Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank you, team

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I think our team is in good hands.
    To the guys who choose to leave, come back and see us in Cameron next year.
    To the guys who stay, rest up a while and then get ready to rock.
    To the incoming guys, can't wait to welcome you into the fold.
    Hear! Hear!

-jk

For a young team with a rookie head coach, this was a heck of a season.

- We had injuries early to two of our most important freshmen.
    - We had another key freshman not arrive until the school year started.
    - We then had two more injuries midseason to key players that robbed us of continuity.
    - We had the two wonky officiating gaffes that cost us at least onewinandpossibly two.

Yet despite that, we still managed to win the ACCT and hangs banner. We went undefeated at home. And we lost just 4 times all season in which our top eight players were available (Purdue, State, Va Tech, and UVa), and just twice when the team had those players available all game (Purdue and UVa).

It stinks to have the season end this way. But I am pleased that these guys are able to call themselves champions.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    At the start of the season, Duke had a new 1st year coach, injuries to their 5* freshmen, a slew of transfers and one returning letterman of any significance. Now Flip has a great start and becomes a definite player without question. But they go through some tough times with losses to Purdue and Kansas. They beat Ohio State in the Big 10 challenge, but OSU proves to not be a tourney team. Roach plays well assuming the captain's role, but he injures his foot. Duke squeaks by BC on the road but lose to Wake. They get shellacked at NC State and Miami, seemingly not able to hold on to the ball. But they do beat Miami at home and UNC as well (who turns out not to be a tourney team). With those wins plus the Xavier win, I felt they were never in real danger of not getting an at-large bid, but could Duke do anything more? It was a big question. The talent was there, but could they pull it together?

Then things started turning around. They play UVA tough, but the refs' screw up robs them of a real opportunity to win. They take that as fire in their bellies and go on a win streak. They beat the teams they should beat and get momentum. They players find their roles and learn to play together. They stop turning the ball over so much, almost overnight! Lively becomes a defensive force, Proctor learns to run the offense and Whitehead becomes a 3pt threat. Mitchell is the glue guy and the bench is settled with Young and Grandison knowing what they must do. They beat a good NC State team to close out the season at home undefeated. They close out the regular season with the 2nd win over UNC, ruining their senior night and pushing them off the bubble for the tournament (and starting the soap opera-ish drama on IC). Then they have a fabulous ACC tournament, beating Pitt in convincing fashion, then beat Miami and Virginia to capture yet another ACC Championship! They go into the NCAAs on a roll.

They dominate Oral Roberts to get a NCAA win. But they run into a tough Tennessee team. The team plays hard, but its youth shows. It's clear who was the better team on the floor today. The ride ends in a very physical game.

But let’s review:

• New head coach, no previous coaching experience. Who follows the GOAT of NCAA MBB coaches
    • A team made up of one returning letterman, with a bunch of transfers and freshmen.
    • A lot of injuries to start the season to said key freshmen

What could an objective observer really expect then? A natty? A Wooden POY? I think not. After the end of last year, I think at least some of us wondered if UNCHeat would continue its roll.

But we end up with:

• Undefeated at home
    • Double bye in the ACCs, 3rd seed
    • Flip is ROY, and 2nd team All-ACC
    • Lively is All-ACC Defensive Team
    • 3 freshmen on the rookie team
    • ACC Championship, 22nd overall, leading the ACC (4 more than Carolina)
    • Two win sweep over UNC (who doesn’t even make the tourney, which I absolutely relish)
    • First round demolition of Oral Roberts
    • 10-game winning streak in February and March
    • 27-9 record

If someone had asked me if I would take this at the start of the season, I would have thrown my money down right away. I would have loved to make the S16 and beyond, but honestly the two wins over the Cheats and the ACC Tournament championship make up for it, at least to me. Several Duke teams under K didn't make the S16, and they didn't get the other notches on their belt, either. Watching them go on their turnaround and winning streak was so satisfying. And no matter which players stay at Duke, I feel very good about Scheyer as coach. We all know the 2nd season may experience a sophomore slump, but somehow I doubt that will happen. Duke has a great class coming in. I hope a few of the current team stays to create an even better 2023-2024.

Yes, it absolutely sucks to lose. It always does. It will take some time to get over it. But I know all in all, this was a successful season. Thank you, Devils. I wait with eager anticipation for next year!

9F
    What a brilliant and insightful post. I haven’t felt I’ve known the players who were one and done, but this whole team will be in my heart forever. So glad they hang the ACC tournament banner!
    Go Devils!

DukeDevilDeb

Thanks team and especially JR he has hit so many big shots the last 2 years. I hope to see more of Jeremy.

I think our team is in good hands.
    To the guys who choose to leave, come back and see us in Cameron next year.
    To the guys who stay, rest up a while and then get ready to rock.
    To the incoming guys, can't wait to welcome you into the fold.
    Yes, definitely.

I wish we had gone further, but I enjoyed watching this team progress through the year. I really like the players and staff.

Here’s wishing all good health and good fortune un the future.

I really grew to love this squad.

Duke Warriors all! Thank you.

Agree with all the positive takes here. I believe every player on the team advanced their basketball skills, maturity and toughness during the season. Most importantly, they grew together as a team, proving once again that the fist is stronger than five fingers. Working hard, improving, gelling as a team, giving your all on the court - this was a wonderful year for Duke basketball.

I hope Roach stays. It’s great to have guys for four years. Doesn’t happen enough. Grayson is really the last big player who played four years

I've written before that one of the things I used to love about Jon as a player was that he was so smart. It seemed like he virtually always made the right read and the right play.

Some of those same talents have shined through this year with play calling and line-up changes. Mostly, this year has been about never giving up. No matter what. And growth. Every single one of these players has grown tremendously. What a credit to them to just keep working and to buying into Coach Scheyer's vision.

I don't know how many players and coaches read DBR, but guys, we're so damn proud of every single one of you. This is a very, very easy team to love.

And, to Jon, Coach K made the right choice. I'm soooooooooooooooooo glad you are our coach. Your staff is incredible. The young men you recruited to wear Duke blue are remarkable. Another 40-year run looks very, very bright. I can't wait.

Thanks to all of you for an amazing year.

Enjoyed this young team. Even though most will be gone next year, I get the impression they unpacked their bags and were not 100% concerned with draft status. They also focused and cared enough to beat the Cheats twice.

Thanks to everyone

Thanks to the players, the coaching staff, and all the others who make Duke basketball so wonderful! This was a great season and I am so proud of Duke basketball. The future looks bright, too.

Ditto everything above. A great season with a bunch that you could really root for wholeheartedly. And Scheyer drove the success.

As depressed as I am, I can actually see a silver lining. The tourney has been an upset-fest and the route all the way to the FF might have been easier than usual had we beaten UT. I would have loved a trip to the E8 or FF, but this would have set the bar exceedingly high for Scheyer. I think it will take a few years for Jon to reshape the culture of the team through recruiting and transfer portal. A fluky long run in his first year might have led to unrealistic expectations--AKA the Hubie Davis syndrome. I want Scheyer to have that protected time, like K did (thanks, Tom Butters) to build a new Duke legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    ...Grayson is really the last big player who played four years
    His jersey should be hanging in Cameron. And, actually, so should Scheyer's.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

His jersey should be hanging in Cameron. And, actually, so should Scheyer's.

Guess that would be awkward now, but I agree.

thank you, team....and staff !!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by hsheffield View Post
    I have loved this team. They have a lot of heart. I'm grateful for the beginning of this new era in Duke basketball.

thanks, guys!
    100% agree.

1. Swept the Cheats
    2. ACC T Champs
    3. ACC regular season co-champs in my book (everyone knows the UVA game was stolen from us.)
    4. Great kids and coaching staff representing our University
    5. 100% class all the time

This is a fantastic season that I will remember fondly.
    The Gordog

The Jersey that should be hanging in the rafters
    for years is #34, Jim Spanarkel. I feel this more
    and more every year listening to him in the NCAA
    tournament. Jimmy had 4 great years and was
    captain of the team that bridged great Duke
    basketball eras. Spanarkel is now in his mid 60’s.
    He should never be forgotten! A great and heady
    play was known as “Spanarkeling”. Do the right
    thing Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    100% agree.

1. Swept the Cheats
    2. ACC T Champs
    3. ACC regular season co-champs in my book (everyone knows the UVA game was stolen from us.)
    4. Great kids and coaching staff representing our University
    5. 100% class all the time

This is a fantastic season that I will remember fondly.
    I'm with Gordog. And it was my last year as a season ticket holder after 60 wonderful years - a great way to go out. Thanks guys!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Guff View Post
    The Jersey that should be hanging in the rafters
    for years is #34, Jim Spanarkel. I feel this more
    and more every year listening to him in the NCAA
    tournament. Jimmy had 4 great years and was
    captain of the team that bridged great Duke
    basketball eras. Spanarkel is now in his mid 60’s.
    He should never be forgotten! A great and heady
    play was known as “Spanarkeling”. Do the right
    thing Duke!
    I agree with you. In addition Jim was the 1st ever ACC Rookie of the Year in 1976. (He was followed by Mike Giminski (co with Hawkeye Whitney) (1977) and Gene Banks (1978).