Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

ACC outlasts SEC, B1G, Big 12, and the conference of champions

Real possibility ACC has no teams in Sweet 16. Pitt is in trouble now and who knows if Miami can win later today.

Since 1980, the ACC has been represented in which is an amazing streak. Us old guys remember Black Sunday in March 1979 when both Duke and Cheats were upset in 1st round (which was round of 32 for both teams). That year only two teams from any conference made the tourney.

But remember, March performance DEFINITELY is/isn't a fair indicator of a conference'a strength.

Just look at this/last year for proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    But remember, March performance DEFINITELY is/isn't a fair indicator of a conference'a strength.

Just look at this/last year for proof.
    Yep. The conference wasn’t as good as our tourney results would suggest last year. It probably IS about as good as our results suggest this year (0-1 top-16 teams; 2-3 top-32 teams) but that is a fluke. And there certainly have also been years when the conference was clearly better than the tourney results.

But the Ivy League was DEFINITELY underrated…or am I doing this wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    But the Ivy League was DEFINITELY underrated…or am I doing this wrong?
    Ivy League is now one of the P5. Get on board or get out of the way.

Whatever. No team in the ACC cheers for Duke as an ACC representative. I'm happy to return the favor. All these conferences are about to blow up anyway.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Whatever. No team in the ACC cheers for Duke as an ACC representative. I'm happy to return the favor. All these conferences are about to blow up anyway.
    Yep. I used to care about how the conference does (aside from UNC). I have grown out of that. I don’t like Miami, so I see no reason to cheer for them. I respect UVa but I see no reason to cheer for them. I will root a bit for Pitt due to Capel, but no moreso than I root for Northwestern due to Collins.

Winning the ACC tournament is a curse. Can’t remember the last champion to make a run in NCAA tournament

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Winning the ACC tournament is a curse. Can’t remember the last champion to make a run in NCAA tournament
    You have to go all the way back to… 2019.

Fairleigh Dickinson is undefeated in the tournament and they didn’t even win their league. Clearly whichever conference they play in was underrated and I expect it get at least five bids next season.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Not sure what Big Z meant as a "run". I am gonna infer that he meant a Final Four run, in which case you'd have to go back to 2016.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Isn't it 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Isn't it 2010?
    Assuming the original poster meant won ACC and national championship. Pretty sure 15 ACC national championship winners won 8 ACC tournament championships. By my count they did start out 6-1 though.

There’s a non-zero chance the Big Ten gets shut out of the 2nd weekend too. Possibly comes down to Miami-IU.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    There’s a non-zero chance the Big Ten gets shut out of the 2nd weekend too. Possibly comes down to Miami-IU.
    I think this was just a crap year in college basketball and no one was all that good.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I think this was just a crap year in college basketball and no one was all that good.
    Will the slogan of the national champion be "We sucked less than you did"?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Truth in advertising!

I always root for the ACC non UNC teams in the tourney. I’ll be rooting for Miami this evening. But the ACC has been worshipping at the alter of football money for a while and acting accordingly. It’s disgusting behavior for a historical basketball conference. So afraid of losing Clemson and FSU to the SEC or BIG and getting cut out from the spoils. There’s not much left miss if/when it ends at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Does “one shining moment” become one bruising moment? Queue Rocky music…..

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Does “one shining moment” become one bruising moment? Queue Rocky music…..
    Mo' upsets, mo' money

shiningbball.jpg