Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I think Lively II, Whitehead, and Roach are locks to go play professional basketball. I’d put Flip at an 80% chance to leave. I’d put Proctor at a 75% chance to leave. I’d put Mitchell at a 50% chance to leave. I think one of Blakes or Schutt could transfer. Grandison is gone. Can Young return and will he?
    Young can, and by all indications will, return, as evidenced by the fact that he wasn't honored alongside Grandison et. al. on senior night. I think the staff would be very confident with a combination of him, Reeves, and incomer Sean Stewart at the 5 next year... I doubt we go after anyone in the portal because you aren't going to be able to promise them anything more than 15-20 minutes a game, and that's if you take those minutes away from Reeves, a guy the staff seems to be very high on as a multi-year contributor.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

6’0 off guards down get drafted. Roach is a college player not nba player

After today's game, what incentive to any of our players have to come back? I mean they work all season long and their season is ended by whatever decision was made by the NCAA for the officiating crew not to call fouls. If you're on the bubble, do you really come back knowing that you could work for another year and just get jobbed again?

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Personally, I thought Flip demonstrated toughness and determination to go along with his skill set and mobility. The NBA will see a 7 footer with great potential

Lively is likely gone. At 7'1" with his mobility, length and athleticism, he to will be in demand in the NBA.

Whitehead is a 6'7" shooting guard candidate that might well get drafted on potential

Proctor has the height and handle to interest the NBA but maybe not enough to put him high on the NBA draft list.

Mitchell might also be of interest as his defense, length and mobility as very good.

Roach may go, but not to the NBA.

Of our players, it will be lively, Flip and Whitehead who will get tantalizing offers.
    Are you saying you think Roach could transfer? Or go to Europe/somewhere else to play pro?

Potential draft position will dictate a lot.
    The last drafted player in round one is guaranteed a rookie contract starting just north of 2M.
    Doubt our NIL deals match that.

But if dropping to second round, dollars plummet and they arent even guaranteed.

The NBA teams also have to weigh the likelihood that any of this current Duke roster would require G League work for a year or two before being NBA ready.

Does a GM waste first round pick/dollars on a risk like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Why does a team that can't get out of the 1st weekend in the tournament have that many players that the NBA would covet?
    There is a big difference between “didn’t get out of the first weekend” and “can’t or couldn’t get out of the first weekend”. But I guess in your worldview, the nba scouts will be calling fdu and fau instead of duke. Such a weird take.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I think Lively II, Whitehead, and Roach are locks to go play professional basketball. I’d put Flip at an 80% chance to leave. I’d put Proctor at a 75% chance to leave. I’d put Mitchell at a 50% chance to leave. I think one of Blakes or Schutt could transfer. Grandison is gone. Can Young return and will he?
    you have apparently missed the entire thread that Young himself announced that he is staying.

Neither Mitchell nor Proctor are ready for the NBA, but both might be ready to grow in the G-League. NIL $$ $ will likely be bigger at Duke than whatever they can get in G-League.

I know everybody is saying that Roach is a lock to be gone, but he won't get drafted and could start earning paltry salary in the G-League, and maybe a bit more in Europe. His best financial play is to stay at Duke and earn NIL money. I know that professional development will be faster in any professional setting than at Duke, but there's probably a lot more money available at Duke for Roach, Proctor, and Mitchell than any of their other options.

If Flip gets the indication that he's gonna get drafted in the 1st round, he should probably go.

Young is coming back iirc correctly he already switched or is planning to switch to the two year program at Duke

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    6’0 off guards down get drafted. Roach is a college player not nba player
    There are plenty of other professional leagues other than the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    you have apparently missed the entire thread that Young himself announced that he is staying.

Neither Mitchell nor Proctor are ready for the NBA, but both might be ready to grow in the G-League. NIL $$ $ will likely be bigger at Duke than whatever they can get in G-League.

I know everybody is saying that Roach is a lock to be gone, but he won't get drafted and could start earning paltry salary in the G-League, and maybe a bit more in Europe. His best financial play is to stay at Duke and earn NIL money. I know that professional development will be faster in any professional setting than at Duke, but there's probably a lot more money available at Duke for Roach, Proctor, and Mitchell than any of their other options.

If Flip gets the indication that he's gonna get drafted in the 1st round, he should probably go.
    My thoughts as well... I don't understand why people are assuming JRoach is leaving. I'd imagine he comes back, but that's just my guess.

Here is a dream scenario….Whitehead stays so he can be a top five lottery pick.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    After today's game, what incentive to any of our players have to come back? I mean they work all season long and their season is ended by whatever decision was made by the NCAA for the officiating crew not to call fouls. If you're on the bubble, do you really come back knowing that you could work for another year and just get jobbed again?
    I'm sorry, but that's a loser's mentality.

No idea what any of them will end up deciding, but just from what I know about Flip, he’s not going to like going out like this. His last act in a Duke uniform shooting a meaningless airball, no less.

All players of note, Duke,or elsewhere, must take into consideration the potential for injury of significance. Certainly, NIL money can pay for some insurance, but playing in the league must be substantially more.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Yeah, just to clarify all the Roach stuff once and for all... I don't think anyone on this board thinks he's an NBA player right now, and I'm sure Jeremy and his family know that as well. But you only have so many years to make money as a professional athlete, and Jeremy could very justifiably decide that he's ready to take the next step in his life and start that process. He could decide to try to grind it out in the G-League for a Quinn Cook career path, or go make in the 6 figure range somewhere overseas. It's a choice he has to make as a young man, but one that I hope we can all support him in if he does so.

Now, does NIL change that equation at all? If he can make 6 figures playing at Duke as opposed to overseas, does that change the calculus? Who knows. But all indications are the staff has been planning for a Roach-less 2023-24 squad with how they recruited, not to mention the insider rumblings preseason. We have to live with the reality that this isn't the 80s/90s anymore, and the landscape of college and professional basketball has changed.

I hope we don't have to repeat the above talking point ad nauseum until Jeremy makes his decision, but I have a feeling we might.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

They all stay if the NIL money is right.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Yeah, just to clarify all the Roach stuff once and for all... I don't think anyone on this board thinks he's an NBA player right now, and I'm sure Jeremy and his family know that as well. But you only have so many years to make money as a professional athlete, and Jeremy could very justifiably decide that he's ready to take the next step in his life and start that process. He could decide to try to grind it out in the G-League for a Quinn Cook career path, or go make in the 6 figure range somewhere overseas. It's a choice he has to make as a young man, but one that I hope we can all support him in if he does so.

Now, does NIL change that equation at all? If he can make 6 figures playing at Duke as opposed to overseas, does that change the calculus? Who knows. But all indications are the staff has been planning for a Roach-less 2023-24 squad with how they recruited, not to mention the insider rumblings preseason. We have to live with the reality that this isn't the 80s/90s anymore, and the landscape of college and professional basketball has changed.

I hope we don't have to repeat the above talking point ad nauseum until Jeremy makes his decision, but I have a feeling we might.
    Thanks for clearing that up. The potential lack of experience on the squad next year is troublesome to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Why does a team that can't get out of the 1st weekend in the tournament have that many players that the NBA would covet?
    For Lively and Flip, you can't teach height, even if they are projects. Whitehead, meh, body type, lessen his ball handling and he's good. Roach, gee whiz, just don't see the overall pro strength but I love him, it will take several years. Proctor wasn't in any projected rounds last week and so young. Think he's more 50-50.
    What makes pro teams like Duke players is that they are smart and coachable. Duke teams show discipline and they listen to coaching.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Well, Jon Scheyer said he's changing our recruiting philosophy and I hope he means it. Having 4-5 freshmen on the floor every year playing against teams filled is 23-24 year olds is getting old for me.

I know it's not easy finding the right balance between talent and experience, but hey, doing a tough job is what he signed up for.

Hopefully it starts by selling coming back to some of this year's freshmen.

Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    Or could the officials seemingly allowing teams to use him as a literal punching bag game after game leave a bed enough taste in his mouth for him to want to come back?
    Well he will likely get more of that in the NBA.