Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ns7 View Post
    Well Duke got called for a lot more fouls despite being less physical so I believe that's what people are referencing
    3 fouls in the second half, 4 fouls in the last 26:10. (on TN I mean).

Dear NCAA Rules Committee

You have experimented with the great game of basketball many times over the years. You banned the dunk and brought it back. Freshmen weren't always eligible for varsity competition. You have experimented with shot clocks of varying lengths when some felt that being able to stall and the low scoring games that resulted were not good for the sport or the fans. When you decided to open up the middle and shift the focus away from big men, you tried different distances for the three point line before reaching the current standard. The held ball used to result in a jump ball situation. The bonus free throw became a two shot foul after the tenth foul. I believe I even remember a trial run of six personal fouls in some conferences. And officials now even have the use of video replay in some situations although they still don't always get it right. Some things haven't changed; however, they seem to be ignored: the three second lane violation and five seconds to inbound the basketball. You have changed the closely guarded rule. You allow teams to avoid a ten second violation by calling a timeout. Ironically, most of these changes did not accomplish what was hoped for and led to unintended consequences. Most of all (like the game of football being unable to determine what constitutes a catch), you don't seem to be able to determine what constitutes a foul and as a result, the college game is becoming as unwatchable as its NBA version. Please work on this. I suggest watching some games from two or three decades ago and assess whether they are more enjoyable and truer to what the game of basketball should be.

Games like ours yesterday are almost unwatchable because of the rough play allowed (for one team). Unless reffing changes and becomes consistent, this will continue to be a problem forever.

If the reffing changes to actually calling a foul when it should be called, the games will be unwatchable for about 2 weeks until the coaches and players adapt. Then we can have enjoyable basketball the way it should be played.

For additional homework, learn how to call a travel.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Games like ours yesterday are almost unwatchable because of the rough play allowed (for one team). Unless reffing changes and becomes consistent, this will continue to be a problem forever.

If the reffing changes to actually calling a foul when it should be called, the games will be unwatchable for about 2 weeks until the coaches and players adapt. Then we can have enjoyable basketball the way it should be played.
    They actually tried this some years back but didn't have the stomach to stick with it and backed off part way through the season.

How many "jump balls" were there in the first half? 4? 5? I hate the quick whistle on that call.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    How many "jump balls" were there in the first half? 4? 5? I hate the quick whistle on that call.
    I stole this idea from someone on Twitter, but dump the possession arrow and make them line the players up for a jump ball every time* and watch that call disappear.

*Obviously that is how it started out, just to preempt the inevitable post that interprets this as me thinking this is a "new" idea.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    For additional homework, learn how to call a travel.
    For starters, it's not the call you resort to after a player has been mugged, disrobed and robbed of his/her dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Quite a few jump balls should be called fouls. Blatant contact should not be allowed just because a player eventually gets his hands on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    They actually tried this some years back but didn't have the stomach to stick with it and backed off part way through the season.
    I remember that too, where one year there was an officiating focus on freedom of movement. There was a big backlash to all the fouls that were called -- "Oh, the game is unwatchable! Play is constantly getting stopped!". Seems like kind of a lose-lose situation right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Quite a few jump balls should be called fouls. Blatant contact should not be allowed just because a player eventually gets his hands on the ball.
    And just to vent. I hate when it is said that the hand is part of the ball. This leads to the wrist is and the forearm and the shoulder and eventually the face is part of the ball

Video reviews have unintended negative impacts on the game

I understand the desire to get things right, but something has to be done about the situation with so many video reviews at the end of games. It disrupts the flow of the game. It adds time to the game. Coaches use them as free time out, which is unfair if they don't have any. And when the refs review clock changes, I often wonder if it's worth the time to figure out if there's 14:01 left or 14:04 left, for example. I think there has to be a balance between getting things right and the unintended impacts of trying to get things right.

I have some suggestions:

1. When there is a video review, don't allow the players to go to their benches. Kind of like boxing, they should go to a neutral location. My suggestion would be for players to go to the foul line circle diagonally opposite their bench. This reduces the advantage that teams without timeouts get. And it would also mean teams are more ready to play when the refs make decisions. Now they have to call the teams from their benches, which adds more time. I know teams may then have some kind of signaling to their teams. But that would be set plays, as they could not draw something up on the fly on a whiteboard.

2. Clock problems that require review need to be egregious, like more than 2 seconds left, if there's a lot of time left on the game clock - maybe at least 5 minutes left on the game clock. It often seems the decision on the play is made right away, then the refs go back and forth for longer just trying to figure out if the clock should be adjusted by a second or two. All time is critical, but until there's AI linking the ball to the sidelines, whistles, buzzers, etc. then we need to understand humans are imperfect, and taking so much more time to try to be perfect isn't always necessary.

3. If no other changes are made, then at least reduce 1 timeout per team per game. Only have 3 timeouts, and don't have a use it or lose it timeout in the first half. Teams know they will probably gain a free timeout as I outlined above anyway.

Open to other suggestions.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Ok, I have some ideas that are a bit more radical.

1) Move the 3-point line back to 25 feet
    2) Make every 3-point shot 25 feet or more; in other words, the corner three has to go the way of the dodo. It is WAY too easy
    3) Adopt the Elam ending
    4) Widen the lane at the baseline
    5) Go back to calling three in the key
    6) make the protected area larger
    7) Push the shot clock back to 40 seconds
    8) The penalty for five fouls needs to be harsher, not more lenient. This is a crazy thought, but what if it was kind of like hockey? What if, once a player got five fouls, he had to go to the bench for a minute or two, and during that time couldn't be replaced, so the team had to play 4 on 5? This would really discourage fouling.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Most of the talk regarding college basketball changes is about NIL, Transfer portal or NBA eligibility. I wanted a thread to discuss on the court rule changes we want

- Expand to six fouls for a player to foul out. Too many important games are decided by who is in foul trouble or fouls out. With questionable calls lessening the impact of a bad call is to go to this

- Calling less fouls in general

- At least in the tournament add a replay official who can review calls himself regarding the clock and out of bounds calls. This will eliminated the long stoppages toward the end of games

There are more changes I likely haven’t thought of that you guys may want.
    I disagree with all of these.

I suggest that when refs are viewing the monitor, anything they see should be reviewable. Play is already stopped, why should they be forced to ignore what they see?

Also, all refs should have to have every call reviewed by full-time staff after every game, as in the NBA. The expectation should be that all refs call the game the same. Failure to do so should reseult in the loss of incentive pay.
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    "Calling less fouls in general" - you want more games like today's? No thanks!

-jk
    I absolutely hate how the tournament is officiated. The lack of holding calls allow less skilled but physical teams like MSU to win games when they have no business winning. Basketball is supposed to have freedom of motion. These teams that make it into a rugby match ruin it for skilled teams. The lack of foul calls just makes it worse. The NCAA doesn’t want the best teams to win, they want the most physical team to win it. I HATE IT.

PS how in the world does Tennessee only get 3 fouls called on them in the second half? It’s laughable. Coach Scheyer should just send guys like Blakes out there to press super hard. If they get a few foul calls then scream that the other team isn’t getting any called on them. Maybe that forces tighter and correct officiating