Page 59 of 88 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1750
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, it definitely FEELS like they are setting it up to be a return. That said, Keels was last to decide last year.

I would guess Lively goes next (and declares). And then Flip last. And like you said, boy would that be a frustrating way to do it if Flip says he is going. Not surprising at all, but annoying in terms of order.
    You left out Roach.

I certainly won’t rule it out entirely, but it feels like a tough path. Proctor is clearly ahead of him, and the two 5-star freshmen are not likely to be pushed to the fringe of the rotation. Nor is Mitchell. Those 4 right there are likely to eat up the vast majority of the 120 PG/SG/SF minutes.

I could see him carving out like 8-10 mpg, but I fear it will be tough to get much more than that. Yes, Blakes averaged 12-13 mpg this year, but that was largely injury-driven. He was essentially out of the rotation this year once Roach and Whitehead were both back in the lineup.
    Or 80 mins at the 1/2. You have to think Proctor gets 30+ of those. That leaves 50 mins for Foster, Mccain, Blakes, and Schutt.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Same here! If anything, that “We ain’t done” means these 3 are the only 3 returning, and they have unfinished business, NOT that Duke isn’t done announcing returning players.

But hey- getting Tyrese and Mark back are huge surprises to me. Very unexpected. I’m really happy with it, but would be monumentally surprised if anyone else from this year returns.
    It would not be surprising at all if Blakes, Reeves, and/or Schutt return. It would be normal. Most Duke freshmen that were ranked where those players were ranked coming out of high school become sophomores at Duke. There are too many to name. Really only Jordan Tucker comes to mind. Most sophomores become juniors. Blakes could be the most likely to transfer since there is a glut of primary ball handlers on the roster next year. Still, it would be rare for a player like him to transfer from Duke after 2 years.

I guess you should be prepared to be monumentally surprised. Well, you can't be prepared to be surprised, I suppose. I will prepare myself for your reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    If Blakes continues to improve on D, then he may get substantial PT.
    I certainly won’t rule it out entirely, but it feels like a tough path... I could see him carving out like 8-10 mpg, but I fear it will be tough to get much more than that. Yes, Blakes averaged 12-13 mpg this year, but that was largely injury-driven.
    My recommendation to Blakes and Scheyer is the same for ‘23-‘24 as it was for ‘22-‘23: Blakes should redshirt. There are even fewer minutes for him next season than there were late this past season. He can be a key figure in the transition to Scheyer’s reported changing recruiting philosophy. He, Schutt, and Reeves can be, I hope, transition guys, each playing significant minutes as juniors and seniors.

Blakes can captain the Duke University men’s basketball team as a key reserve in his RS Jr season, ‘24-‘25. He can captain and start in his RS Sr year, ‘25-‘26. That should be his goal. Maybe improve his O (handle and shooting) enough to play in Europe.

I don’t expect Blakes and Scheyer to follow my recommendation. More’s the pity.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    You left out Roach.
    Yep, Roach before Flip… IF Flip is returning.

Yep. If you are going to rebuild a contender for next year, it doesn’t hurt to start with 210 starts and 3100 points returning.

To be clear, they definitely have work to do still. But they aren’t starting from a terrible place.
    It actually is a really terrible place though. Have you been there? Trust me, it sucks.

I certainly won’t rule it out entirely, but it feels like a tough path. Proctor is clearly ahead of him, and the two 5-star freshmen are not likely to be pushed to the fringe of the rotation. Nor is Mitchell. Those 4 right there are likely to eat up the vast majority of the 120 PG/SG/SF minutes.

I could see him carving out like 8-10 mpg, but I fear it will be tough to get much more than that. Yes, Blakes averaged 12-13 mpg this year, but that was largely injury-driven. He was essentially out of the rotation this year once Roach and Whitehead were both back in the lineup.
    No doubt, your scenario is most likely. However, if either of the two 5-star freshmen fail to play solid D, then they’re probably splinter prone. I suspect D will be prioritized next season with substantial on-ball pressure to offset Lively’s loss.

My speculative guess is Kyle, Schutt, Reeves return
    Lively enters draft and Jeremy departs for pro route even if it’s overseas
    Blakes enter’s transfer portal. Based on pure instinct and incoming freshmen class. Duke might go for Holmes. Makes for a solid 9-10 rotation

With 3 announcements still expected (Lively, Roach and Flip), I wonder if announcement releases get put on pause until next week to get through FF weekend and the NCG?

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    With 3 announcements still expected (Lively, Roach and Flip), I wonder if announcement releases get put on pause until next week to get through FF weekend and the NCG?
    And something else happened last evening that may suck up the news cycle…with the potential of Tuesday doing the same. Maybe end of next week?

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    And something else happened last evening that may suck up the news cycle…with the potential of Tuesday doing the same. Maybe end of next week?
    Duke returns aren't front page news anywhere but here lol

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    My recommendation to Blakes and Scheyer is the same for ‘23-‘24 as it was for ‘22-‘23: Blakes should redshirt. There are even fewer minutes for him next season than there were late this past season. He can be a key figure in the transition to Scheyer’s reported changing recruiting philosophy. He, Schutt, and Reeves can be, I hope, transition guys, each playing significant minutes as juniors and seniors.

Blakes can captain the Duke University men’s basketball team as a key reserve in his RS Jr season, ‘24-‘25. He can captain and start in his RS Sr year, ‘25-‘26. That should be his goal. Maybe improve his O (handle and shooting) enough to play in Europe.

I don’t expect Blakes and Scheyer to follow my recommendation. More’s the pity.
    This is an interesting idea, but has it ever happened before? I know sometimes kids redshirt in the middle of their career for injury reasons, or for transfers in the pre-Covid days, but I think just doing it for program continuity would be a first. I like it though, why not right?
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    Yep. The vagina candle lady winning that $1 suit for the skiing incident was crazy!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Yep. The vagina candle lady winning that $1 suit for the skiing incident was crazy!!!!!
    Exactly. 😎

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    That's my guess as well. After the championship makes sense for the next announcement. I'd imagine the staff is in Houston for the weekend.

I....I know this is about Gwyneth Paltrow but I don't know about...whatever that is....

Anyway, if the pattern holds, today should be Lively declaring.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I...I know this is about Gwyneth Paltrow but I don't know about...whatever that is...

Anyway, if the pattern holds, today should be Lively declaring.
    You're welcome!

I think we get an announcement from Lively today saying that he’s gone. Roach will say he’s staying on Monday. Flip gone on Tuesday. Holmes transfers on Wednesday. Foster reopens recruitment by the end of next week.

… I don’t understand what the heck anyone is talking about anymore.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    … I don’t understand what the heck anyone is talking about anymore.
    It's only been the "offseason" for two weeks and the board has already collectively gone insane. New record?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!