Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    With the way the game was called, it seemed like a drive to the basket had a 50/50 chance of at least drawing a foul. I was kinda shocked to see that set up for a three let alone having someone who bricked several other shots take it.

On another note, the energy it took simply to get back in the game after starting down 15-2 seemed to really impact the team in the 4th quarter and OT, but then again the OT looked exactly like the start of the game. If they'd played another 20 minutes, Duke would have been down by 30. Given Duke's woes on offense, even with that exceptional defense, all told I think CU was/is simply a better team.
    This was Duke’s game for the taking. Duke was up 4 with 1:30 to go. That is a winnable game. Hit one shot and FTs and Duke likely pulls it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    This was Duke’s game for the taking. Duke was up 4 with 1:30 to go. That is a winnable game. Hit one shot and FTs and Duke likely pulls it out.
    Make the layup at the end of the second period, and the game doesn't see overtime. There are any number of things that could have gone just a little better to win. But the plain truth is we held Colorado to 20 points below their season average, and still couldn't win the game. That needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Make the layup at the end of the second period, and the game doesn't see overtime. There are any number of things that could have gone just a little better to win. But the plain truth is we held Colorado to 20 points below their season average, and still couldn't win the game. That needs to change.
    The D was so good all year- but the start of that game was the biggest issue. Duke gave them confidence and it took the rest of the game for Duke to get a lead. Not sure this team can play D that intensely and still play O effectively. That is for Lawson to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The D was so good all year- but the start of that game was the biggest issue. Duke gave them confidence and it took the rest of the game for Duke to get a lead. Not sure this team can play D that intensely and still play O effectively. That is for Lawson to figure out.
    In this game Duke expended so much energy in fighting back, which was mostly from points off of turnovers, that they had little energy left for offense. In the few instances where they settled the ball for a set play they were all gasping for air and although they got decent shots they were all way off. Duke chose to prioritize defense, somewhat to the detriment of the offense, but that may have been the best tradeoff considering the players' capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    Duke really fell apart in the OT.

Also, attendance looked pitiful.
    Apparently our attendance was the worst of the 16 games in this round and the next worst school more than doubled our attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Apparently our attendance was the worst of the 16 games in this round and the next worst school more than doubled our attendance.
    That may be, but I can tell you that was one of the most enthusiastic crowds of the whole year. I've been to almost all the games, and I'm clearly one of the few. The opening game was played at 11:00am on a weekday, and you pretty much could have heard a pin drop. I have a general admission season ticket, and for the vast majority of the season I could get there ten minutes before tip and sit five row up at dead center court. There were times when I felt the people cheering consisted of pretty much the band and me.

There are a couple of reasons for that, first and foremost of which is that the team has been fairly lousy for the last five years, and even when they were good just before that, the culture was bad, so there were people who were interested in women's college basketball who flat-out refused to come. Secondly, the marketing for the women's team is not so hot. They held pre-game season ticket holder events, but the majority of the season ticket holders - already a fairly small group - didn't know about them until the very last one. Even at that last one, the assistant coach who was supposed to come speak was so late to the event that he spoke for less than five minutes, then answered exactly three questions before he had to leave again. They haven't figured out how to attract students to game at all, and there's no student culture for the women. There was back at the beginning of the McCallie years, but that eroded away as the team became both less and less relevant, and less and less fun to watch.

That's all repairable, but it takes time and effort to build back the good will and enthusiasm. Honestly, Monday night was a pretty good start, and I think it is was fairly damaging from that perspective for the team to drop that game. When you the fans finally show up, it's really important to send them home happy. It was a good game, but it could have done so much more for the program if we'd been able to win it. Hopefully, it's just the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    That's all repairable, but it takes time and effort to build back the good will and enthusiasm. Honestly, Monday night was a pretty good start, and I think it is was fairly damaging from that perspective for the team to drop that game. When you the fans finally show up, it's really important to send them home happy. It was a good game, but it could have done so much more for the program if we'd been able to win it. Hopefully, it's just the start.
    You forget the attention span of the American populace. But absolutely right that it's going to take some time and results. Mind-boggling that the athletic department isn't taking better care of the situation.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    As mentioned previously, Duke was on spring break.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As mentioned previously, Duke was on spring break.
    No, the students were back.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    1600 undergrad seats. 7714 other seats.

Students won't be clamoring to do much on their first day back...but the lack of BIS upstairs is significantly more impactful anyway. It will take time for the interest in DWB to climb back to where it once was.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

Students won't be clamoring to do much on their first day back...but the lack of BIS upstairs is significantly more impactful anyway. It will take time for the interest in DWB to climb back to where it once was.
    I simply stated a fact in response to a post. And just minutes earlier had stated that it's going to take time and results for BIS, as you put it.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Classes resumed Monday, which was the day of the game. Students were off for the Iona game.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

I completely agree, but the student buy-in is crucial, as it makes the games a lot more fun. It's not a true Cameron environment if there aren't enough bodies below the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Classes resumed Monday, which was the day of the game. Students were off for the Iona game.
    Yes, but the post was about the Colorado game, not the Iona game.

Why the hell can't people just admit they mis-posted? I wasn't condemning you, only correcting you and providing pertinent facts to the board.