Page 8 of 88 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    When Young announced he was coming back I was pretty ecstatic, and I still like that we’ll have him for another year but I’m less optimistic that he and Reeves will be “enough.” After being our offensive anchor for the first half of the season he has fallen off so much, I no longer see him as a starting caliber center. We’ll hopefully have better shooting around him next season but even with Stewart playing some minutes at the 5 I think we need to go after a portal big and let Young continue coming off the bench.
    I love having Ryan. But I think the truth of the matter is that he was really good against lower quality, less athletic teams and much less able to do anything against the higher quality, more athletic ones. Basically unplayable today, for instance.

I too have major doubts about whether Reeves will be ready to be a meaningful contributor next year, much less start. He showed nothing even close to that this year. If Flip leaves, we should go portaling for another big.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    McClain also dominated Bronny last week
    You may be right, though I thought someone had posted a link to a story about Foster dominating several times lately. The story line was that Foster was unhappy that he’d missed being named a McD All-Am because Bronny was selected, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    You may be right, though I thought someone had posted a link to a story about Foster dominating several times lately. The story line was that Foster was unhappy that he’d missed being named a McD All-Am because Bronny was selected, instead.
    You are correct it was Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Injuries happen- not sure why you are dismissing the accomplishments of this team. Even if Scheyer goes to the portal- it will still be a young team. It will take several years before this shifts toward a more experienced team and even then UNC had a very experienced team and they certainly did not win in March.
    I'm not dismissing the accomplishments of this team. I stated a fact. We benefited from injuries to our opponents much like we were hampered today by an injury to one of our key players. It is a part of the game. We had a great season, considering we had one starter back with 11 new players. I would say that 27 wins that included an ACC Championship was a great accomplishment, considering that we played so much of the season without a full complement of players because of...injuries. We were actually 18-1 when we were fully healthy.

UNC lost quite a few games in January or February too. Clemson had an experienced team. Rutgers had an experienced team. Wake had an experienced team. You have to have talent too.

If Jon goes to the portal, it will be according to who he brings in as to whether we can judge whether our top 7 rotation will be young or not. A lot depends on the decisions of 5 of our top 7 players this spring. I'm hoping we buck history.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I love having Ryan. But I think the truth of the matter is that he was really good against lower quality, less athletic teams and much less able to do anything against the higher quality, more athletic ones. Basically unplayable today, for instance.

I too have major doubts about whether Reeves will be ready to be a meaningful contributor next year, much less start. He showed nothing even close to that this year. If Flip leaves, we should go portaling for another big.
    We’ll have Stewart. We’re not going to portal for another big.

Have we brought in a difference making transfer since Seth Curry ?

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Who is Bronny’s Dad?
    Battier?

Rodney Hood. But also pre-portal.

Ryan Young.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Ryan Young.
    Lol !

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    I'm not dismissing the accomplishments of this team. I stated a fact. We benefited from injuries to our opponents much like we were hampered today by an injury to one of our key players. It is a part of the game. We had a great season, considering we had one starter back with 11 new players. I would say that 27 wins that included an ACC Championship was a great accomplishment, considering that we played so much of the season without a full complement of players because of...injuries. We were actually 18-1 when we were fully healthy.

UNC lost quite a few games in January or February too. Clemson had an experienced team. Rutgers had an experienced team. Wake had an experienced team. You have to have talent too.

If Jon goes to the portal, it will be according to who he brings in as to whether we can judge whether our top 7 rotation will be young or not. A lot depends on the decisions of 5 of our top 7 players this spring. I'm hoping we buck history.
    Old players does make an old team. Teams need experience playing as a unit. Teams need time to gel regardless of the age of the individual players.

I won’t be disappointed with Jeremy’s decision unless he were to transfer which would be weird. He’s got a good resource to consult in his HS teammate, Trevor Keels. Quinn Cook’s career is very likely his ceiling. Quinn’s done well but how fun is clapping on the bench compared with being the man? I know nothing of his NIL potential but I don’t see what the hurry is to leave. There is no question that he starts if he returns.

Good to hear that Proctor is not dead set on being OAD. If one of Roach and Proctor stay along with one of Flip and Mitchell, Duke will be stacked next year. More than that seems like too much to hope for.

Lol !
    Ryan hasn’t made a difference? I strongly disagree.

Projected 2023-24 Roster

Incoming Freshmen:

Caleb Foster (CG)
    Jared McCain (CG)
    Mackenzie Mgbako (F)
    TJ Power (PF)
    Sean Stewart (PF)

Returners:
    Mark Mitchell
    Tyrese Proctor
    Ryan Young
    Jaylen Blakes
    Christian Reeves
    Jaden Schutt

Transfer(s)?

Assuming Filipowski, Lively, Whitehead and Roach leave...that leaves two open scholarships; look for us to fill those voids via the transfer portal.
    Mitchell and Proctor could also jump for the NBA, so we should keep an eye on them moving forward. Purely speculation, but I wouldn't be shocked if Blakes and/or Schutt entered the transfer portal.

What do you guys think? I'd imagine Mark stays another year, but think Tyrese could be gone. If both stay, then I really like our team next year.
    GTHC

Question

If I had a relative who played basketball at Duke and was projected to be near the top of the NBA draft, I would advise him to come out unless he absolutely loved it at Duke and could not see himself elsewhere.

If I had a relative who played basketball at Duke and was projected as a late first rounder or second, then I would advise him to stay at Duke unless he absolutely hated it at Duke and had to be elsewhere.

Not sure where any of our guys stand regarding love/hate Duke but none are projected as lottery picks. I know they are not all staying and I wish those that leave the best. And some players way outperform their draft position.

SoCal

Have you folks looked at any mock drafts. None of our guys are projected as lottery picks. That doesn't always mean much, but usually a good indicator if someone is going. Actually mock drafts were pretty rough for Duke guys.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/
    https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2023-nba-mock-draft/
    Most friendly to Duke players is below.
    https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...adline-edition

Between graduation, NBA, and transfers, I really think Ryan Young will be our only returning rotation player.

NBA/ G league: Lively, Flip, Roach, Mitchell, Whitehead, Proctor
    Transfers: Schutt (for sure), Blakes (likely)

It’s going to be a fresh new team again next year.
    Hopefully Scheyer will hold to the philosophy he espoused a lot going after more multi year players.

I hope he continues to develop a longer bench. It was promising earlier in the year, but only 7 guys ended up getting meaningful minutes down the stretch. We need at least 8-9 players with 10+ min each to account for the upcoming injuries we are sure to get, as we often do.

Honestly I the whole starting squad test the waters to see where they go. I think it's to hard to project right now. Nobody played like a slam dunk lottery pick.

I wish Bleacher Report was reliable. We’d be set with Mark and Tyrese returning.

https://apple.news/ArsbVWSrFTXuGBOIphxmZcQ

I think Roach will either be the first to announce he is returning or wait to be the last to decide