Page 33 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post

The question is, is there data that suggests that player who fits that sort of profile, do they actually help their NBA chances by returning to play in college?
    I don’t have data, but I do have anecdotes. Players like Quinn Cook and Lance Thomas may not fit that exact profile, but they are players that came into college with high expectations, didn’t reach them the first year, stuck with the program, developed, learned how to be winners, won championships and then translated all of that into some nice bling and lucrative NBA careers.

I doubt they would have accomplished what they did in basketball if they had bailed Duke after one or two years.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Luke102452 View Post
    Good news coming
    Well... What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Well... What is it?
    Maybe Caleb Love is returning to UNC and he posted on the wrong thread.

The Old Days

I am old enough to remember when all you had to worry about was which 17-18 year old would chose Duke, you knew who was graduating and leaving and who was staying.

Then you had to worry about which 18-22 year old was going to leave early.

Then which 17-18 year old were going straight to the NBA.

Now it is which 17-18 year olds are coming to Duke, if any 18-22 year olds are leaving early for the NBA or transferring, and if any 18-22 year old on other teams are transferring in.

Lots to worry about.

While the old way was easier for the fans the current system is better for the players. I would like to see some limitations on transfers.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    I think it would be different if people called up Keels and told him he is an idiot, but no one is. We're just venting among peers. There's also a difference in describing a decision as dumb vs. calling a person dumb.
    I would ask if you have a mouse in your pocket, but I realize that you are not the only one venting among peers. Me? My list of things to vent about* is long enough that I don’t have the stamina to get to venting about go/don’t go decisions in the post-Luol Deng era.

*Yeah, the list has a lot of lawyers on it.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    "Mentally broken" is something that you cannot possibly know about another person that you have never met. There is a lot of unfounded judgement in this post of yours.
    Relax. It's the internet.

I don't think they ever toured the south unless they were support act for Sonic Youth or Dinosaur Jr.
    According to this site Nirvana only played three gigs in NC. Two in Capel Hill ('90 and '91) and one in Charlotte ('90).

I don't think they ever toured the south unless they were support act for Sonic Youth or Dinosaur Jr.
    Your mention of Dinosaur Jr. got me to immediately go to their great “You’re Living All Over Me” album. I’m listening to it for the third time tonight as I write this. Sonic Youth “Daydream Nation” will be tomorrow.

Apologies for the thread drift. 🙏

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    From a fan POV, I think there would be great excitement if Quinn Cook joined the coaching staff at Duke or became an announcer or studio analyst. Does QC have more Brotherhood capital than Trevor Keels because he played 4 years and won a championship? Than DJ Steward? Does Roach have more now than if he had left with DJ? I’m sure that Duke wants all the guys to succeed as an example to others. But I don’t really think that Trevon Duvall is as likely to end up on Duke’s coaching staff. I don’t know that for sure but I feel like more time playing for the coaching staff builds a deeper and more valuable relationship. Ditto for the vast Duke network. Am I wrong? Again I’m not talking about Jason Tatum or Zion when they get finished playing. I know Duke Nation (for lack of a better term) will welcome their association with the program in every way possible.
    You aren't coaching at Duke without a college degree.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Good news coming
    Are you about to open your latest bill after bundling your car and home insurance with Progressive?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Your mention of Dinosaur Jr. got me to immediately go to their great “You’re Living All Over Me” album. I’m listening to it for the third time tonight as I write this. Sonic Youth “Daydream Nation” will be tomorrow.

Short circuit everything and put Lithium on very loud.

Ironically, I’m at the Treefort music festival in Boise this evening and Dinosaur Jr. just got off the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Worth noting that both Trevor Keels and DJ Steward have been picking up a few DNP-CDs on their G-League teams lately. Keels has not been re-signed to a 2-way deal since he was waived by the Knicks after his 10-day contract. Now, his 10-day deal likely comes close to making up all the money he is missing from not having the 2-way contract for the rest of the year, but this still is not a big vote of confidence in Trevor's future with the Knicks.

Look, there is no way to know what happens to these guys if they remain in school... no way to know if they developed better in one environment or the other (a million factors impact this)... but it is not outrageous to say that these 19 and 20 year olds might be better off in the same environment as most 19-and-20 year olds, college.
    Looks like Trevor did get back on the two way: https://www.nba.com/knicks/news/knicks-sign-trevor-keels-to-two-way-contract-2

I saw speculation that the 10 day contracts were a way to get him a little bit more cash, but that was from some unknown sports person on Twitter. Either way he has a long road ahead regardless if his jumper never gets on track because most of his physical measureables weren't great.

Quote Originally Posted by backtoback View Post
    Ironically, I’m at the Treefort music festival in Boise this evening and Dinosaur Jr. just got off the stage.
    Whoa, that’s cool! Can they still bring it?

Now that you’ve brought up Nirvana I can’t help but wonder if they ever played on — or at least near to — Duke’s campus. You know, before they were big.
    I saw them at the 9:30 Club in DC in 1991, and I remember that their next scheduled show was in Chapel Hill. My guess would be Cat’s Cradle.

Good news coming
    Is that you, manalishi?

Trying to remember if Mark Williams or Wendell Moore went through the draft workouts in any of the years they returned. I don’t think so, right? I think they just announced they were returning.

I’d be fine with Flip, Proctor and Mitchell all shooting a video together in a drive thru and just casually mention they’re running it back.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dukester View Post
    I think the fact that Lively was able to buy his mom a house with his NIL money should make someone really think about leaving early if they are in a 2nd round to undrafted situation because they could potentially be taking a pay cut. From what I've read and heard about G-League salaries for undrafted players, they are not making "buy my mom a house money." Of course if you're a lock 1st round pick the decision is an easy one. The money is guaranteed at a higher rate AND the team will be more patient and invest in your development and future. 2nd rounders may have more stability in their contracts than before, but that doesn't mean a team won't give up on them sooner or just cut/release them.
    Just to clarify, the range of G-League salaries is pretty severe. Guys on 2-way contracts (and there are plenty of undrafted free agents who get a 2-way) earn $500k/year. That's certainly the kind of money that would allow you to buy a house for mamma. Then again, the vast majority of the G-League is making something like $40-60k per year (depending on certain bonuses that NBA teams typically pay training camp invitees), which is barely enough money to afford an apartment for yourself, let alone a house for your family.

-Jason "and it is worth noting that 'buy a house' could be something as simple as putting up a 25% down payment all the way up to paying cash for the whole thing... and, obviously, the kind of house/location is a huge factor in the cost" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by KBCrazie View Post
    According to this site Nirvana only played three gigs in NC. Two in Capel Hill ('90 and '91) and one in Charlotte ('90).
    Thats interesting. Of course when I got into them in early 92, they never came back around to this area. In reading about their Bleach days, it made it sound like they seldom came to the south, so I figured if they did, it would be as a support act. Granted 3 times in about 5 years is not a lot. They were supposed to headline Lollapalooza 94 and I was hyped as hell to go. Of course we know what happened there.

Thats interesting. Of course when I got into them in early 92, they never came back around to this area. In reading about their Bleach days, it made it sound like they seldom came to the south, so I figured if they did, it would be as a support act. Granted 3 times in about 5 years is not a lot. They were supposed to headline Lollapalooza 94 and I was hyped as hell to go. Of course we know what happened there.
    Since we are WAY off track here, but also have zero new information to work with... My wife paid $2 to see Nirvana on her 21st birthday. They were opening for Dinosaur Jr.