Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

On the Court Changes

Most of the talk regarding college basketball changes is about NIL, Transfer portal or NBA eligibility. I wanted a thread to discuss on the court rule changes we want

- Expand to six fouls for a player to foul out. Too many important games are decided by who is in foul trouble or fouls out. With questionable calls lessening the impact of a bad call is to go to this

- Calling less fouls in general

- At least in the tournament add a replay official who can review calls himself regarding the clock and out of bounds calls. This will eliminated the long stoppages toward the end of games

There are more changes I likely haven’t thought of that you guys may want.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Most of the talk regarding college basketball changes is about NIL, Transfer portal or NBA eligibility. I wanted a thread to discuss on the court rule changes we want

- Expand to six fouls for a player to foul out. Too many important games are decided by who is in foul trouble or fouls out. With questionable calls lessening the impact of a bad call is to go to this

- At least in the tournament add a replay official who can review calls himself regarding the clock and out of bounds calls. This will eliminated the long stoppages toward the end of games

"Calling less fouls in general" - you want more games like today's? No thanks!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Yeah, I was just about to post the same thing. The last thing we need is more holding/bumping/grabbing going uncalled.

-jk
    How about let’s arrive at the definition of one first?

Call as many fouls as necessary to guarantee “freedom of movement”. No one wants to watch games that look more like wrestling matches than basketball.

I'd like fewer fouls called because the game is played with the expectation that contact will be called, so contact is avoided.

I'd like to see refs undergoing the kind of ex post analysis and scrutiny that NBA officials undergo so there is some semblance of consistency and accountability.

The problem w todays game wasn’t the number of fouls it was the inconsistency

The problem w todays game wasn’t the number of fouls it was the inconsistency
    It was brutally physical and UT got whistled for 3 fouls in the second half? That's "inconsistency"?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by knicknut View Post
    I'd like fewer fouls called because the game is played with the expectation that contact will be called, so contact is avoided.

I'd like to see refs undergoing the kind of ex post analysis and scrutiny that NBA officials undergo so there is some semblance of consistency and accountability.
    I’m not down with the expectation of calling fewer fouls. But far too many plays on the ball these days are called a foul with an apparent expectation that there just had to be one when no obvious contact took place. It makes the game a huge eyeroll. And then plays off the ball, like moving screens, pushing for positioning often go ignored. Maybe pay more attention to stuff off the ball will result in game flow with less iso and less of a guessing game in the lane.

I’d like to bring back the no call when it comes to block vs charge. Just bc there is contact doesn’t mean there needs to be a foul

Quote Originally Posted by knicknut View Post

UT would have fouled out their starting 5 if the game had been officiated as in the NBA.

I'd welcome more consistency across all flavors of basketball: men/women, college/pro, NBA/international. If real football can do it...

1 out of 3 is ok

- Expand to 6 fouls. NO WAY. I want the game got be less physical more finesse.

- Calling less fouls. Huh. I want to see more fouls called on contact.

-Replay official. OK with me. Speed it up.

I want to Duke in 60s and obviously had good seats. I was fortunate to have good seats in several UCLA games in the 80s or so. i also had a good seat at the ASU/USC game this year. I was amazed at the physical contact. This is not basketball as I grew up watching. And much more evident in person that the 100s of games I have watched on TV. I don 't watch much NBA but am told it is less physical than the NCAA.

I say go ahead and foul out all of the starters out of UVa or UTenn. They will adjust. The game will be better.

SoCal

-jk
    Ditto! Everyone but especially Kyle will be black and blue tomorrow. Had the fouls been called as they should have been, we would still be dancing.

And Tyler Hansborough trolling us after the game…he has the matured so much!

DukeDevilDeb

What about any hit to the neck or head/face is a F1... no such thing as "a basketball play". Hit someone in the face... F1. Players gotta be conscient of other players around him... like the VTech game... celebrate, fine, but be aware of your surroundings. Might help to clean up these "fouls".

As multiple posters already have, I emphatically disagree. The college game is too physical. Any rules changes need to emphasize freedom of movement. Let’s eliminate the grabbing, holding, pushing and elbows flying.

Specifically on six fouls, NBA players get six fouls because the game is eight minutes longer 48 versus 40. That’s one foul every eight minutes in both the NBA and college.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    As multiple posters already have, I emphatically disagree. The college game is too physical. Any rules changes need to emphasize freedom of movement. Let’s eliminate the grabbing, holding, pushing and elbows flying.
    Totally agreed. The college game now looks a lot like the NBA game circa late 90’s/ early 00’s. The NBA realized it had an unwatchable product and changed its rules accordingly. The NCAA needs to follow suit and stick with it. The transition may be awkward but teams will adjust. We want players, not refs or coaches, to decide games, but we also don’t want to watch a 40 minute long scrum.

It was brutally physical and UT got whistled for 3 fouls in the second half? That's "inconsistency"?

-jk
    Well Duke got called for a lot more fouls despite being less physical so I believe that's what people are referencing

Need to start with defining what a foul is and make it clear and conspicuous for the average viewer. Then enforce it consistently.

I’ve watched college basketball for nearly 40 years and some games these days I am not sure what a foul is.

Here is my list
    - four quarters instead of two halves (don’t know why MCBB is the only form of basketball in the world to play halves)
    - clean up moving screens (looking at you, Armando). This is so inconsistently applied I can’t understand what gets called and what doesn’t.
    - return some advantage to the offense, particularly on bumping dribblers and charge calls. The play on Flip yesterday has been called like that all year, but as SVG pointed out (an NBA guy who is used to their superior officiating) it’s bad basketball to get rewarded for just throwing your body in the way of a driver without establishing position. And similarly on secondary defenders drawing charges; I see too many guys sliding under airborne offensive players and getting rewarded. Call those blocks or even no calls.
    - allow replay officials to review and add fouls. It’s pretty dumb when they go to the monitor to see who the ball went out of bounds on, and see a blatant hack but can’t do anything about it. Also give the coaches a challenge or two like the NBA. But at the same time, they need some way to speed this up (on site video review ref, etc)
    - this one will never happen but I think players should get an extra foul allowed if the game goes to OT (ie someone who fouled out in regulation could come back)

I’m actually ok with physical play in the post, but needs to be cleaned up on the perimeter.