Page 14 of 88 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WHOneedsSOX View Post
    There's no reason for Proctor to stay except for guaranteed money (higher draft position in 2024). He can develop just as well if not better in the NBA.
    Idk what Proctor is thinking. Maybe he hates going to classes and UNC so the G league is his best option. But, all things equal, Duke sounds like a lot more fun to me. The exposure and the brotherhood is real. So I wouldn’t go to G league because I could develop just “as well” there.

Quote Originally Posted by dukejunkie View Post
    Point of information for those citing age and reclassification for Proctor staying: he is 2 months younger than Lively and 4 months older than Whitehead. He might stay. However, all the talk this year that he should have been a senior in high school is bunk.
    I chuckle every time I hear that on TV. He is older than I was as a freshman, and I never skipped a grade or was extremely young for my class.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I guess you could call it a sort of post season eye test. For the record, and I don't have the posts to back it up, the only time I've been surprised at someone leaving or not leaving in the past 10-15 years were the departures of Steward and Jackson, so in my mind, I have a pretty good feel for who stays and who goes. For the most part if you are a "player", which Proctor is, you go pro.
    I think this is a nice summary of your position. You have a gut feeling. I admire you for being so honest. Nothing I or others could post could change your position. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Following on the discussion of our big man situation for next year, and the portal vs. “roll with what we have” issue, I think it boils down to this:

What has Jon seen at practice this year out of Christian Reeves? None of us know the answer to this. But it’s critical. He clearly was not ready to play meaningful minutes in games this year. But what’s he doing at practice? Is he showing enough signs of development and potential that Jon feels comfortable in counting on him next year and beyond to be a significant player for us such that we don’t need to go portaling for another big? Or no, he really is quite far away and we need to get someone in and if it means Reeves transfers out, then so be it ?
    Hard to think Reeves doesn't have a future here especially after the team scrimmage from earlier this year. I get that it was just a scrimmage but a 7' 1" dude who can run the floor and already has started to fill out his frame seems like a good bet for some minutes next year. Also, I wonder if he's grown as he looked bigger than Lively when they were side bi side in the huddle. Regardless, count me in the Christian Reeves fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Hard to think Reeves doesn't have a future here especially after the team scrimmage from earlier this year. I get that it was just a scrimmage but a 7' 1" dude who can run the floor and already has started to fill out his frame seems like a good bet for some minutes next year. Also, I wonder if he's grown as he looked bigger than Lively when they were side bi side in the huddle. Regardless, count me in the Christian Reeves fanclub.
    I too have staked out prime real estate on Reeves Island.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I too have staked out prime real estate on Reeves Island.
    I'll just say this. It's starting to get a bit crowded on this island. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can accomplish given more mins, as he showed some potential during the season.

If Proctor isn’t projected to be in the first round…

…I say he stays based on this:

My ultimate goal is to definitely make the NBA whether that’s one or two years however long that may take. At college, I’m on the right path and you know just with some more development and time—I think I have a good chance of making the NBA.
    4:20 mark: https://youtu.be/hL-HftbzRS8

Until any of the starters make an announcement to the contrary, I'm going to assume that they are all leaving. After all, their goal is to play in the NBA. So after they do their due diligence via workouts, gathering scouts' opinions etc they'll know if it is time to go, and then we'll be notified. In the meantime Coach S and his staff will be piecing together scenarios for next year that incorporate another outstanding freshman class with whomever decides to stay at Duke. So I'll just anticipate another year of growth and development in '23 - '24. Having said that, I'll show my age by saying I miss the days when most of the players graduated.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    I'll just say this. It's starting to get a bit crowded on this island. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can accomplish given more mins, as he showed some potential during the season.
    I really hope we don't get a transfer exodus. That just seems to hurt twice as bad. Although, I can't blame these players either. Just like the NBA early exits, they are trying to improve their future.

Unlike the previous few years, I found myself getting drawn in more to this team. Jon's first year, Flip who indicated early on he wanted to be a multi year guy, and then the winning also helped. But like many have said on many of the various threads, it's getting tougher to be a fan. I hate saying that, but it's certainly true for men's NCAA basketball. I don't know the answer to this problem. While NIL has probably helped the one or two and done, it has hurt the college game enabling more transfers than preventing imo. Now that the Covid year is about out of the system, maybe things improve.

Here's to hoping there are a few familiar faces around next year outside of the coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    No one except Young has indicated anything about their intentions.

In other words - every single post regarding who is coming back is 100% opinion, conjecture, and guesses.
    I’m aware of that. Was responding to the posters direct response that “no, I will not admit to that” My apologies if I misunderstood the response.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    So, take this with a massive grain of salt, because it’s Twitter. But this guy Zion O is a journalist for Complex (yes, not a huge sports operation) and has some boba fides (he got an interview with K after his retirement, for one, was ahead of a few stories as they pertained to COVID postponements, and apparently has a relationship with Paolo)… and he’s hinting that the upcoming decisions might be better than he anticipated: https://twitter.com/dukenba/status/1...cT35mxugtfMCvw

It’s very early, Duke was eliminated yesterday & so much can change but if it means anything to you, I’ve changed my decision on one of the guys I predicted was leaving yesterday after hearing info.
    Reading the social media tea leaves is not something most of us relish, but it’s all we’ve got right now. And this is one that at least has some weight behind it, not just a rando with a dozen followers tweeting nonsense. Take it for what you will.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    So, take this with a massive grain of salt, because it’s Twitter. But this guy Zion O is a journalist for Complex (yes, not a huge sports operation) and has some boba fides (he got an interview with K after his retirement, for one, was ahead of a few stories as they pertained to COVID postponements, and apparently has a relationship with Paolo)… and he’s hinting that the upcoming decisions might be better than he anticipated: https://twitter.com/dukenba/status/1...cT35mxugtfMCvw

Reading the social media tea leaves is not something most of us relish, but it’s all we’ve got right now. And this is one that at least has some weight behind it, not just a rando with a dozen followers tweeting nonsense. Take it for what you will.
    Eh, this is the same guy who indicated following the Love and Bacot announcements last year that Keels was going to return. So while I have no doubt he has some bona fides, I don’t put much stock in the accuracy of his predictions on returnees.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Eh, this is the same guy who indicated following the Love and Bacot announcements last year that Keels was going to return. So while I have no doubt he has some bona fides, I don’t put much stock in the accuracy of his predictions on returnees.
    Yup, you’re right… hence the large grain of salt. But if we’re gonna be stuck looking for signs for the next few weeks, at least this is one positive one. Better than this guy saying the opposite, right?

So Paola is returning for his sophomore year? Outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    So Paola is returning for his sophomore year? Outstanding!
    NIL Payola to get the sophomores back?
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That was a short-lived reprieve from my depression. 4 minutes. Thanks guys.

Yup, you’re right… hence the large grain of salt. But if we’re gonna be stuck looking for signs for the next few weeks, at least this is one positive one. Better than this guy saying the opposite, right?
    It might be better than him saying he thinks Proctor and Mitchell are gone. It might not. I am in the camp that these sort of tea leaves aren’t very useful, especially when they come from a guy who made a pretty emphatic whiff last year. So I am pretty agnostic on Zion.O.

FWIW there were other insiders who also thought Keels would return at various points in time, and some who said Keels was genuinely torn on what to do and that his decision really did come down to the last minute. I don't think I'm sharing any kind of privileged information to say that at this point in time. There was also a lot of disagreement the previous year on Patrick Baldwin and whether he had actually verbally committed to us before changing his mind. All that to say nobody really knows for sure including the players themselves, and we'd be best served to wait for an actual announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    That was a short-lived reprieve from my depression. 4 minutes. Thanks guys.
    Hey, at least I tried

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    No one except Young has indicated anything about their intentions.

In other words - every single post regarding who is coming back is 100% opinion, conjecture, and guesses.
    Nothing concrete but Whitehead said after the game he's "ready for the next chapter." Interpret that however you want.