Page 4 of 88 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    There is hope that GM Baker is putting together a program that makes it compelling to STAY in cases where the pre-draft feedback says you could use another year of college ball. If Proctor and Mitchell get that feedback, then staying at Duke and making a few hundred grand is a heck of a fallback.

With Proctor, however, it seems that we recruited him as a OAD. Next year’s class feels like we recruited over Roach, and Tyrese might feel it’s an awfully crowded backcourt next year.

To me, a lot hinges on his return. If he comes back, boy, I like our team.

Edit: Forgot to add my other thought. DJ Steward, maybe Cassius, and Tre Duval among others should be cautionary tales of not hastily making the jump. Hope these cases are part of Coach’s stay-or-go pamphlet.
    Yes, Proctor did not reclassify so he could play 2 years at Duke. He’s a 6-5 pg who can play very good defense. His shot will continue to improve. He’s in a great position to start a career playing ball at an early age. He’s gone because he would be crazy not to. Somebody is going to pick him up, even if he’s drafted as a free agent.

I don’t think Roach was recruited over. I think Jon knew this was his last year.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    There is hope that GM Baker is putting together a program that makes it compelling to STAY in cases where the pre-draft feedback says you could use another year of college ball. If Proctor and Mitchell get that feedback, then staying at Duke and making a few hundred grand is a heck of a fallback.

With Proctor, however, it seems that we recruited him as a OAD. Next year’s class feels like we recruited over Roach, and Tyrese might feel it’s an awfully crowded backcourt next year.

Edit: Forgot to add my other thought. DJ Steward, maybe Cassius, and Tre Duval among others should be cautionary tales of not hastily making the jump. Hope these cases are part of Coach’s stay-or-go pamphlet.
    Yeah, I’ve been harping on this all year… Rachel Baker is at Duke for a reason, and this is it. Pre NIL, we know all these guys we’re even thinking about as potential pros would be gone. Now, we should be able to tell a guy like Mark that he can make more money and play in a better environment at Duke than in the G-League, with arguably similar developmental programs and facilities.

Coach Scheyer has said over and over this season that he expects to have guys back. You have to think he wouldn’t say that without something backing it up. Even if one guy returns, that’s more than has been the case of late, and something to build on.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

It is very possible one or more will make a bad decision and have to work through the G league to get to the NBA. Their goal is to play pro ball. Some will and most won’t.

Will we have room on the roster for a football player or two? Young teams need to have a break glass in case of emergency enforcer on hand for the tournament, if this year has tought me anything.

There is no replacement for Proctor. If he comes back, it's his team to run, no question. Jared McCain and Caleb Foster are just different versions of Jeremy Roach. That is to say, they are scorers/shot creators. Proctor is the only one of the 4 (including Roach) who is a true playmaking guard.

IMO, last year's team with Roach as the nominal "1" only worked because we had a phenomenal iso scorer (Paolo), and a 6'5" point forward (Wendell). Both Wendell and Paolo ended the season with more assists than Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    There is no replacement for Proctor. If he comes back, it's his team to run, no question. Jared McCain and Caleb Foster are just different versions of Jeremy Roach. That is to say, they are scorers/shot creators. Proctor is the only one of the 4 (including Roach) who is a true playmaking guard.

IMO, last year's team with Roach as the nominal "1" only worked because we had a phenomenal iso scorer (Paolo), and a 6'5" point forward (Wendell).
    Agree it’s Proctor’s team to run if he were around next season. However, I’m thoroughly convinced his course has already been charted.

Would love Proctor back, I find it hard to believe he will be though. The space he was creating on his moves today was NBA-level. He was the best player on the court.

Why would Roach be gone ?

Sorry if it’s been asked already: what was the deal with Scheyer learning Mark Mitchell couldn’t go only 5 minutes before the game? Have to say this is odd. Feels like he or his family made a business decision. Why would the communication be so poor?

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Sorry if it’s been asked already: what was the deal with Scheyer learning Mark Mitchell couldn’t go only 5 minutes before the game? Have to say this is odd. Feels like he or his family made a business decision. Why would the communication be so poor?
    Didn’t that happen with Cam Reddish in a tournament game ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Why does a team that can't get out of the 1st weekend in the tournament have that many players that the NBA would covet?
    Because the two issues have nothing to do with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Flip needs to stay because he is mentally soft right now.
    Maybe the worst take of the entire year. Absurd statement. That kid took shot after shot all year to the head, face, throat, and body and all he did is keep his head up and come back and keep fighting. What the heck do you want out of the kid? Did he not give up enough blood for you?

This is total specualtion and is unwarranted. Mark has been a warrior for us all year and deserves better than second guessing his commitment to the team. Yes, the timing is "odd", but a more likely scenario is he thouight he was going to be able to play and as he warmed up he realized something was off, consulted with the training staff, and they made the call.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Maybe the worst take of the entire year. Absurd statement. That kid took shot after shot all year to the head, face, throat, and body and all he did is keep his head up and come back and keep fighting. What the heck do you want out of the kid? Did he not give up enough blood for you?
    I was merely thinking mentally tough as in clutch in big games. The last player that puked due to nerves at Duke was in 2014. Going 0-5 from 3 with 4 TOs is mentally soft.
    Last edited by proelitedota; 03-18-2023 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    This is total specualtion and is unwarranted. Mark has been a warrior for us all year and deserves better than second guessing his commitment to the team. Yes, the timing is "odd", but a more likely scenario is he thouight he was going to be able to play and as he warmed up he realized something was off, consulted with the training staf, and they made the call.
    Not sure this is unwarranted. In an NCAA tournament game where preparation is crucial, you’d hope you know what personnel you have heading into a game. Finding out 5 minutes before a game that you won’t have a player that started every game this season is….well, very odd. Duke always knows the deal with their players, and often keeps their injuries private. This is not shot against Mark at all. Just odd.

Scheyer said postgame that Mitchell mentioned discomfort in the knee yesterday. I assume the way the issue was communicated to the coaching staff was such that they chose to monitor it and that it didn’t rise to the level of requiring anything like X-rays or more extensive treatment — I was under the impression Mitchell thought he could sleep on it and see how he was doing on the day of the game.

Scheyer mentioned that Mitchell said he had no burst in warmups right before the game, and that the coaches decided not to risk playing him. It’s possible that Mitchell attributed his initial knee discomfort to some soreness after the ORU win and that Duke’s staff didn’t detect any red flags when they questioned him further, but I’m in the dark on the details like all of us. We probably won’t know more until after the weekend.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Just want to add one thing to the conversation here… we shouldn’t overlook the benefit of having Jaylen Blakes return as a junior. He improved a ton this year, and there’s every reason to believe he could improve more. By all accounts he’s an incredible character guy and leader. Having a junior, who has now played non-trivial minutes, to compliment two talented freshmen would be a luxury. And by all accounts he came to Duke with the expectation of being a 4 year guy that may not ever get huge minutes. People shouldn’t overlook the potential impact he could have on this team.

I was merely thinking mentally tough as in clutch in big games. The last player that puked due to nerves at Duke was in 2014. Going 0-5 from 3 with 4 TOs is mentally soft.
    Not one of the better posts I have seen you make. Flip was sick on Thursday. He was hit in the face with an elbow today. The guy has been literally punched and hit all season and kept fighting. The kid is a warrior and I believe you are mistaken about him.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Not one of the better posts I have seen you make. Flip was sick on Thursday. He was hit in the face with an elbow today. The guy has been literally punched and hit all season and kept fighting. The kid is a warrior and I believe you are mistaken about him.
    He was hit in the face by an elbow more than once today. Amazingly, one of them was actually called a foul.

And as SVG (I think) said late in the game, "if there were any questions about his toughness, there won't be any after this game." (Paraphrasing)

You think the fact that he was pushed, held, hacked, shoved, elbowed in the face and bloodied all day long by a very very physical defense might have had something to do with making it tough to hit long range shots ? He showed incredible mental toughness today and has all season given the beatings he has taken and how he has come back from them and played excellent, poised, mature basketball.