Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Might as well buckle up for the next several weeks. I think Lively, Whitehead and Roach are 100% gone.

I think Flip, Proctor and Mitchell are all likely to test the waters and get the feedback they want or need.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    After today's game, what incentive to any of our players have to come back? I mean they work all season long and their season is ended by whatever decision was made by the NCAA for the officiating crew not to call fouls. If you're on the bubble, do you really come back knowing that you could work for another year and just get jobbed again?
    I would hope our players would see this last game as a reason to come back. They did improve a lot this year, and they could be really good if all or most returned. Hey, it seems players on some other teams view their final season game that way, why not ours.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Flip needs to stay because he is mentally soft right now.
    This is a joke right?

Lively, Whitehead, Roach, Proctor, Flip all going to leave.
    Mitchell??

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Well, Jon Scheyer said he's changing our recruiting philosophy and I hope he means it. Having 4-5 freshmen on the floor every year playing against teams filled is 23-24 year olds is getting old for me.

I know it's not easy finding the right balance between talent and experience, but hey, doing a tough job is what he signed up for.

Hopefully it starts by selling coming back to some of this year's freshmen.
    We did not have that last year- so not every year.

Definitely Gone:
    Roach
    Whitehead
    Lively
    Proctor
    Filipowski

Might be back:
    Mitchell

Definitely back:
    Young
    Blakes

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Might as well buckle up for the next several weeks. I think Lively, Whitehead and Roach are 100% gone.

I think Flip, Proctor and Mitchell are all likely to test the waters and get the feedback they want or need.
    Flip is projected a late lottery pick so he'll likely go. Proctor will probably get a promise from a team. He reminds me of Tyus who's killing it in the NBA. Roach, nothing left for him to prove. If he has his degree he'll just go.

Man, I hope some of you guys are way off on your prognostications!

Lively, Whitehead and almost assuredly Flip are gone to the NBA.

For whatever reason, the insiders have been saying Jeremy isn't returning. He's not NBA material right now, so I assume that means going overseas rather than transferring (but stranger things have happened).

Am really hoping Proctor and Mitchell decide to stay. If we keep both of them, with having Young and Blakes back, we'll be pretty good again next season. If one of those two freshmen also leave, I'd only put us in the good category. If both leave, I can't see us being much more than average.

Quote Originally Posted by quahog174 View Post
    They all stay if the NIL money is right.
    Are you offering?

J. Roach (from the postgame): "I mean, it's not the end of the world, we just lost one March Madness game."

I think that really sums up the here-and-now.

Flip needs to stay because he is mentally soft right now.
    I have to believe this is sarcasm. This is not a even the last thing I think of when thinking of Kyle. Soft is a completely false description.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Well he will likely get more of that in the NBA.
    Games like today are far, far more physical than most NBA games.

My two cents, for whatever it's worth. I put the players in the following tiers:

Exhausted eligibility:
    Catchings, Grandison, Johns

Definitely gone:
    Lively, Whitehead

Probably gone:
    Roach

Has a decision to make:
    Blakes, Filipowski, Schutt

Probably returning:
    Mitchell, Proctor, Reeves, Young

Blakes and Schutt are going to have to decide if their role next year is worth it. Filipowski is going to have to decide if he can get a 1st round guarantee and if that is enough for him to outweigh whatever benefits he sees in college. I don't think Proctor and Mitchell will get enough feedback on their game to leave Duke this summer. Reeves and Young seem like the best bets to me to return. I really, really like Duke's makeup next season if Filipowski, Proctor, and Mitchell all return. If Flip goes pro, there is always the portal.

We need of one of Roach/Proctor and one of Flip/Mitchel to return to be really good next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    Right. The pros don't want to hurt those pretty faces and contracts.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    NBA playoffs are a different animal though, the physicality does go up quite a bit in the post-season. Not to the level of the thugball today, but plenty of physicality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Well, Jon Scheyer said he's changing our recruiting philosophy and I hope he means it. Having 4-5 freshmen on the floor every year playing against teams filled is 23-24 year olds is getting old for me.

I know it's not easy finding the right balance between talent and experience, but hey, doing a tough job is what he signed up for.

Hopefully it starts by selling coming back to some of this year's freshmen.
    Maybe we can be more like Purdue

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Maybe we can be more like Purdue
    To be fair, Purdue started two freshmen guards.

I personally believe all of them should return, but I would like Roach to be replaced by just a better offensive point guard. Lively and Whitehead need to seriously work on their offensive game. Lively can't generate offense on his own. Dariq offense is taking tough 3s, he can't put the ball on the floor and attack the paint at all without losing the ball, the complete opposite of Keels. Why did Keels have to leave? So annoying man

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    My two cents, for whatever it's worth. I put the players in the following tiers:

Exhausted eligibility:
    Catchings, Grandison, Johns

Definitely gone:
    Lively, Whitehead

Probably gone:
    Roach

Has a decision to make:
    Blakes, Filipowski, Schutt

Probably returning:
    Mitchell, Proctor, Reeves, Young

Blakes and Schutt are going to have to decide if their role next year is worth it. Filipowski is going to have to decide if he can get a 1st round guarantee and if that is enough for him to outweigh whatever benefits he sees in college. I don't think Proctor and Mitchell will get enough feedback on their game to leave Duke this summer. Reeves and Young seem like the best bets to me to return. I really, really like Duke's makeup next season if Filipowski, Proctor, and Mitchell all return. If Flip goes pro, there is always the portal.
    There is hope that GM Baker is putting together a program that makes it compelling to STAY in cases where the pre-draft feedback says you could use another year of college ball. If Proctor and Mitchell get that feedback, then staying at Duke and making a few hundred grand is a heck of a fallback.

With Proctor, however, it seems that we recruited him as a OAD. Next year’s class feels like we recruited over Roach, and Tyrese might feel it’s an awfully crowded backcourt next year.

To me, a lot hinges on his return. If he comes back, boy, I like our team.

Edit: Forgot to add my other thought. DJ Steward, maybe Cassius, and Tre Duval among others should be cautionary tales of not hastily making the jump. Hope these cases are part of Coach’s stay-or-go pamphlet.

To be fair, Purdue started two freshmen guards.
    To be fair, The post said 4-5 freshman