Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I understand that idea. But I suspect more people watched Duke/Tennessee than will watch Tennessee/FAU
    Perhaps, but it's not just people watching. It requires more commentators, pundits, and articles calling for change. That's only possible the further TN goes. By the way, I'm not optimistic about this.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Perhaps, but it's not just people watching. It requires more commentators, pundits, and articles calling for change. That's only possible the further TN goes. By the way, I'm not optimistic about this.
    My prediction is that officials in general have become aware of all this criticism. And the crew in the next Tennessee game will have a tight whistle. I guess we’ll see this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Don’t get me started on the officiating in that game. I was at the game and the illegal screens and push offs not being called were ridiculous. Rebounding was like watching Bacot wearing green and white…
    They won that game because of the way they were allowed to "defend" Zion. Hard for him to out jump your guys if you're holding him on every rebound or shot attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    They won that game because of the way they were allowed to "defend" Zion. Hard for him to out jump your guys if you're holding him on every rebound or shot attempt.
    Totally agree. I was at that game, sitting behind the basket. They had his jersey in their hands on just about every play. Every one of Tre’s alley-oop passes sailed out of bounds, for the first time all year. Hard to jump if the other team has your jersey.

And I’ll add, Zion’s frustration led to his foul trouble in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I understand that idea. But I suspect more people watched Duke/Tennessee than will watch Tennessee/FAU
    True, but more people will be open to the idea that Tennessee is getting away with being too physical if the opponent that loses to them is not Duke. There are tons of people that hate Duke so much they can't be objective and don't care how it happens, Duke losing is always a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    True, but more people will be open to the idea that Tennessee is getting away with being too physical if the opponent that loses to them is not Duke. There are tons of people that hate Duke so much they can't be objective and don't care how it happens, Duke losing is always a good thing.
    Exactly. Every time the refs blow a whistle there will not be anyone saying "well once again FAU is getting all the calls."

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Totally agree. I was at that game, sitting behind the basket. They had his jersey in their hands on just about every play. Every one of Tre’s alley-oop passes sailed out of bounds, for the first time all year. Hard to jump if the other team has your jersey.

And I’ll add, Zion’s frustration led to his foul trouble in the first half.
    That and an underthrown lob by RJ where Zion fouled the guy who stole the ball and then had to go to the bench. We had a good lead at the time, and a Zion thunder dunk could have brought the house down. I definitely remember one lob where Zion just got a couple of inches off the ground because he was being grabbed and one where he ended up under the basket because he got shoved.

I'm sorry, but the more I think about this game, the madder I get about how terrible the refs were and how they fully allowed Tennessee to foul without consequence (let alone without calling most of them).

Check out this video of highlights from the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFvoCGFPBbc

Go to the 27 second mark. Whitehead catches a ball and hits a three pointer. Filipowski is in the paint looking at the shot. Then watch Plavsic. He looks at Filipowski and then INTENTIONALLY takes a running start and levels him. Knocks him to the ground. A foul was called. It should have been a flagrant, tossing him out of the game. It's so clear that Barnes, and their entire team, came into that game saying "we are going to hammer them again and again and again, and punch them in the mouth." I don't mind tough defense, but this was tackle football.

And yes, I expect Tenn to lose their next game, as the refs call everything on them, which should have happened Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    I'm sorry, but the more I think about this game, the madder I get about how terrible the refs were and how they fully allowed Tennessee to foul without consequence (let alone without calling most of them).

Check out this video of highlights from the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFvoCGFPBbc

Go to the 27 second mark. Whitehead catches a ball and hits a three pointer. Filipowski is in the paint looking at the shot. Then watch Plavsic. He looks at Filipowski and then INTENTIONALLY takes a running start and levels him. Knocks him to the ground. A foul was called. It should have been a flagrant, tossing him out of the game.
    My wife was so mad about that play that she wrote a letter to Rick Barnes. I didn't read it, but I imagine it was a bit strident...

Duke-Tenn is not nearly the searing memory that Duke-UConn was in 2004. That game was highway robbery and, basically, was for the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Duke-Tenn is not nearly the searing memory that Duke-UConn was in 2004. That game was highway robbery and, basically, was for the championship.
    Calhoun the goon.

What is the dynamic between officials anyway? Is there usually a lead official, do two often defer to a third to see how they’re going to call a game? I didn’t name him before but this Kipp Kissinger guy has me more irritated than ever, especially when I see his history.

NCAA: NCAA DI Men's Basketball Committee announces game officials for Sweet 16 and Elite 8

The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee has approved 40 game officials recommended by Chris Rastatter, the national coordinator of officiating, to work the 2023 regional semifinals and finals. A three-person crew will work each game, while one official will serve as the standby official for every game at each of the four regional sites.
    Some familiar names on the list, including Kipp Kissinger and AJ Desai, 2 of the 3 referees of the Duke-Tennessee game. (I'm not sure why Michael Greenstein is not also on the list, but I assume it has something to do with seniority or availability.) The point is that both the NCAA and the national coordinator of officiating seem to be okay with the job they did.

Better Blue Podcast

Ryan Kelly and James McAdoo talked about the Duke TN game, who should stay and who should leave. The first two third or so are about Duke
    https://youtu.be/VRHiSwyGH4w

I couldn’t find a pro wrestling or MMA thread for this news

https://apple.news/ARLIZgQxoTTS3EM-jJxx9gQ

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I couldn’t find a pro wrestling or MMA thread for this news

https://apple.news/ARLIZgQxoTTS3EM-jJxx9gQ
    Somewhere Flip is happy...

https://www.on3.com/teams/tennessee-...e-thanks-fans/

Not a basketball player, a thug. Glad he’s gone, college basketball will be better without him.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Not a basketball player, a thug. Glad he’s gone, college basketball will be better without him.
    If I read this article correctly, he is going to ASU and Bobby Hurley?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkingdukedog View Post
    If I read this article correctly, he is going to ASU and Bobby Hurley?
    No, he was previously at ASU. He's turning pro.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    No, he was previously at ASU. He's turning pro.
    I assume you mean pro wrestling.