Page 43 of 88 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    It’s a shame that so much DBR time and energy is spent attempting to runoff people with differing views! I’ve learned a lot from people with differing views and greatly appreciate their comments, when delivered in a kind and courteous manner.
    *Grabs his pitchfork* who are we running off today?

It’s a shame that so much DBR time and energy is spent attempting to runoff people with differing views! I’ve learned a lot from people with differing views and greatly appreciate their comments, when delivered in a kind and courteous manner.
    Amen! I learn a lot from people with different viewpoints.
    But there are certain posters here (especially one poster in particular— I think we all know who) who feel that their opinions are the only valid ones, and cannot respectfully have a discussion with someone who doesn’t agree with them.
    I like the discussion, and the vast majority of posters are respectful, but I will likely be posting less or not at all in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Amen! I learn a lot from people with different viewpoints.
    But there are certain posters here (especially one poster in particular— I think we all know who) who feel that their opinions are the only valid ones, and cannot respectfully have a discussion with someone who doesn’t agree with them.
    I like the discussion, and the vast majority of posters are respectful, but I will likely be posting less or not at all in the future.
    I am genuinely curious about your vague reference to a certain poster. Is it me? I, and I think most on here, avoid making things personal. I rarely see stat ements like "you always say that" or insults. There are surprisingly few personal attacks on this forum. It is mostly about the ideas. I can be frustrated that others don't seem to change their point of view often even when presented with evidence. But that's life. Few people are willing to change their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    But that's life. Few people are willing to change their mind.
    That’s a real shame! I’m a stock investor and there’s somebody on the other side of every trade I make. I would be a MUCH BETTER investor if I always fully understood their beliefs and position before placing trades.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I am genuinely curious about your vague reference to a certain poster. Is it me? I, and I think most on here, avoid making things personal. I rarely see stat ements like "you always say that" or insults. There are surprisingly few personal attacks on this forum. It is mostly about the ideas. I can be frustrated that others don't seem to change their point of view often even when presented with evidence. But that's life. Few people are willing to change their mind.
    Nah/ it’s not you! And I agree that yes- few people change their minds- even with evidence. I run into this quite often in my career in medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    To be fair, it was not fraggler who made the insider info claim, it was another poster. So, given that fact, fraggler is also dealing in the same hypotheticals as everyone else in this thread.
    I did a quick check and thought it was the same person. Whoops, sorry about that.

Either way, 2 things:

1. I don’t like unverifiable family comments that might reflect on the character of one of our guys. Family drama hardly began recently, and is not confined to basketball. I, for one, certainly wouldn’t want to be known as an entitled complainer based on what some cousin of mine might have said to a near-stranger after a couple of drinks at some party. Maybe it’s a personal quirk, but I would much rather demonstrate my many personality flaws on my own schedule.

2. I avoid hominem attacks. They’re sloppy, lazy and impolite. I’m sure I was triggered by the fact that a poster was critiquing a different poster and calling the rest of us a bunch of whiners, but this isn’t a mud wrestling forum, and I certainly wouldn’t want to run off anybody (unless they say things I don’t like, or I’m in a grouchy mood, or I’m just feeling provocative, then all bets are off).

I’m not sure that counts as a complete apology, but I promise to be more upbeat when Flip, Jeremy, Mark, and Tyrese announce their fall class schedules.
    Last edited by johnb; 03-25-2023 at 07:46 PM.

Nah/ it’s not you! And I agree that yes- few people change their minds- even with evidence. I run into this quite often in my career in medicine.
    Phew! Dodged a bullet there.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    2. I avoid hominem attacks. They’re sloppy, lazy and impolite.
    Ugh.

People who use ad honenim attacks are literally the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Ugh.

People who use ad honenim attacks are literally the worst.
    There are only two things I hate: people who are intolerant of other people’s cultures…and the Dutch

Medicine? Ignoring evidence? Umm, that’s not comforting, I have to say.

That’s a real shame! I’m a stock investor and there’s somebody on the other side of every trade I make. I would be a MUCH BETTER investor if I always fully understood their beliefs and position before placing trades.
    exactly. USE DATA not emotion. when at first we seek to take a stand it is then we lose the ability to understand

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Medicine? Ignoring evidence? Umm, that’s not comforting, I have to say.
    I wasn’t clear- my colleagues DO practice evidence-based medicine. It’s the parents of my pediatric patients that can be tough to convince sometimes.

I run into this quite often in my career in medicine.
    Saaaaaaaame!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Anyway, the standard for bad-relative behavior is very high (low?), set by Derryck Thornton's uncle in 2015-2016. He blasted Duke at every opportunity, and the family forced him to transfer after freshman year (via reports at the time from Duke classmates who took a teary Derryck to RDU). How'd that work out. Well, he averaged 7 ppg at Duke and 8 ppg at his other colleges (USC and BC).
    12.5% increase! Also this shows why Bostondevil and I HATE % increase when used in a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    12.5% increase! Also this shows why Bostondevil and I HATE % increase when used in a vacuum.
    What’s with the anti-vacuum stance?

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    There are only two things I hate: people who are intolerant of other people’s cultures…and the Dutch
    I hate people like that!

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    What’s with the anti-vacuum stance?
    I just got labeled as an anti-vacuumer just because I did my own floor cleaning research.

I just got labeled as an anti-vacuumer just because I did my own floor cleaning research.
    They profit from selling you a vacuum, you know. Follow the money!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    They profit from selling you a vacuum, you know. Follow the money!
    That's what big vacuum wants you to think.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    What argument are you dragging me into!?!

Oh, we're railing against percent increase as an outcome measure? Yeah, do that, carry on.

Also sporks.