Former ACC great Eric Montross has cancer

In sad news, Eric Montross has been diagnosed with cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Thanks for sharing this --prayers for a full and speedy recovery.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I’m sad to hear this also. Cancer is terrible. Hoping for successful treatment for Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    I’m sad to hear this also. Cancer is terrible. Hoping for successful treatment for Eric.
    Agreed. Prayers for Mr Montross.

This is tough news.

I started rooting against Mr. Montross in 1990, and my view only intensified during the decade he played for Dean Smith.

By all accounts, or at least all non-Duke accounts, he’s been a good guy, even back in the day. Aside from doing his radio commentary, he’s raised lots of money for their children’s hospital and for international vaccine distribution. He seems to have a very solid, supportive family.

He’s got all the tools for a successful treatment, including his own obvious grit and determination, but cancer that’s serious enough for an announcement is always a roll of the dice. Warm wishes that he’s healthy and working courtside next fall.

Sorry to hear that Montross has cancer. I pray that he can beat this dreaded disease. Doesn’t matter what shade of blue he wore. Something like cancer puts everything in perspective. Prayers to him and his family!

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    This is tough news.

I started rooting against Mr. Montross in 1990, and my view only intensified during the decade he played for Dean Smith.

By all accounts, or at least all non-Duke accounts, he’s been a good guy, even back in the day. Aside from doing his radio commentary, he’s raised lots of money for their children’s hospital and for international vaccine distribution. He seems to have a very solid, supportive family.

He’s got all the tools for a successful treatment, including his own obvious grit and determination, but cancer that’s serious enough for an announcement is always a roll of the dice. Warm wishes that he’s healthy and working courtside next fall.
    I am a Duke guy through and through, and can confirm he is a really good person. My wife used to work for the fundraising foundation for the Children’s Hospital, and she raves about how down to earth and how nice he is. The few times I met him at events he was incredibly gracious in his praise of my wife’s work.

Sucks to hear he has cancer. Awful news.

Good luck to Eric. The rivalry is in sports, not humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Good luck to Eric. The rivalry is in sports, not humanity.
    Yep.

This is very very sad news. He is truly one of the good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    This is very very sad news. He is truly one of the good guys.
    Always found UNC basketball broadcasts to be indulgences into homerism...until Eric joined their broadcasting team. I actually enjoy his analysis and objectivity, on those rare occasions when I tune in. It's primarily because of his contributions that I do. This news stinks, pretty much everything about cancer stinks. All the best Eric. Beat that damn disease.

Could we move the Montross news into a separate thread? it's seriously killing the vibes in this thread.

Thoughts and prayers to the big guy.

bummer...cancer sucks....hoping for the best for him and his family...

"One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

When he was with the Celtics, Eric Montross lived in my town (a small western suburb of Boston where your reputation couldn't hide, good or bad) and he was universally admired for being deeply involved in all manner of charitable causes, especially the children's hospital, in a manner beyond what was expected for PR purposes. Yes, at the time, I got a chuckle at the Chronicle's "waste of white space" comment, but from everything I heard about him, he really walked the walk.

I am sorry to hear about his diagnosis. I will hope for a complete remission.

I hope that Montross recovers 100% fully and lives a long life... so he can see many a Carolina loss to Duke!

Seriously, cancer is terrible. I hope things were caught early.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Prayers for the big guy. Good player, announcer, and person. Wishing him the best of health to beat this diagnosis for good.

Go To Hell Cancer. Best wishes for Montross.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spencer View Post
    Go To Hell Cancer. Best wishes for Montross.
    If anything needs to actually Go To Hell, it's cancer.
    Prayers for Eric.
    God bless you young man.

The IC thread said cancer was found in his liver, and possibly carried by the lymph nodes. Thats not good. Everything I've ever heard about Montross is that he is a legit class act. My cynical view that terrible things only seem to happen to the best people doesn't make me feel great for his prognosis.

Carolina Volleyball tweeted "Today was 00 day in the gym. We join many in the river of support for our friend, Eric Montross, his wife, Laura, and children, Andrew and Sarah. We want them to know that our team is behind them all in Eric’s battle."

There's also a photo of the whole Tar Heel volleyball team with their backs to the camera, showing their "00" T-shirts in unison. The T-shirts are Carolina blue, so I decided not to post the photo here.