Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank you, team

Thank you, team

I have loved this team. They have a lot of heart. I'm grateful for the beginning of this new era in Duke basketball.

thanks, guys!

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I think we’re all going to remember this squad quite fondly in a decade or so. They’ve built a really solid foundation on which Jon can build HIS program going forward. And they did it despite facing a heck of a lot of adversity for such a young team.

Thank you all. For those who leave, go kill it playing professionally. For those who stay, bring a massive chip on your shoulder and let’s get better next year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

This team had a lot of grit and faced so much adversity.

27 wins
    Swept the Heels
    ACC Champs

I'll take it. I'm very proud of them and I'm excited for the Scheyer era to continue unfolding

Aboslutely agree. . .

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    This team had a lot of grit and faced so much adversity.

27 wins
    Swept the Heels
    ACC Champs

I'll take it. I'm very proud of them and I'm excited for the Scheyer era to continue unfolding
    . . .compared to where we were at the beginning of the season, the way the Freshmen matured and how Jon figured out how to get the best out of them bodes very well for our future. Now we'll see who stays (no one, likely enough) and how next year's crop does.

At the start of the season, Duke had a new 1st year coach, injuries to their 5* freshmen, a slew of transfers and one returning letterman of any significance. Now Flip has a great start and becomes a definite player without question. But they go through some tough times with losses to Purdue and Kansas. They beat Ohio State in the Big 10 challenge, but OSU proves to not be a tourney team. Roach plays well assuming the captain's role, but he injures his foot. Duke squeaks by BC on the road but lose to Wake. They get shellacked at NC State and Miami, seemingly not able to hold on to the ball. But they do beat Miami at home and UNC as well (who turns out not to be a tourney team). With those wins plus the Xavier win, I felt they were never in real danger of not getting an at-large bid, but could Duke do anything more? It was a big question. The talent was there, but could they pull it together?

Then things started turning around. They play UVA tough, but the refs' screw up robs them of a real opportunity to win. They take that as fire in their bellies and go on a win streak. They beat the teams they should beat and get momentum. They players find their roles and learn to play together. They stop turning the ball over so much, almost overnight! Lively becomes a defensive force, Proctor learns to run the offense and Whitehead becomes a 3pt threat. Mitchell is the glue guy and the bench is settled with Young and Grandison knowing what they must do. They beat a good NC State team to close out the season at home undefeated. They close out the regular season with the 2nd win over UNC, ruining their senior night and pushing them off the bubble for the tournament (and starting the soap opera-ish drama on IC). Then they have a fabulous ACC tournament, beating Pitt in convincing fashion, then beat Miami and Virginia to capture yet another ACC Championship! They go into the NCAAs on a roll.

They dominate Oral Roberts to get a NCAA win. But they run into a tough Tennessee team. The team plays hard, but its youth shows. It's clear who was the better team on the floor today. The ride ends in a very physical game.

But let’s review:

• New head coach, no previous coaching experience. Who follows the GOAT of NCAA MBB coaches
    • A team made up of one returning letterman, with a bunch of transfers and freshmen.
    • A lot of injuries to start the season to said key freshmen

What could an objective observer really expect then? A natty? A Wooden POY? I think not. After the end of last year, I think at least some of us wondered if UNCHeat would continue its roll.

But we end up with:

• Undefeated at home
    • Double bye in the ACCs, 3rd seed
    • Flip is ROY, and 2nd team All-ACC
    • Lively is All-ACC Defensive Team
    • 3 freshmen on the rookie team
    • ACC Championship, 22nd overall, leading the ACC (4 more than Carolina)
    • Two win sweep over UNC (who doesn’t even make the tourney, which I absolutely relish)
    • First round demolition of Oral Roberts
    • 10-game winning streak in February and March
    • 27-9 record

If someone had asked me if I would take this at the start of the season, I would have thrown my money down right away. I would have loved to make the S16 and beyond, but honestly the two wins over the Cheats and the ACC Tournament championship make up for it, at least to me. Several Duke teams under K didn't make the S16, and they didn't get the other notches on their belt, either. Watching them go on their turnaround and winning streak was so satisfying. And no matter which players stay at Duke, I feel very good about Scheyer as coach. We all know the 2nd season may experience a sophomore slump, but somehow I doubt that will happen. Duke has a great class coming in. I hope a few of the current team stays to create an even better 2023-2024.

Yes, it absolutely sucks to lose. It always does. It will take some time to get over it. But I know all in all, this was a successful season. Thank you, Devils. I wait with eager anticipation for next year!

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    At the start of the season, Duke had a new 1st year coach, injuries to their 5* freshmen, a slew of transfers and one returning letterman of any significance. Now Flip has a great start and becomes a definite player without question. But they go through some tough times with losses to Purdue and Kansas. They beat Ohio State in the Big 10 challenge, but OSU proves to not be a tourney team. Roach plays well assuming the captain's role, but he injures his foot. Duke squeaks by BC on the road but lose to Wake. They get shellacked at NC State and Miami, seemingly not able to hold on to the ball. But they do beat Miami at home and UNC as well (who turns out not to be a tourney team). With those wins plus the Xavier win, I felt they were never in real danger of not getting an at-large bid, but could Duke do anything more? It was a big question. The talent was there, but could they pull it together?

Then things started turning around. They play UVA tough, but the refs' screw up robs them of a real opportunity to win. They take that as fire in their bellies and go on a win streak. They beat the teams they should beat and get momentum. They players find their roles and learn to play together. They stop turning the ball over so much, almost overnight! Lively becomes a defensive force, Proctor learns to run the offense and Whitehead becomes a 3pt threat. Mitchell is the glue guy and the bench is settled with Young and Grandison knowing what they must do. They beat a good NC State team to close out the season at home undefeated. They close out the regular season with the 2nd win over UNC, ruining their senior night and pushing them off the bubble for the tournament (and starting the soap opera-ish drama on IC). Then they have a fabulous ACC tournament, beating Pitt in convincing fashion, then beat Miami and Virginia to capture yet another ACC Championship! They go into the NCAAs on a roll.

They dominate Oral Roberts to get a NCAA win. But they run into a tough Tennessee team. The team plays hard, but its youth shows. It's clear who was the better team on the floor today. The ride ends in a very physical game.

But let’s review:

• New head coach, no previous coaching experience. Who follows the GOAT of NCAA MBB coaches
    • A team made up of one returning letterman, with a bunch of transfers and freshmen.

What could an objective observer really expect then? A natty? A Wooden POY? I think not. After the end of last year, I think at least some of us wondered if UNCHeat would continue its roll.

But we end up with:

• Undefeated at home
    • Two win sweep over UNC (who doesn’t even make the tourney, which I absolutely relish)
    • 27-9 record

If someone had asked me if I would take this at the start of the season, I would have thrown my money down right away. I would have loved to make the S16 and beyond, but honestly the two wins over the Cheats and the ACC Tournament championship make up for it, at least to me. Several Duke teams under K didn't make the S16, and they didn't get the other notches on their belt, either. Watching them go on their turnaround and winning streak was so satisfying. And no matter which players stay at Duke, I feel very good about Scheyer as coach. We all know the 2nd season may experience a sophomore slump, but somehow I doubt that will happen. Duke has a great class coming in. I hope a few of the current team stays to create an even better 2023-2024.

Yes, it absolutely sucks to lose. It always does. It will take some time to get over it. But I know all in all, this was a successful season. Thank you, Devils. I wait with eager anticipation for next year!

9F
    So, so well said. It's pretty hard to have perspective right now with a bad taste in our mouths, but this is how this team will be remembered. It overcame a heck of a lot of adversity to win a championship in Jon's first year, with a historically young team that had historically bad injury (not to mention refereeing) luck.

And the bonus of seemingly driving young Tar Heels en masse to the transfer portal, leaving their cupboard pretty bare, could be felt for years to come.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

i'm sad, but not devastated...(99/04)

congrats to this team and to Jon and his staff....

next year will be awesome... I know
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post

But let’s review:

But we end up with:

• Undefeated at home
    • 27-9 record

9F
    Agree on every level. No shame in this team. Or on coaches. Honestly, Tennessee might have been our worst matchup of the remaining 32 teams.

I enjoyed this season. I love how we reacted to difficulty. Good guys, fun basketball.

Today, our offense never looked right. Not for any three straight possessions. Props to Tennessee for that. They were literally stronger and flexed that all game.

I never relish playing a Rick Barnes team. But he is a great coach.

I enjoyed this season so much more than last. We have lots of reasons to be optimistic going forward.

Beautifully said Mtn Devil. I agree with all you wrote.

Yep, I didn't take this loss too badly. It was clear in the first five minutes that Duke had a tough hill to climb: a very tough matchup. But very happy that this team gelled toward the end of the season, and played some exceptional games with everyone healthy. Sad for the revolving door to come, with massive roster changes.

Thank you, Blue Devils, for a fun season. You matured as a team and looked like you enjoyed playing together. Best of luck in your future endeavors. (Would love to see s lot of you back in a Blue Devil uniform next year.)

After that NC State loss, my expectations for this team were that they'd be lucky to win a tournament game. They weren't the most fun to watch. They were injured and discombobulated. But man did they grow. They grew into a truly elite team. It sucks that it had to end that way but I grew to appreciate and enjoy this team. Amazing season. Undefeated at home. Should've been the regular season champs. Won the ACC tourny.

I had a great time with these guys this year! Thanks boys!!

Thank you all for this thread. I really felt like this team was filled with guys I really enjoyed watching. Whatever they do going forward I’m happy for each of them to be part of the Brotherhood.

Yes, I feel like this team reached it's potential, given the injuries issues etc that plagued us all year. Feels similar to 2016, when that team left it all out there and got as far as they could. They accomplished all that can be reasonably expected out of them.

But I would reserve any talk about this team setting the foundation for the future unless at least 2 if not 3 starters come back to impart what they learned this year to next year's freshmen class, so we can have the continuity that Coach Scheyer talked about. If it's another everyone moves on situation again, then it's disingenuous to say there is a foundation laid for anything.

Wondaful year. Thank you players and coaches. Well done. And yes, I'm always sad when it ends.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

This team really grew on me this year. My only disappointment is I thought at the end we were playing as well as anyone. I do wish the college game was less physical.

Thanks for providing us with some great entertainment. Hope all the players have great futures in whatever they chose.

SoCal

Great way to close the regular season and the ACC tourney. Didn’t get to watch the game today, glad I didn’t. Surprised that the outcome was so lopsided. The road to the FF was paved in gold. This team grew on me too. Flip may be one of my all time favs with his tenacity and refusing to quit, even when punched in the throat and taken down from behind at the buzzer. Gritty, skilled, and gifted player. I was frustrated at how the team was trending at the front half of the season and had high expectations for Lively. And then he showed how good he is at blocks and rebounding. But more importantly, how wonderful of a positive spirit he is for his team. Honestly, the guy is a great role model at such a young age. He and his Mom deserve and have earned the success that is coming his way in the draft. Scheyer won the ACC tourney. And will learn from today. No matter what this team, coaching staff, and Duke basketball is worthy of kudos — this year was about showing that the quality of this program and the people who make the culture, is strong for the future. Last post for the season. Peace out!!

Yes thanks for a great year!!!!!

I think our team is in good hands.
    To the guys who choose to leave, come back and see us in Cameron next year.
    To the guys who stay, rest up a while and then get ready to rock.
    To the incoming guys, can't wait to welcome you into the fold.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'