Page 9 of 88 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Not that it's necessarily being disputed but Ryan confirmed he is coming back in a postgame interview today: https://youtu.be/YDaK6bjEFvw

Coach Scheyer mentioned in a press conference (I can't remember exactly which one) that he is recruiting Jeremy to come back for one more year, which confirms two things in my eyes:

1. Jeremy is considering leaving, and
    2. Coach Scheyer wants him back

The rumors that Jeremy is leaving began to surface around early to mid February if I remember correctly, which was just after his worst stretch of performances. I assume he was playing hurt while recovering from the foot/toe injury he suffered. Many fans (myself included) were extremely frustrated with his play at the time. This may have been the reason he began to look elsewhere.

But really, he's been awesome over the last part of the season (probably due being fully healthy), and I think just about all of us would like to have him back if possible. How long has it been since we've had a senior guard with this much post season experience? I think there's just no way this team is better without Jeremy Roach than with him. If he is considering leaving, I hope he changes his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Coach Scheyer mentioned in a press conference (I can't remember exactly which one) that he is recruiting Jeremy to come back for one more year, which confirms two things in my eyes:

1. Jeremy is considering leaving, and
    2. Coach Scheyer wants him back

The rumors that Jeremy is leaving began to surface around early to mid February if I remember correctly, which was just after his worst stretch of performances. I assume he was playing hurt while recovering from the foot/toe injury he suffered. Many fans (myself included) were extremely frustrated with his play at the time. This may have been the reason he began to look elsewhere.

But really, he's been awesome over the last part of the season (probably due being fully healthy), and I think just about all of us would like to have him back if possible. How long has it been since we've had a senior guard with this much post season experience? I think there's just no way this team is better without Jeremy Roach than with him. If he is considering leaving, I hope he changes his mind.
    When did Scheyer say this? I’m asking because I heard him talk in a recent press conference about how Jeremy was his most important recruit for this year, but I don’t believe he has ever said anything about Jeremy for next year in public at all. If you have a reference, great, but I don’t think this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Draymond Greene
    BigZ...you owe me a dry cleaning bill...I laughed so hard my coffee spilled all over my couch.

Quote Originally Posted by grateful_duke View Post
    Incoming Freshmen:

Caleb Foster (CG)
    Jared McCain (CG)
    Mackenzie Mgbako (F)
    TJ Power (PF)
    Sean Stewart (PF)

Returners:
    Mark Mitchell
    Tyrese Proctor
    Ryan Young
    Jaylen Blakes
    Christian Reeves
    Jaden Schutt

Transfer(s)?

Assuming Filipowski, Lively, Whitehead and Roach leave...that leaves two open scholarships; look for us to fill those voids via the transfer portal.
    Mitchell and Proctor could also jump for the NBA, so we should keep an eye on them moving forward. Purely speculation, but I wouldn't be shocked if Blakes and/or Schutt entered the transfer portal.

What do you guys think? I'd imagine Mark stays another year, but think Tyrese could be gone. If both stay, then I really like our team next year.
    gratefulduke...I like your list and thoughts so let me make my comments based on your post.

First, due to scholarship limits (13), 2 players on the current team have to leave the team. So the first thoughts we should have is not who stays but who has to go. Of the 4 players in bold, Lively and Whitehead are most ready for the NBA. (Notice I did not say where they are on mock drafts just comparing them to Jeremy and Flip.)

Second, Jon has mentioned wanting to change recruiting and get more 3-4 year players, so NOW is the time to start. He and the staff (including Rachel Baker) need to do whatever they can to keep Schutt, Blakes and Reeves from leaving the team. These are the players that in 2-3 years will be the grown men on the team. In this case I am not saying they will be starters next year but I would hope they make a move into the rotation.

Third (or perhaps second), Jon and the staff need to do whatever they can to keep Jeremy, Flip, Tyrese and Mark on the team. They will be the grown men on the team next year.

My last comment is that we as fans are still in a "one and done" mentality. We assume that the 5 freshman will be in the rotation because they are the most talented. However, a team of Jeremy, Tyrese, Flip, Mark and Ryan...with Jaylen, Jaden and Christian coming off the bench would be pretty good.
    They may not be the most talented 8 players on the roster but they have been through the wars together.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    We need of one of Roach/Proctor and one of Flip/Mitchel to return to be really good next year.
    This is the bare minimum of what we need for next year. Next year's recruiting class for us is not as good as it was this year. Not having a presence like Lively next year is going to be a big hole to fill. And with continued youth, we will continue to be vulnerable to physical teams.

If we return neither of Roach and Proctor, it will be a big setback. Will feel like the rough guard play we had earlier this year all over again next year.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I love having Ryan. But I think the truth of the matter is that he was really good against lower quality, less athletic teams and much less able to do anything against the higher quality, more athletic ones. Basically unplayable today, for instance.

I too have major doubts about whether Reeves will be ready to be a meaningful contributor next year, much less start. He showed nothing even close to that this year. If Flip leaves, we should go portaling for another big.
    If our bigs are Young, Reeves, and Stewart, that is a big potential problem. Maybe Reeves makes a leap or maybe Stewart is really good immediately, but I don't think anyone should expect either.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    If our bigs are Young, Reeves, and Stewart, that is a big potential problem. Maybe Reeves makes a leap or maybe Stewart is really good immediately, but I don't think anyone should expect either.
    Agree with this. And finding a very good starting C from the portal is also asking for a lot. The C position looks like it will be a big vulnerability next year.

It’s a conundrum though right? Because the alternative, if no one comes back, would be to look to the portal. If I’m Reeves and Duke brings in a big from the portal I’m entering the portal myself.

Actually

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Do you have confirmation of this? I’m confused why you’re so confident. No doubt Mark Mitchell is a warrior. I’m in no way saying he isn’t. I’m saying there’s a chance they played it safe with him on a short timeline. And that it’s very abnormal for a head coach in an ncaa tournament game to find out 5 minutes before the game starts that a starter isn’t playing. Sorry buddy, that’s odd. Listen to Dariq in post game interviews, he said he wasn’t prepared to start. Dariq starting turned him into more of a creator than catch/shoot where he’s been most effective. There’s a ripple effect, not to mention the general toughness and depth Mark provides. Who knows why we found out so late. But it’s most certainly “odd.”

Mark is a player with pro aspirations. Playing it safe is a possibility, especially with a knee injury on a short timeline.
    Exact same thing hapened with Cam Reddish in 2019, in the sweet sixteen. But I agree it is unusual.

Exact same thing hapened with Cam Reddish in 2019, in the sweet sixteen. But I agree it is unusual.

I think Reddish even warmed up and then just said he could not go.

Returned for the MSU game but was not very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    It’s a conundrum though right? Because the alternative, if no one comes back, would be to look to the portal. If I’m Reeves and Duke brings in a big from the portal I’m entering the portal myself.
    This is essentially the problem Jon finds himself in with regards to his statement of wanting more continuity - how do we break the cycle? Are we willing to let Reeves develop, taking our lumps next season in hopes that he’ll be an experienced big the following season? Or do we bring in a portal guy and then have to do the same the following season because Reeves either didn’t develop or transferred away?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    When Young announced he was coming back I was pretty ecstatic, and I still like that we’ll have him for another year but I’m less optimistic that he and Reeves will be “enough.” After being our offensive anchor for the first half of the season he has fallen off so much, I no longer see him as a starting caliber center. We’ll hopefully have better shooting around him next season but even with Stewart playing some minutes at the 5 I think we need to go after a portal big and let Young continue coming off the bench.
    I'll go ahead and post this before reading the last 2 pages on this topic. I agree with your take on our Center position next season. If Duke is going to be a top 25 team, I don't see it with Young or Reeves as the starting center. Against top teams, Young was abused on defense (yesterday for sure) and Reeves only saw garbage minutes this season. From most preseason reports, he was going to be reshirted. My hope is we go the transfer route and try to get a difference maker at the center position. Coach Scheyer has said he hopes to have some players come back and insinuated he wants more experienced teams. I want that as well, but if that's the case, we're probably looking at one or two years of not being a top 25 team. It can't happen over night because our guys coming back aren't getting much playing time as freshmen. Shutt and Reeves are perfect examples.

GoDuke!

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    This is essentially the problem Jon finds himself in with regards to his statement of wanting more continuity - how do we break the cycle? Are we willing to let Reeves develop, taking our lumps next season in hopes that he’ll be an experienced big the following season? Or do we bring in a portal guy and then have to do the same the following season because Reeves either didn’t develop or transferred away?
    Here’s another question on this front: if we assume Reeves is the center of the future, including to some degree next year, do we really think we can find someone in the portal more effective than Young who is OK not being a sure fire starter/offensive focus? I think not. The board has seemingly forgot how good Ryan was early in the year despite his offensive limitations… it’s no coincidence his minutes started dropping as Dereck started playing well enough to merit closer to 30 mpg. And transfer portal players also aren’t sure things (just look 8 miles down the road for an example)… personally, I’d rather have a known quantity (who is also known to be a fantastic leader) in Young than take a risk on a question mark in the portal, especially if that risks Reeves development.

If our options at the 5 next year are Young/Reeves/Stewart, it won’t be a position of strength like it has the past two years. But in the modern game, teams can be very successful with complimentary bigs and a guard driven offense. No reason to think that couldn’t be the case (with a higher ceiling given the scouting report on Stewart and how high the staff seems to be on Reeves) in this scenario.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Here’s another question on this front: if we assume Reeves is the center of the future, including to some degree next year, do we really think we can find someone in the portal more effective than Young who is OK not being a sure fire starter/offensive focus? I think not. The board has seemingly forgot how good Ryan was early in the year despite his offensive limitations… it’s no coincidence his minutes started dropping as Dereck started playing well enough to merit closer to 30 mpg. And transfer portal players also aren’t sure things (just look 8 miles down the road for an example)… personally, I’d rather have a known quantity (who is also known to be a fantastic leader) in Young than take a risk on a question mark in the portal, especially if that risks Reeves development.

If our options at the 5 next year are Young/Reeves/Stewart, it won’t be a position of strength like it has the past two years. But in the modern game, teams can be very successful with complimentary bigs and a guard driven offense. No reason to think that couldn’t be the case (with a higher ceiling given the scouting report on Stewart and how high the staff seems to be on Reeves) in this scenario.
    I agree it won't be a position of strength which lowers the team defense. Unless, Reeves is the 2nd coming of Mark Williams. Young was good against lower teams, but against the good teams, he was abused on defense. Our best looking incoming recruits are perimeter players and a really good looking 3 or 4. Stewart is a short 5 (6'8") or a good sized 4. It's going to be interesting to see what Coach Scheyer does if he loses most of this years freshmen.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    The issue is that if Young/Reeves/Stewart is our 5 next year, rim protection is a major question mark. Guard driven offense might work, but then we have our next problem which is if both Roach and Proctor are gone, we are relying on freshman guards (Schutt and Blakes are not guys to lead an offense). Perimeter defense with freshman guards also will make for some serious growing pains.

Reality is we NEED one of Proctor or Roach back AND Flip back to support the 5 position. Without that talent returning expecting the portal to solve the gaps is asking for too much. The additional question also of whether we risk Reeves and/or Schutt leaving because we go to the portal and throw the continuity aspiration out the window.

Let's pray for some returning players!

Excruciating and depressing time of year

In the annual ritual of dissecting who stays and who goes we already have 172 posts and can look forward to almost a month more before we are put out of our misery on April 13 with the NBA deadline for declaring. For Coach K one and dones made sense since retirement was always in the background. Our new coach would love to field an experienced team that will not be pushed around by future Tennessee-like teams. How does he get there? He needs to recruit some of this year’s core to return. Of the top 8 only Young has indicated he will return. It is hard for me to believe that all five freshmen and Roach would be drafted. That would be 10% of the draft, all outside the lottery. Perhaps with the help of NIL money, the value of a Duke education and experience, the prospect of moving up in a future draft, and Scheyer’s salesmanship we can keep some of the borderline NBA players for another year. In the meantime bring on the wails and lamentations until the dust settles and we sink into the dark period of no basketball news.

Quote Originally Posted by indy1duke View Post
    Perhaps with the help of NIL money, the value of a Duke education and experience, the prospect of moving up in a future draft, and Scheyer’s salesmanship we can keep some of the borderline NBA players for another year.
    Sure.

Perhaps.

I always assume everyone is gone and try to be pleasantly surprised if literally anyone returns.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    Too soon for this, but I'll say if Proctor returns and gets the sophomore shooting bump, we're going to be really, really good.
    Tyrese has always struck me as an archetypical NBA guard.

I have no problem going into next year with Stewart/Reeves/Young. Reeves will not defend anywhere near Lively or Mark Williams, but he will score some which will be a welcome change from this year. Coach Scheyer will mix and match and play zone when necessary. I see Reeves as being similar to Syracuse's Edwards last year, maybe a 15-18 minute a game guy and a really good full time center the following year.