Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3878868788
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 1750
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Intel gleaned from last night’s banquet:

Blakes and Schutt are planning to return next year. Blakes is planning to graduate in three years, like Jason Williams did. As for Schutt I asked a person close to the program if he was coming back and he said yes (subject to change of course). He said I could “publish the news” but not name him as the source.
    Outstanding news!

I am on the Jaden Schutt bandwagon. I think he's going to be a lot more valuable than expected next season (and the one after that, hopefully) than many will expect. Just getting a full year of practice and occasional game experience will help him know how to prepare and compete. The shot looks so good coming out of his hand and he moves very well. He's one of the few that can shoot off the catch or off the dribble. Having that kind of weapon to space the court will be big. He's also shown a willingness to stick his nose in it. My hope is that he can get his body to the point where he can be more assertive on both ends. It wouldn't surprise me to see him play more early in the season as the incoming freshmen adjust to the pace of play at the college level.

It sure sounds like Jon's plan of more long-range planning and roster stability is coming to fruition.

Looking at the 24-25 backcourt, it's probably safe to assume it won't include Roach or Proctor. Foster and McCain may or may not be back for Year 2. Darren Harris will be a freshman and should compete for minutes on the perimeter. Per 247Sports, Duke has offers out to two players who are listed as guards and 6 players listed as small forwards. Depending on how things go over the next year, I could definitely see Blakes and Schutt being a big part of the rotation.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    It sure sounds like Jon's plan of more long-range planning and roster stability is coming to fruition.

Looking at the 24-25 backcourt, it's probably safe to assume it won't include Roach or Proctor. Foster and McCain may or may not be back for Year 2. Darren Harris will be a freshman and should compete for minutes on the perimeter. Per 247Sports, Duke has offers out to two players who are listed as guards and 6 players listed as small forwards. Depending on how things go over the next year, I could definitely see Blakes and Schutt being a big part of the rotation.
    Now that Jon has a "proof of principle" that he can keep guys around multiple years, I think we'll learn a lot about who is expected to stick around the program, and for how long, from who Jon is targeting in later recruiting classes. At a bare minimum, the lack of focus on guards in the 2024 class indicates that Jon thinks that multiple guys from the group of Foster, McCain, Blakes and Schutt will be around in 2024. Similarly, the lack of bigs could mean that a combo of Sean Stewart and Christian Reeves could be the answer at the proverbial 5 in 2024, or that whomever we are targeting in the transfer portal for this upcoming season might be a multi-year guy (for instance, I believe Shedrick has two years of eligibility remaining thanks to the COVID year).
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    It is so easy to rally around a fallen comrade. I think it is much worse to be in the Duke player's shoes - feeling guilty (whether subconscious or not) trying to beat Louisville after their player sustained that horrible injury.
    Yes, not to mention feeling shaken and perhaps a little sick about what you saw. I still remember seeing (on TV) Tyler Thornton's face, as he was the closest player to Ware when it happened. It looked like he narrowly escaped vomiting.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Intel gleaned from last night’s banquet:

Blakes and Schutt are planning to return next year. Blakes is planning to graduate in three years, like Jason Williams did. As for Schutt I asked a person close to the program if he was coming back and he said yes (subject to change of course). He said I could “publish the news” but not name him as the source.
    That would be absolutely astounding in today's day and age and a testament to the culture Jon is building.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    That is great news about Blakes and Schutt. They are being someone undervalued by some fans because they weren’t in the rotation at all by the end of the season, but I think they can both play a role next season and especially the season beyond, should they choose to stay. Jon said he wanted to get older and have smaller classes with more continuity and this is exactly how you do it.
    Given the potential of sophomore and junior "leaps", I don't think it's outside the realm of possibilities that one or both of these guys beats out the freshmen wings for pt. Honestly I would put more $ on Schutt, because his shooting is a potential weapon. I think the game was just a bit too fast for him. If it slows down and he takes a leap, I could see him playing a lot. And I am in the camp that felt like he wasn't ready this year. But he intrigues me.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Given the potential of sophomore and junior "leaps", I don't think it's outside the realm of possibilities that one or both of these guys beats out the freshmen wings for pt. Honestly I would put more $ on Schutt, because his shooting is a potential weapon. I think the game was just a bit too fast for him. If it slows down and he takes a leap, I could see him playing a lot. And I am in the camp that felt like he wasn't ready this year. But he intrigues me.
    Yeah, and I also feel like we sometimes forget, after one mere season, that Schutt was not a "just a shooter" fringe recruit that we took a chance on... he was a consensus 4* ranked as high as ~#50 in his class. By all accounts, the tools are there to be a contributor at the ACC level, and it's very possible another summer in the program will yield big results.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Yeah, and I also feel like we sometimes forget, after one mere season, that Schutt was not a "just a shooter" fringe recruit that we took a chance on... he was a consensus 4* ranked as high as ~#50 in his class. By all accounts, the tools are there to be a contributor at the ACC level, and it's very possible another summer in the program will yield big results.
    I would take a poor man's Grayson Allen or Luke Kennard. 6th or 7th man and 15-22 minutes a game. Maybe he doesn't take that leap (Joey got better, but incrementally), but I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

After the banquet last night I really hope Blakes doesn't transfer. He's a physical beast and was really developing nicely until the injury with the back-to-back 17 point games. Can see him really helping next year and beyond.
    Also has a strikingly similar smile to Carrawell, not that it really matters I just though it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilFalcon View Post
    After the banquet last night I really hope Blakes doesn't transfer. He's a physical beast and was really developing nicely until the injury with the back-to-back 17 point games. Can see him really helping next year and beyond.
    Also has a strikingly similar smile to Carrawell, not that it really matters I just though it was interesting.
    Blakes also seems like one of the relatively rare guys these days where Duke's academic rigor/prestige is important to him. So, I think his decision would have at least other non basketball considerations that aren't trivial in nature.

I agree. Would love to see him stay, continue to work, and thrive.