campus I wore a shirt that said Leave a Legacy. That's what I intend to do. I believe I am not quite done yet. I will be playing my final year of college basketball at Duke University."
    "This is a great day for our program! Celeste embodies everything you want in a player and competitor," said head coach Kara Lawson. "I couldn't be more excited to have the opportunity to coach her another season. She has won over the entire Duke community with her effort, leadership and character. She uplifts everyone around her. The example she sets every day changes our team. We have our leader back. Go Duke!"
    https://goduke.com/news/2023/3/27/wo...24-season.aspx

Celeste Taylor staying is the best thing to happen to the women's team is quite a while. I am so happy I get another season to watch her tear up and down the hardwood for Duke. Welcome back, Super-Senior Celeste!!

That's some great news! Celeste coming back is the best news I've heard today. Well, co-best! The defense she provides is nothing short of amazing. The energy she brings is on a par with the effort Wojo brought years ago.

Celeste coming back when we thought she might be gone is a far greater plus than Day-Wilson leaving is a minus. Would have been great having both back, but Day-Wilson leaving that post-game huddle wasn't a very "team" oriented decision.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Celeste coming back when we thought she might be gone is a far greater plus than Day-Wilson leaving is a minus. Would have been great having both back, but Day-Wilson leaving that post-game huddle wasn't a very "team" oriented decision.
    This quote from the article Dudog linked is pretty telling in hindsight.
    “It's not the typical end that you want, but I'm staying positive, keeping my head up,” Day-Wilson said following the Blue Devils’ season-ending March 20 loss to Colorado. “To not make it the year before and to get to at least Round Two — I wouldn't say I'm super happy with it, but I'm grateful. And, next year, looking forward to it, same way. And I'm just proud of my team, and I'm gonna miss all of them.

A little perspective: Duke was never SDW’s first choice, it was an emergency Plan B when Syracuse imploded. Now that Legette-Jack has the Orange back on an even keel, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Shy head back there.